• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's supposed to happen if there's unscheduled bustitution and you have a bike?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stut

Established Member
I would tend to agree - it gets quite tiring when it's irrelevant, and I do get irritated by the less responsible cyclists out there.

However, I would add that a lot of what is seen as 'illegal cycling' is often the fault of bad road layouts. For example, lots of people in Ipswich complain about cyclists going the wrong way along Neptune Quay - however, this is not only allowed (with some tiny signs that you'd barely notice if you weren't looking for them), it is part of one of the major National Cycle Network routes. Another is local to me - the council in its 'wisdom' has decided to designate a number of pavements as 'shared use paths', meaning you can cycle on them (in fact, you're directed to do so - something that, with the exception of fast rural or rural/urban roads, I find is to the detriment of both pedestrians and cyclists). Thing is, nothing tells you when its ended. On one route, the signs change from a round blue cycle sign (shared path) to a square blue cycle sign (advisory on-road route) halfway along!

I accept that there are irresponsible cyclists on pavements out there, but it's not always that clear cut.

I've also cycled in countries like Norway and Japan, where pavement cycling is often encouraged and expected, with no problem whatsoever. The key factor, really, is a mutual respect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.