• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What year were Phil Sayer announcements first used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kudoson

I've been trying to find out when the Phil Sayer announcements were first used at stations, I can't actually find a specific year. Does anyone here know it?

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Galvanize

Mid-to-late 1990s, round about 1996. I've seen video footage at Leeds Station filmed in 1996, you can hear Phil Sayer in the background, must of been one of the first stations to get the system installed!

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The early Ditra announcement installations (who now use Phil Sayer) were voiced by Jon Elgar - as can be heard in this video from London Bridge. I think it was the early to mid 1990s that Phil Sayer began to be used instead.

Kudoson

Thanks for the replies, I don't think it could have been installed as early as the 80's though.

Eagle

Established Member
The early Ditra announcement installations (who now use Phil Sayer) were voiced by Jon Elgar - as can be heard in this video from London Bridge.

Interesting the way they're announced: rather than the modern "platform N for the hh.mm service to X", it's using "platform N for the hh.mm X service", which is kind of mentally disorientating. I'd guess it was switched because the latter can't easily accommodate the name of a TOC.

(Although not as much disorientating as one manual announcer at Haymarket who says "that's the X train arriving at platform N, the hh.mm".)

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
What announcement system did they have at Holborn Viaduct in 1990?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX5CV-C07yI

1 minute 20 seconds into the video.

I believe that is the BR Ditra installation - at most locations, this unknown female voice was used with Jon Elgar mainly used at larger stations alongside this voice. The system could still be heard at Seven Sisters and Bishops Stortford until late 2011.

centralman

Wow I never knew!

I guess they think he is getting past the sell by date now cause with the new system across the GW network he has been replaced!

WVL14

The first stations which used Phil's voice were Leeds in late 1994, then Southampton Central in around May 1995.

Status
Not open for further replies.