• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What software internet forums use

blueberry11

If you don't know already, this forum uses XenForo, which should be displayed at the very bottom of the page. Can anyone else find which forums use XenForo?

One other forum that I think uses XenForo is the Stardew Valley Forums (a popular video game) as it looks like it uses the same software as this forum because when I hover over a profile, it looks like the same popup, but I cannot find it as it is not displayed at the very bottom or elsewhere.

Sabre Roads uses phpBB, which is also shown at the very bottom.

However, Piston Heads (another motoring forum) and the Oyster Fares Central (who is operated by Mike, one of the users here) do not display it so it means that they power their own forum, right?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

blueberry11

Not necessarily. Some software packages allow you to pay [a little more] to get an unbranded version.
I meant to put a question mark or add 'right?' at the very end of the sentence, not a full stop. Will edit it accordingly.

So to sum up, the Stardew Valley Forum uses the same software as this one, it's just that it hides what software its using. A bit like using Wix (an online website builder) where it shows that unless you paid extra, it will still show what software it is made from.

Crossover

Established Member
This forum previously used vBulletin. There are still sites out there which use it, though I can’t put my finger on any examples off hand

jon81uk

Most of the ones I regularly use now are XenForo, with tweeks, for example this site doesn't use reactions, TowersStreet (Alton Towers and theme park community) restricts to only the more positive reactions, WDWMagic (Disneyworld forum) allows all six reactions. But all three are some form of Xenforo.

Money Saving Expert is an exception as it uses Vanilla.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
If you don't know already, this forum uses XenForo, which should be displayed at the very bottom of the page. Can anyone else find which forums use XenForo?

Interesting question. Out of interest, why do you want to know?

An easy way to find out a fair few sites is that Xenforo's home page shows some of them - along the bottom of the page. And there's a much bigger list in Xenforo's showcase page.