• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What was the last change you were genuinely excited about?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devon_belle

When was the last time you were genuinely excited about a change or improvement to the railways? For me it was probably the reopening of the Okehampton line or the construction of Marsh Barton station (which sadly did not happen before I moved away!)

Bonus points if you weren't let down :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Okehampton has to be up there, especially travelling on it last year :)

Another thing that's given me cause for optimism has been the quiet transformation and improvement of the ECML. More flyovers, better junctions, planned expansion of Darlington. It's bringing about a real upgrade, but still unmistakably the ECML.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Probably the introduction of Lumo - I don't agree with all of their policies (especially not the luggage issues) but they have provided useful competition to the ECML. I'm particularly glad that they have provided a later Saturday evening service from Edinburgh to Newcastle - it's still a bit earlier than ideal but makes longer journeys north of the border quite a bit more viable!

Flying Claret

Reinstatment of the Todmorden curve. Creating a direct Manchester Sevice from Burnley and Accrington. Shame it continues to Wigan rather than the airport.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
When was the last time you were genuinely excited about a change or improvement to the railways? For me it was probably the reopening of the Okehampton line or the construction of Marsh Barton station (which sadly did not happen before I moved away!)

I'm always a bit excited when it comes to new stock, I've followed the Northern Tender thread with great interest (And Neptune's info shared before the reveal), as it means some true change to my line, as the Sprinters (and very very rare 195s) will be replaced by something else, either 195s or the new bi-modes.

jfowkes

Thameslink core ATO and Crossrail. Weird given that I have never lived in London, but I really like that London is now crossed with two high-frequency heavy rail routes.

Also the introduction of the Class 745/755. I will go on about the importance of level boarding for days.

Purple Train

Established Member
The creation of the Big Four in 1923.

Seriously, I would say the opening of the Elizabeth line. The amount of stuff-in-general that it makes easily accessible to me is amazing.

Having up to 10 TPE 68s a day for haulage when they started years ago!o_O

infobleep

Veteran Member
When was the last time you were genuinely excited about a change or improvement to the railways? For me, it was probably the reopening of the Okehampton line or the construction of Marsh Barton station (which sadly did not happen before I moved away!)

North Downs Line trains increasing to twice an hour from Reading to Gatwick Airport for most hours, Monday to Saturday.

It is currently just a timetable change added to the timetable journey planning system so I have no chance of being disappointed yet. I'm a positive person so I'm not expecting it to fall apart.

akm

I still marvel every time I get to use (or even pass by) the Bermondsey Diveunder, or the Hitchin Flyover. So many wasted passenger-hours, over the years!

GWVillager

I need a bit of optimism. Probably the new Northern tender, as has already been said. It's great to see that the Treasury isn't completely opposed to any spending.

Ken H

On Moderation
Seeing the Settle and Carlisle line return from the minimal service in the 1970's and 80's to Dales Rail and the current Northern service. I saw some Italian relatives off from Settle back to Sheffield this afternoon and it was great to see the once moribund station bustling.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
Most recently, the Elizabeth Line, but even that doesn't compare with the immense pleasure of, years back, experiencing what had been the "misery line" of London, Tilbury & Southend somehow, eventually, become the reliable, modern, comfortable, clean, and pleasant to use c2c network, silly name notwithstanding.

ar10642

The Brighton to Cambridge connection, Haywards Heath is my local station and my office is in Cambridge and it allows me to breeze through London. Also the connection at Farringdon to the Elizabeth Line, although I have not used it yet.

Mogz

For me it was the introduction of the short-lived Wrexham and Shropshire service in 2008.

I was studying in London when it launched and it meant a leisurely and very pleasant alternative way to get home to the Wirral (changing at Wrexham) without having to go VT via Liverpool or Chester.

Full hot meals available in Standard Class was amazing.

Subsequently a move to Banbury meant I was a regular traveller.

I was dismayed when the service ended and went to Banbury station to see the last train go in 2011.

It was just too good to last, and it was given the final death blow by VT setting up a rival (faster) service to Wrexham via Chester which was, of course, withdrawn after W&S was killed off.

The only consolation is that the high quality refurbished stock is still in use with Chiltern, albeit without the catering.

AJM580

Introduction of the Flirts in East Anglia - bye bye single car 153s.

Preserved diesels back on the main line - Deltics, Westerns et al

D6975

Established Member
Having up to 10 TPE 68s a day for haulage when they started years ago!o_O
Beat me to it - that was my planned holiday for the Summer of 2019.

Previous to that, the news that Barrow-Carlisle was going to see 37s back in 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.