• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What to do in a place with no railways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am currently in Jersey for 4 days and the Island lost its railways shortly after the war.

But some of the lines are now footpaths.

So after landing yesterday, I walked up to St Brelades then walked along the Old Corbiere line. Went to a hotel for some lunch with stunning view of Corbiere Lighthouse.

After lunch walked across to the Lighthouse. I went back and checked the time for the buses. But it was quite a long wait, so walked the line back. On the outward, I had cut off a little too early, so on the return, walked it from the site of Cobiere Station, where the platform still survives, but is been built upon.

Once back at St Brelades, rather than get the bus, I carried onto St Aubins, passing under a couple of road bridges that remain and finished at the old station at St Aubins which still survives and is now a police station.

From St Aubins, it was the bus forward.

Corbiere-St Brelades was on the flat, but St Brelades-St Aubins it was on a hill, although it was down hill for me, it was clear when the line was open, the driver would have to be on the power all the way up.

Another little game ive been playing is with the Car registration numbers. In Jersey is J proceeding a 5 or 6 digit number, so ive been looking out for Diesel & Electric loco numbers, plus afew selected steam locos, pre-tops Deltic and Western numbers.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

steamybrian

Established Member
I am currently in Jersey for 4 days and the Island lost its railways shortly after the war.

So after landing yesterday, I walked up to St Brelades then walked along the Old Corbiere line. Went to a hotel for some lunch with stunning view of Corbiere Lighthouse.

After lunch walked across to the Lighthouse. I went back and checked the time for the buses. But it was quite a long wait, so walked the line back. On the outward, I had cut off a little too early, so on the return, walked it from the site of Cobiere Station, where the platform still survives, but is been built upon.

Once back at St Brelades, rather than get the bus, I carried onto St Aubins, passing under a couple of road bridges that remain and finished at the old station at St Aubins which still survives and is now a police station.

Corbiere-St Brelades was on the flat, but St Brelades-St Aubins it was on a hill, although it was down hill for me, it was clear when the line was open, the driver would have to be on the power all the way up.

Another little game ive been playing is with the Car registration numbers. In Jersey is J proceeding a 5 or 6 digit number, so ive been looking out for Diesel & Electric loco numbers, plus afew selected steam locos, pre-tops Deltic and Western numbers.

Many years ago when I was in Jersey I walked eastwards from St. Helier trying to find the route of the old railway to Gorey. Most of the route is now lost to redevelopment but it made a pleasant mornings walk arriving in Gorey around lunchtime where I sat in a café/pub overlooking the harbour before catching the bus back.

Requeststop

I have to say that you wrote a lovely report. I have always wanted to visit the CI's. I was wondering if there are any books on the CI railways. I'd be very interested to read more about the lines and their history.

I was wondering if you may have thought of contacting BBC Radio Jersey and Guernsey and Channel Television to see if they have any past programmes about the lines. I'm also wondering if there was a small railway on Alderney, maybe built by the Nazi slave labourers during the occupation? There is something in the back of my mind about that.

Your heading is what to do in a place with no railways. Thinking about Islands, one of my most favourite places to visit in the UK are the Scillies or Isles of Scilly (never the Scilly Isles - they go ape if you say that) The Outer Islands are wonderful and if you get the chance go to Gugh or Samson. They are both uninhabited. Marvellous if you can get a good day and need to be alone. Tresco is fantastic with it's gardens and the villages of Old and New Grimsby, and a couple of good pubs and restarunts. Then the smaller Islands of St Martins, Bryher, St. Agnus, each of them different but fascinating and each with wonderful food and drink, and then the main Island of St Mary's, again with lots to see and do, even when it's pouring down with rain (as it often does) but alas without a whiff of an iron horse ever. Te "flying egg-whisk service is alas no more too. If you want to get there quickly and not suffer from sea sickness then you must fly from Lands' End Airstrip, when it's not flooded over with rain water. There is nothing like the Scillies anywhere on the mainland but it certianly is different and well worth the journey by rail to Penzance to get there.

Last edited:

Have you been to the Pallot Steam, Motor and General Museum yet? Nearest thing to a railway museum on the island. From what I remember from my visit ten years ago, there is also a small museum in St Helier showing the German 900mm and 600mm conversions of the lines, including some new ones, during the occupation.

http://www.pallotmuseum.co.uk/heritage/pages/loco_at_station/

Thankyou for the info on that. Had a look at the website. Trains run on Tuesdays starting next week and in the main holiday season, also on Thursdays. Definatly one for the future.

Maybe the thread should be called Places with very few railways. Want to go to Alderney for a ride on that railway.

wintonian

Established Member
I used find the old German fortifications on Guernsey quite interesting - in a way that was interesting to a 10 -12 year old anyway.

High Dyke

Established Member
I have to say that you wrote a lovely report. I have always wanted to visit the CI's. I was wondering if there are any books on the CI railways. I'd be very interested to read more about the lines and their history.
According to wikipedia:

List of Channel Islands railways:

Alderney Railway (working)
Guernsey Railway (closed)
Jersey Railway (closed)
Jersey Eastern Railway (closed)

Books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Railways-Channel-Islands-Pictorial-Survey/dp/0853614342

Status
Not open for further replies.