• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's this train?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

notadriver

Established Member
Compared with 1st generation DMUs of the time they must have been amazing :)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
it's a crying shame that not a single Blue Pullman was preserved for static display, let alone in running condition.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Compared with 1st generation DMUs of the time they must have been amazing :)

I never travelled in them, but by pure chance I saw one of the Midland Pullmans in the summer of 1960, and it must have been more or less in their first week of operation. This was actually before I ever picked up my Ian Allan spotters' book.

I was awe struck - I had only thought such trains existed in the USA. Of course, it was the colour as much as anything - no other train was blue at the time - at least, not on BR. (Oh, I suppose there were the early AC electrics - but they were way off my limits at the time.)

But they - the Blue Pullmans - did have a name for rough riding, at least on the Midland. Not sure if they were any better on Brunel's railway.

ps In later life the full yellow end rather spoiled the classy look of the Pullman coat of arms of the early livery.

Last edited:

HarleyDavidson

Established Member
Crying shame that not one survived into preservation, it's also a shame that you couldn't build a new set or two, although saying that I'm sure that somewhere all of the schematics & designs could be found as to allow a rebuild.

After all they're doing it for steam engines.

Polarbear

Established Member
There are two books that give a detailed account of the history of the Blue Pullman trains, but I'm not sure if they're currently in print. I believe that the original schematics for these trains can't be found so it could be difficult to recreate such a train, even if money were no object.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Crying shame that not one survived into preservation, it's also a shame that you couldn't build a new set or two, although saying that I'm sure that somewhere all of the schematics & designs could be found as to allow a rebuild.

After all they're doing it for steam engines.

It is said the seats fitted in the VIP saloon of the APT-E now preserved by the NRM were some spare Blue Pullman seats that happened to be available to BR at Derby at time, so perhaps it could be said a little bit of this iconic trainset survives?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It is said the seats fitted in the VIP saloon of the APT-E now preserved by the NRM were some spare Blue Pullman seats that happened to be available to BR at Derby at time, so perhaps it could be said a little bit of this iconic trainset survives?

I hope they were more comfortable than the seats in the preserved APT at Crewe :lol:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I hope they were more comfortable than the seats in the preserved APT at Crewe :lol:

Presume you mean those seats fitted in second class with the red tartan material? thought the first class ones were really comfortable infact didn't BR go on to fit them in the final build of mk3s that were Pullman branded?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Yeah, those were the ones. Was impressed by the APT generally but remember being dissappointed by those seats.

Now you've got me thinking, didn't some of those seats later get fitted in 1st gen emu's? I'm sure I can remember a refurbished 304 centre car with them back in the early nineties.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Now you've got me thinking, didn't some of those seats later get fitted in 1st gen emu's? I'm sure I can remember a refurbished 304 centre car with them back in the early nineties.

Alas, I never had the pleasure of the 304's, but I guess they would have been a comedown after bouncy Mk1 type cushions !

The 308's had hardish NSE type seats fitted when in Yorkshire.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Alas, I never had the pleasure of the 304's, but I guess they would have been a comedown after bouncy Mk1 type cushions !

The 308's had hardish NSE type seats fitted when in Yorkshire.

I never got to sample the 308s but would imagine they would be much the same as the 305s that were sent up to replace the 304s on this side, just a thought but I bet if Northern replaced those horrendous plastic bucket excuses for seats fitted to Merseyrail Pacers with APT 2nd class seats they would seem like heaven in comparison ;)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I never got to sample the 308s but would imagine they would be much the same as the 305s that were sent up to replace the 304s on this side, just a thought but I bet if Northern replaced those horrendous plastic bucket excuses for seats fitted to Merseyrail Pacers with APT 2nd class seats they would seem like heaven in comparison ;)

That's true :lol:

Infact I'd be more than happy if they just hauled a couple of 308's around instead and had done with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.