• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What TOC’s require the national benchmark only?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unknockable

A couple years ago I sat an assessment which required me to pass at the enhanced standard. After some feedback I was informed I’ve met the national standard so I can apply to companies that only require that.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dec_10

A couple years ago I sat an assessment which required me to pass at the enhanced standard. After some feedback I was informed I’ve met the national standard so I can apply to companies that only require that.
Northern are one:)

Stigy

Established Member
You can apply to others, you’ll just have to resit the tests you didn’t me the higher standard in.

SWR is national standard.

Unknockable

You can apply to others, you’ll just have to resit the tests you didn’t me the higher standard in.

SWR is national standard.
On my next attempt, I think it would be in my best interest to go for a TOC that requires the national standard only, hopefully something pops up soon!

Dynamonic

On my next attempt, I think it would be in my best interest to go for a TOC that requires the national standard only, hopefully something pops up soon!

I reckon as time goes on, more and more TOCs will require an enhanced standard as a way of further filtering the increasingly high number of applicants. I understand that some TOCs have differing enhanced standards too for different tests, so what may not be the 'enhanced' standard for one TOC, may be the 'enhanced' standard for another too.
You should not be put off applying for TOCs that have an enhanced standard either, as you could be severely limiting your options.

Unknockable

I reckon as time goes on, more and more TOCs will require an enhanced standard as a way of further filtering the increasingly high number of applicants. I understand that some TOCs have differing enhanced standards too for different tests, so what may not be the 'enhanced' standard for one TOC, may be the 'enhanced' standard for another too.
You should not be put off applying for TOCs that have an enhanced standard either, as you could be severely limiting your options.
Yeah I think so aswell and understand that, I won’t be put off. Only thing I’m concerned about is when I have to answer on an application form ‘Have you previously failed a driver assessment test before’ I’m going to have to say yes and it will possibly stop me from being considered from the get go or will it not? Will they even be aware of the other tests I’ve met the standard for at that stage?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Only thing I’m concerned about is when I have to answer on an application form ‘Have you previously failed a driver assessment test before’ I’m going to have to say yes

Have you ‘failed’ it though? You have passed to the National Standard.

Stigy

Established Member
Yeah I think so aswell and understand that, I won’t be put off. Only thing I’m concerned about is when I have to answer on an application form ‘Have you previously failed a driver assessment test before’ I’m going to have to say yes and it will possibly stop me from being considered from the get go or will it not? Will they even be aware of the other tests I’ve met the standard for at that stage?
I think they just use that to indicate whether you have had your two goes. I’ve only seen one application form ask this too.

OneLowban

I personally wouldn’t call ‘passing’ at national standard a ‘fail’.

There are just levels, anything past the first level (national) would be a pass to me. :s

Unknockable

Have you ‘failed’ it though? You have passed to the National Standard.
Oh yeah, you’re right. Got a bit confused there. I didn’t meet the enhanced standard for the group bourdon (I know I was very quick on that but I also had A few emissions) and The SJT, which was the worse part of the day. Some of the answers are so ambiguous

Last edited:

Stigy

Established Member
Oh yeah, you’re right. Got a bit confused there. I didn’t meet the enhanced standard for the group bourdon (I know I was very quick on that but I also had A few emissions) and The SJT, which was the worse part of the day. Some of the answers are so ambiguous
I don’t recall doing an SJT as part of the process other than for the MMI? I passed to enhanced level, however the Group Bourden is one I don’t understand being at that level. I had to redo this to meet the enhanced standard as my current pass mark wasn’t at that level (my initial tests weren’t to enhanced level anyway). I don’t recall doing anything any faster this time round than I did 3-years ago when I first took it.

387star

On Moderation
Thameslink have one of the highest pass requirements in the industry

DOO operators normally require a fault finding test which I passed with Greater Anglia

Cavey81

GTR are only to national standard. I spoke to their HR last week and they confirmed this.

Unknockable

Thameslink have one of the highest pass requirements in the industry

DOO operators normally require a fault finding test which I passed with Greater Anglia
Yes, mine was with Arriva and I had a fault finding test.
I would assume virgin also have the highest pass requirment since they don’t even hire trainees. Forgive my lack of knowledge here but what does DOO stand for?

Dynamonic

I would assume virgin also have the highest pass requirment since they don’t even hire trainees. Forgive my lack of knowledge here but what does DOO stand for?

DOO = Driver Only Operation. :) Basically, trains with no guards.

Stigy

Established Member
If they don’t hire trainees and only qualified drivers, the assesments are irrelevant aren’t they? I know of somebody who went to work for them as a qualified driver but had to retake some tests which I found strange, but not Psychometric assessments.

ComUtoR

Established Member
It's called a 'Training Needs Analysis' All qualifieds transferring TOCs should undertake one. It's pretty standard procedure.

beavercreek

I don’t buy into this “enhanced pass” or “pass”.
There will be other factors which will decide if you get employment within a TOC/FOC.
If you are already part of the railway you will have a massive advantage should a position become available at your depot.
People who pass to an high standard don’t always become the safest drivers.
I keep saying I’ll print out the GBT sheets and have a laugh in the messroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.