• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your favourite diesel train?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parallel

Established Member
My favourite diesel trains:

HST
Class 180
Class 143 (don’t shoot me!! :D )

Also fond of the 158s too but it varies between TOCs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
Nothing wrong with that, it's surprising how many people DO like them. Perhaps the anachronistic/quirky nature of then appeals?
I find the GWR ones really nice to travel on because they’re bright,clean and operate on scenic routes. The first time I rode one (in recent memory) was to Barnstaple when it had a lot more jointed track, which was an experience, especially with the squealing/bouncing it did. The track between Portsmouth Arms and Umberleigh was so rough riding, other passengers were commenting on it! Although the rails have been replaced over this section now.

I quite like TfW/ATW’s too but they are notably dirtier and more run down, although the seating handles were repainted, and the seating trim replaced by Arriva not so long ago.

Have never been a huge fan of the Northern 142s though but don’t dislike them especially (except the ex-MerseyTravel ones). Quite fond of the 144s but haven’t been on them a great deal.

xotGD

Established Member
I know that there's no such thing as an incorrect answer on this thread. But some people's choices. Wow.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I find the GWR ones really nice to travel on because they’re bright,clean and operate on scenic routes. The first time I rode one (in recent memory) was to Barnstaple when it had a lot more jointed track, which was an experience, especially with the squealing/bouncing it did. The track between Portsmouth Arms and Umberleigh was so rough riding, other passengers were commenting on it! Although the rails have been replaced over this section now.

I quite like TfW/ATW’s too but they are notably dirtier and more run down, although the seating handles were repainted, and the seating trim replaced by Arriva not so long ago.

Have never been a huge fan of the Northern 142s though but don’t dislike them especially (except the ex-MerseyTravel ones). Quite fond of the 144s but haven’t been on them a great deal.

GWR's bunch do seem to rate more highly and to be fair the design in general isn't actually that rough on good quality CWR, it's more tight curves and jointed rail that give the wiggle and bounce ;)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I know that there's no such thing as an incorrect answer on this thread. But some people's choices. Wow.

It would be a significantly less interesting place if we all agreed about everything diesel-powered on the rails! ;)

xotGD

Established Member
It would be a significantly less interesting place if we all agreed about everything diesel-powered on the rails! ;)
Very true. I remember there being some entertaining banter between Peak bashers and 40 bashers back in the 80s. Then you had 'DARTS' with their newsletter highlighting every time a 37 had failed - and if it was rescued by a 26 or 27 it was double delight for them!

(DARTS = Dundee Anti Rancid Tractor Society, btw)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Very true. I remember there being some entertaining banter between Peak bashers and 40 bashers back in the 80s. Then you had 'DARTS' with their newsletter highlighting every time a 37 had failed - and if it was rescued by a 26 or 27 it was double delight for them!

(DARTS = Dundee Anti Rancid Tractor Society, btw)

What a name!

El Toro

On Moderation
As regards diesel locomotives , the class 68 makes a lovely sound with that big V 16 Caterpillar engine, looks pretty good in Chiltern livery too.

Worm

Probably controversial but the class 220 version of the Voyager. I didn’t find to be too cramped at 5 ft 7 and I spent the best part of 4 straight hours on a pair only separated by a 10 minute change at New Street.

4 hr 30 mins on the return as well also on a Voyager was quite enjoyable.

El Toro

On Moderation
Probably controversial but the class 220 version of the Voyager. I didn’t find to be too cramped at 5 ft 7 and I spent the best part of 4 straight hours on a pair only separated by a 10 minute change at New Street.

4 hr 30 mins on the return as well also on a Voyager was quite enjoyable.
Yeah, I went on one of those 220’s, 2 years ago . They were comfortable. I don’t remember feeling any aches or pains once I got off, so It must have been ok, not a very scientific analysis :D. Of course it WAS 2 YEARS ago , and old age can make one forget EXACTLY what it WAS like :lol:.

Last edited:

Worm

Yeah, I went on one of those 220’s, 2 years ago . They were comfortable. I don’t remember feeling any aches or pains once I got off, so It must have been ok, not a very scientific analysis :D. Of course it WAS 2 YEARS ago , and old age can make one forget EXACTLY what it WAS like :lol:.
Gosh must’ve been 3/4 years for me now I believe it was 2017, I also have a fond memory of a class 143 on the Avocet line on the way to Devon, that was also much better than the 150 which I returned on :lol:.

I’ve only gone for a ride on 175’s since then which was nice as I still remember them from their First North Western days as a child and they still had some First barbie-coloured plastic trim even 14 years since the end.

They were very comfortable but couldn’t rival the Voyager for me.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
best diesel loco: 37 & 68 (none of that hst pish)
best dmu: 170 & 185
a lot of older dmus are rateable but 170s & 185s are way thrashier

Mex I can

If there were any left, I’d go for the class 23 baby Deltic (post engine mod). It will be interesting to see how the sawn off 37 turns out.

Has no one gone for the class 70? It looks like something Homer would have designed, if they did an episode where he got to design a loco (based on his car design).

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
For me: Class 172 Turbostar and Class 195 Civity in the UK. These sound like buses when they accelerate, thanks to their ZF EcoMat/EcoLife gearboxes!

I also like 165s too.

Status
Not open for further replies.