• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Simple: all the liveries, all of them... ;)

(Yes I appreciate that might be a tad expensive, but what are second and third and fourth mortgages good for if not investing in model railways after all? :lol:)

I second this motion and commend it to the house!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEdge

Established Member
A little lucky find in my local model shop after popping in to get something else paid for. At £15 a pop a very good deal for three flats with containers.

And the thing I paid for will be sure to feature when it arrives...DSC_0913.JPG

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A little lucky find in my local model shop after popping in to get something else paid for. At £15 a pop a very good deal for three flats with containers.

And the thing I paid for will be sure to feature when it arrives...View attachment 111296

Very nice indeed. The containers look pretty decent as well as the wagons.

My slightly tipsy Friday night purchase turned up this week…

C44510E5-1DB8-486D-AE02-7A0F382A8DBD.jpeg

I’ve been detailing and weathering things but I’ve written about it in my thread here anyway.

BrettSy96

Bought a couple of the “celebrity” GBRF class 66 locos:D

Attachments

• 9D076E00-DAA0-40EA-98D5-0B53B8E081C5.jpeg
    9D076E00-DAA0-40EA-98D5-0B53B8E081C5.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 19
  • E1877562-A226-440B-AE61-2AEA54CB03C8.jpeg
    E1877562-A226-440B-AE61-2AEA54CB03C8.jpeg
    360.7 KB · Views: 18

Iskra

Established Member
A couple of new coach packs that I think I actually picked up cheap in the January Sales that I've only just unboxed:

First, a pair of BR Blue Scotrail MK1's, weathered and with passengers fitted:

thumbnail_IMG_7117.jpg

Second, a pair of BR Blue Coaches with heavy weathering particularly to the roof which I liked a lot. They are from a BR works train coach pack, but as they are unbranded they can slot in nicely on my layout as just regular coaches or they could feature on the branch line when running in preserved mode.

Works.jpg
See my Fort George thread soon to see what is at the head of the rake...

I second this motion and commend it to the house!
By way of an update; Today, I was in a railway mood and I pre-ordered myself an Accurascale BR Blue Large Logo Class 37 DCC Sound.

Last edited:

Peter C

Established Member
A couple of new coach packs that I think I actually picked up cheap in the January Sales that I've only just unboxed:

First, a pair of BR Blue Scotrail MK1's, weathered and with passengers fitted:

View attachment 111960

Second, a pair of BR Blue Coaches with heavy weathering particularly to the roof which I liked a lot. They are from a BR works train coach pack, but as they are unbranded they can slot in nicely on my layout as just regular coaches or they could feature on the branch line when running in preserved mode.

View attachment 111961
See my Fort George thread soon to see what is at the head of the rake...

By way of an update; Today, I was in a railway mood and I pre-ordered myself an Accurascale BR Blue Large Logo Class 37 DCC Sound.
Those coaches all look really rather nice, I must say - the weathering on the works train coaches is particularly cool. I've seen someone do something similar on EMUs from a similar era with paint and Maskol (?) and it looks really realistic, so it's super to see a factory-finished version looking just as good.
Liking the sound (pun unintended, but we'll go with it) of that 37 - got to love a big diesel that certainly lets you know it's around!

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
Those coaches all look really rather nice, I must say - the weathering on the works train coaches is particularly cool. I've seen someone do something similar on EMUs from a similar era with paint and Maskol (?) and it looks really realistic, so it's super to see a factory-finished version looking just as good.
Liking the sound (pun unintended, but we'll go with it) of that 37 - got to love a big diesel that certainly lets you know it's around!

-Peter
Thank you, yes it saves a lot of time :)

Yes, I’m looking forward to its arrival already!

Iskra

Established Member
A few sales acquisitions: a pair of buses, one because I like the livery and the other because it is a rural Scottish one, so could suit. All model railways need a modest fleet of buses so that's that cliche sorted :)

thumbnail_IMG_7161.jpg

And I also picked up a pair of these Scenecraft post-war station canopies, which are quite Fort William-esque; like there was a nicer roof previously but they tore it down and built something ugly, sorry functional. The final layout may well differ to what I've done with it here. I'm also debating whether to spray paint the roofs green to match the rest of the station colour scheme or whether just to leave it as it is.

thumbnail_IMG_7162.jpg

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A few sales acquisitions: a pair of buses, one because I like the livery and the other because it is a rural Scottish one, so could suit. All model railways need a modest fleet of buses so that's that cliche sorted :)

View attachment 112661

And I also picked up a pair of these Scenecraft post-war station canopies, which are quite Fort William-esque; like there was a nicer roof previously but they tore it down and built something ugly, sorry functional. The final layout may well differ to what I've done with it here. I'm also debating whether to spray paint the roofs green to match the rest of the station colour scheme or whether just to leave it as it is.

View attachment 112662

Nice additions @Iskra. Those canopies have a good 1950s/60s look about them. I bet they’d have a bit of asbestos in the real thing?

xotGD

Established Member
Both ends of that bus look like the back. A very dubious vehicle!

Peter C

Established Member

View attachment 112661
Liking those - the one on the right reminds of the one run by Pearce and Crump in The Titfield Thunderbolt - all you need now is the 14xx to go with it :lol:

View attachment 112662
Even though it really is quite ugly (as you so rightly put it), that looks like a good canopy. Personally I'd be inclined to leave the roofs grey as I doubt anyone would've put that much effort into keeping it in the same style as the rest of the station after building something that non-inkeeping? ;)

-Peter

TheEdge

Established Member
Guess who once again was left unsupervised. Nice sound fitted BR 112 from Fleischmann. Finally got something to haul my doppelstock, especially since I cooked the old motor in my BR 111.

And yes, my "layout" is unitrack on a carpet. It's all I have space for at the moment. Leave me be.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Guess who once again was left unsupervised. Nice sound fitted BR 112 from Fleischmann. Finally got something to haul my doppelstock, especially since I cooked the old motor in my BR 111.

And yes, my "layout" is unitrack on a carpet. It's all I have space for at the moment. Leave me be.

That’s a lovely thing. Nothing wrong with a bit of carpet running, it’s better than leaving it all in the box!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Nice loco, and while I don't model Germany - I like the doppelstock.

Not at all, you're running your trains your way and besides you've insulated the track from being directly on the carpet - so I've no complaints! Enjoy :)

Iskra

Established Member
Liking those - the one on the right reminds of the one run by Pearce and Crump in The Titfield Thunderbolt - all you need now is the 14xx to go with it :lol:

Even though it really is quite ugly (as you so rightly put it), that looks like a good canopy. Personally I'd be inclined to leave the roofs grey as I doubt anyone would've put that much effort into keeping it in the same style as the rest of the station after building something that non-inkeeping? ;)

-Peter
Yes, that's a good point!

Sounds good, certainly loud enough for a small loco!

Peter C

Established Member

Now that does look like a lovely little model. The sound is super - especially with the announcement!
Nothing wrong with running on the carpet in my eyes - only issue is it means any pet intrusion (which, if there is a pet involved, will be inevitable) will appear even larger to the poor passengers onboard ;)

-Peter

TheEdge

Established Member
Now that does look like a lovely little model. The sound is super - especially with the announcement!
Nothing wrong with running on the carpet in my eyes - only issue is it means any pet intrusion (which, if there is a pet involved, will be inevitable) will appear even larger to the poor passengers onboard ;)

-Peter

I do worry about hair intrusion though. Screenshot_20220411-140834~2.pngLuckily all my pets are fish or reptile based, so limited to tanks. Although there is a lovely opportunity for Godzilla jokes when a Bearded Dragon or Tortoise is involved...

Iskra

Established Member
I do worry about hair intrusion though. View attachment 112832

Luckily all my pets are fish or reptile based, so limited to tanks. Although there is a lovely opportunity for Godzilla jokes when a Bearded Dragon or Tortoise is involved...

I do worry about hair intrusion though. View attachment 112832

Luckily all my pets are fish or reptile based, so limited to tanks. Although there is a lovely opportunity for Godzilla jokes when a Bearded Dragon or Tortoise is involved...
If the old adage is anything to go by, hare intrusion could be imminent ;)

Peter C

Established Member
I do worry about hair intrusion though. View attachment 112832Luckily all my pets are fish or reptile based, so limited to tanks. Although there is a lovely opportunity for Godzilla jokes when a Bearded Dragon or Tortoise is involved...
That's a new one for Network Rail - "we've had to close the line because a tortoise has collided with a bridge"... :lol:

-Peter

Iskra

Established Member
A few more items arrived today that I picked up in the TMC 50% sale. Firstly a few scenic items:

87664E93-0DF1-4397-94D3-DC8E87A194EB.jpeg

And then I bought something a bit more colourful to brighten the place up a bit for when running the branchline in preserved mode. I realised I didn’t have many smaller loco’s that are actually popular on preserved lines and this livery is increasingly popular so it fits the bill nicely. It is TMC weathered, DCC fitted and had real coal fitted. This is my first EFE item, so I’m intrigued to see how it will get on.
Also sneaking into the picture are some Bachmann Scenecraft benches that will adorn the platforms eventually.

14B37BF7-5BD9-496D-BF60-374A157B1E21.jpeg

Ted633

Recently acquired a Bachmann 121 from TMC sale. It's one that they have done a weathering job on, so it sits nicely with my 117 that I weathered myself. The job they've done isn't bad (fairly basic weathering, but that was to be expected for £93 all in), but I was fairly disappointed that they managed to get a fair amount of paint on the wheel surfaces. I've given the wheels a good clean up though, and it runs fine.

IMG_20220412_155728.jpgIMG_20220412_155831.jpg

Peter C

Established Member
A few more items arrived today that I picked up in the TMC 50% sale. Firstly a few scenic items:

View attachment 112872

And then I bought something a bit more colourful to brighten the place up a bit for when running the branchline in preserved mode. I realised I didn’t have many smaller loco’s that are actually popular on preserved lines and this livery is increasingly popular so it fits the bill nicely. It is TMC weathered, DCC fitted and had real coal fitted. This is my first EFE item, so I’m intrigued to see how it will get on.
Also sneaking into the picture are some Bachmann Scenecraft benches that will adorn the platforms eventually.

View attachment 112875
That Austerity tank looks lovely (I assume it's not a J94 - they look really similar and I can't remember what the differences are between the two!). The livery is definitely a splash of colour - works well with the maroon Mk1. :)

Recently acquired a Bachmann 121 from TMC sale. It's one that they have done a weathering job on, so it sits nicely with my 117 that I weathered myself. The job they've done isn't bad (fairly basic weathering, but that was to be expected for £93 all in), but I was fairly disappointed that they managed to get a fair amount of paint on the wheel surfaces. I've given the wheels a good clean up though, and it runs fine.

View attachment 112909View attachment 112910
The Class 121 is definitely a forum favourite! The Bachmann models are lovely, aren't they? The weathering looks super on that too - shame about the wheels though. Have you tried the different lighting functions? One of the things I love about mine is the number of lighting options there are.

-Peter :)

Iskra

Established Member

View attachment 112909View attachment 112910
Welcome to the ever-expanding forum bubble car owners club! That’s an excellent unit in a classic livery at a decent price. It’s a shame about the weathering mishap, which is unusual from TMC as I’ve always been very impressed with their work personally. It looks very good paired with your other DMU there!

That Austerity tank looks lovely (I assume it's not a J94 - they look really similar and I can't remember what the differences are between the two!). The livery is definitely a splash of colour - works well with the maroon Mk1. :)
It is both an austerity tank and a J94 as they are the same loco :) Not to be confused with the WD 2-8-0 tender locomotive which was also an austerity. I think austerity is just a general term for a wartime locomotive built simply and cheaply.