• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's up with RA10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RLBH

Having a quick peruse of Network Rail's Network Specifications (as one does) I noticed something odd about Route Availability 10. The only sections of line they claim to have RA10 are:
  • High Speed 1
  • The Selby Deviation on the East Coast main line
  • Virtually all of Central Scotland
That seems rather odd to me - especially given that, as far as I know, RA10 is needed for 100-ton bogie wagons (i.e. 25 ton axle load) to run. My best guess is that maintaining lines to that standard is expensive, and only sustained when the traffic needs it, so a decent amount of network is built to RA10 standards but only maintained to RA8. Presumably, then, Scotland Route requalified its' lines to RA10 relatively recently compared to elsewhere, so they haven't expired yet.

Is this broadly correct? Or are the maps just incorrect?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
That seems rather odd to me - especially given that, as far as I know, RA10 is needed for 100-ton bogie wagons (i.e. 25 ton axle load) to run.

The route doesn't need to be RA10 for RA10 trains to run....but any train that runs above the RA of the route must have a valid RT3973HAW form that lists the routes and special speed restrictions over certain points/structures.

We run 100t bogie tank wagons that produce either RA9 or RA10 over a route that is RA8.

Legolash2o

If you'd like I can attach a map of the route availability for the UK with highlighted RA10 sections?

Legolash2o

• CamdenTown just north-west of King's Cross
  • East Leeds (via Neville Hill West Jn)
  • Scotland
  • Scunthorpe via Foreign Ore Jn
  • Selby (Temple Hirst Jn to Colton Jn)
  • Tinsley (North east of Sheffield and south of Rotherham)
For the maps, it's the dark purple colour. Also, I believe HS1 doesn't use Route Availability and uses something else, but I suspect it would be RA10.

Attachments

• CamdenTown.png
    CamdenTown.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 147
  • EastLeeds.png
    EastLeeds.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 111
  • Scotland.png
    Scotland.png
    392.8 KB · Views: 129
  • Scunthorpe.png
    Scunthorpe.png
    669.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Selby.png
    Selby.png
    1 MB · Views: 105
  • TinsleyArea.png
    TinsleyArea.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 112
  • UK.png
    UK.png
    879.7 KB · Views: 141

route:oxford

Established Member
Ok, I'm curious...

Did the Caledonian Railway just happen to be better railway builders?

Or was it a combination of the rock that much of Scotland's railway was built on, combined with an original design based on heavy coal and engineering loads?

RLBH

If you'd like I can attach a map of the route availability for the UK with highlighted RA10 sections?
Thanks - whilst RA10 wasn't what I went looking for, the oddity jumped out at me. The maps you've attached confirm it - loads of RA10 in Scotland, and only odd bits elsewhere. Which is decidedly odd, at least in my eyes.

chillyed

When we assess bridges, we do it at the line rating (ie RA8) at the maximum permissible linespeed and also RA10 at the lower of the maximum permissible linespeed or 60mph. It makes sense how lines well above 60 can accommodate RA10, but below 60 you think the line would be just rated at RA10. I struggle to get my head around the sectional appendix sometimes!

RLBH

What was you looking for? I may have a map for that as well
Was just looking at the Route boundaries, fairly high level stuff so got what I was after. Thanks for the offer of assistance though!

Status
Not open for further replies.