• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What would happen if a rat or mouse was found on board a train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesst

just to be clear: you are suggesting that if a rodent is found on a train ( and in particular a rat) nothing would be done.

Never known it happen to a train In passenger service in all honestly. However there's no way the trains going to be out of service for any length of time, I've seen pigeons in trains and all that happens is it's pushed out at the next stop and the train carries on.
I've seen rats running round on platforms and passengers haven't even noticed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
just to be clear: you are suggesting that if a rodent is found on a train ( and in particular a rat) nothing would be done.
I was in a pub in Leeds in the 1970's and a huge rat appeared behind the bar. The landlord, a big bloke, kicked it hard against a wall, then finished it off with a handy bottle, picked it up by the tail and took it out to the bin.
Did he evacuate the pub? No. Did anybody care? No.
Rats are a fact of life.
(I may think differently of the rat was in the food area, not on the floor. Then a full clear down would be needed)

Off topic, but mildly relevant. I was in hospital and a nurse noticed a large insect on the floor by the open window. She was all ready to shut down the bay of 4 beds. Bloke in the bed next to me told her not to be silly, its only a {insect I have never heard of}, he did the glass and paper trick and put it outside.
Nurse said 'thats all we need, a bloody insect expert'

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Never known it happen to a train In passenger service in all honestly. However there's no way the trains going to be out of service for any length of time, I've seen pigeons in trains and all that happens is it's pushed out at the next stop and the train carries on.
I've seen rats running round on platforms and passengers haven't even noticed.

I have seen reports of rodents being found on depot and on stored trains. Not in a service train ( but i am sure it will have happened)

I was in a pub in Leeds in the 1970's and a huge rat appeared behind the bar. The landlord, a big bloke, kicked it hard against a wall, then finished it off with a handy bottle, picked it up by the tail and took it out to the bin.
Did he evacuate the pub? No. Did anybody care? No.

However the issue was dealt with and not left. If you don't deal with rats they have a habit of breeding prodigiously!

Ken H

On Moderation

However the issue was dealt with and not left. If you don't deal with rats they have a habit of breeding prodigiously!

Yes. I agree. but taking a train out of service is disproportionate.
maybe trains need fitting with rat poison traps. Its how I solved a problem in my garden (Thanks to a derelict council building next door)

Dr_Paul

Established Member
If the service goes to one of the stations that has a cat, the train crew could ask to borrow it to deal with the unwanted rodent.

Saperstein

Slightly of topic it didn’t someone try to board a ATW service at Wrexham once with a horse?

broadgage

I saw a mouse or perhaps a small rat on an HST at Paddington just prior to departure.
It was chased out of the train and fell between platform and train door, don't know what happened to it after that.
The train manager stated that vermin cant readily board at passenger stations as they cant manage the gap, "they get on at depots"

When I lived near a third rail electrified line I often observed dead rats on the line. They creep under the conductor rail and are electrocuted when the back of the rat touches the underside of the rail.

Ken H

On Moderation
I saw a mouse or perhaps a small rat on an HST at Paddington just prior to departure.
It was chased out of the train and fell between platform and train door, don't know what happened to it after that.
The train manager stated that vermin cant readily board at passenger stations as they cant manage the gap, "they get on at depots"

When I lived near a third rail electrified line I often observed dead rats on the line. They creep under the conductor rail and are electrocuted when the back of the rat touches the underside of the rail.
I used to watch pigeons walking round and under 3rd rail. never saw one zapped, and never saw a zapped one. But birds do get zapped when they sit on the overhead under bridges, then panic when a train comes and earth the 25KV to the bridge.

syorksdeano

If it was in a Northern train they would stick a uniform on it, a name badge that says revenue protection and stick it somewhere like Manchester Pic

Busaholic

Veteran Member

I haven't been on Hither Green Station in more than thirty years, but there used to be a huge colony of rats on the Sidcup line side, on the embankment going towards Lee. Waiting for a half hourly train you could see them cavorting in broad daylight.

CC 72100

Established Member
I'm sure 390054 had a problem a few summers ago with cockroaches.
Train remained in service until it finished it's run (Euston to Birmingham) but was then taken out of service.

I've worked a HST before with the buffet locked out of use due to a cockroach infestation and under strict instructions from control not to unlock it or enter the kitchen under any circumstances. All stock stored inside was written off, as one would expect. To provide a basic level of catering I arranged for some water bottles to be loaded en-route, but obviously not be stored in the kitchen. The set stayed in service until that evening when it reached depot for pest control.

Despite this, I was allowed to keep the saloon open; no need to lock out the coach, just the kitchen area was off bounds.

philthetube

Established Member
The reason why you see very few Rats or mice on trains id because the find it very difficult to board, there is no chance of them climbing up steel wheels and not many locations ith level boarding or where they could drop down from above in through the doors.

theageofthetra

On Moderation
Had a fox get on board to keep warm once at Bromley North very late one night when no pax were about. It had a good sniff around for scraps then hopped off before we left.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Personally I’ve never seen a rat juice itself, badgers, cats and foxes yes, but not rats.

jamesst

They're a disgrace to the rat world!! In my area they just see the live rail as a challenge!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.