• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When to admit defeat

Status
Not open for further replies.

djh840

Hi guys. First post on here. I am 1 of the 22k who applied for the scotrail posts but haven't heard back so I've just about accepted that I've been unsuccessful. This is the 3rd time since 2011 I've applied and got no further. Is there anyone on here who was successful but had to apply a few times to get there? I'm sure I will apply again when they are recruiting again but it gets harder each time. Quite soul destroying actually

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Economist

I think the only time you need to "admit defeat" is if you fail the mandatory assessments twice.

I don't know how much research you have done on these forums but there is plenty of information which can help. I wouldn't have passed the mandatory assessments had it not been for the advice on these forums.

If you don't have any safety-critical experience, you won't stand a chance. It doesn't need to be a job, you could take up a new hobby that you would enjoy too. Think of rock-climbing, sailing, most things aviation-related. Something that will get you real safety-critical experience you can talk about on your application.

I don't know your personal circumstances but you may need to relocate. Abellio Greater Anglia and London Midland both take people who are willing to relocate. Alternatively, move to the capital and you'll have a good few TOCs on your doorstep.

I personally know someone who became a driver in his early fifties, so personally I wouldn't give up just yet.

theironroad

Established Member
Hi guys. First post on here. I am 1 of the 22k who applied for the scotrail posts but haven't heard back so I've just about accepted that I've been unsuccessful. This is the 3rd time since 2011 I've applied and got no further. Is there anyone on here who was successful but had to apply a few times to get there? I'm sure I will apply again when they are recruiting again but it gets harder each time. Quite soul destroying actually

Can't help really, though I'm one of the 22k who applied (as a qualified).

I've sort of set 16 November as that is roughly 6 week mark from application close date and 4-6 week mark is what sr have indicated for successfuls to progress will be notified.

After that I'll guess it wasn't to be......

Leebob34

It's not about how hard you get hit ,it's about how hard you get hit and keep moving forward ,,THATS HOW WINNING IS DONE !!!

red2005

YOU DON'T!! quite simply if you want it enough you'll do whatever it takes to get there. If you give up will you be able to honestly tell yourself in 30 years time when you look back that you deserved the job?

the key here is what you do when you have failed........do you sit there and say "oh well on to the next" and just keep hoping you get through eventually? (baring in mind you only have 2 lives to play with) or do you take a constructive approach and use the failure as a positive?.....get in touch with the toc and get some feedback.......find out where you were strong and where your weakest areas were then come back next time a better candidate :D you'd be surprised how many people don't bother getting feedback so that could be the edge you need!.....it's a competition remember.

Easy for me to say mate as i had no real commitments when i applied but do what it takes!.....if you live outside the catchment area MOVE........get down to your nearest depot and speak to the people on the shop floor so you have good knowledge on the toc you are applying to, get yourself known and find out exactly what you'll be facing in an interview etc.

Apply everywhere.......I live in Cheshire but i applied everywhere from Wick to Penzance......remember it's a popular job anyway but that flexibility in being able to go where some won't may narrow the competition down a bit.....not much but a bit. The people who just sit there waiting for a job to drop into their lap because they don't go the extra yard are the ones who'll still be sat there waiting 10 years later........you don't want to be one of those mate.

but hey you are only assuming you haven't got through at the moment! don't be negative, as you say 22k applied that is gonna take a while to be processed.......you'll soon see that railway HR is not the fastest thing you'll ever see.......many people have actually forgotten about railway applications only for a letter with a start date to land on the doorstep.....think positive mate :)

Good luck I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Last edited:

Bossa

Some tub thumping stuff there. Am literally inspired by seemingly endless support on here. Not to mention advice and highly constructive critique as well. For you djh840, we are all in the same boat just at different points in the journey. This forum especially is a treasure trove. Look and you will find the answers or pointers to ready yourself next time an opportunity comes up. Loads on here have been through the ringer to reach that holy grail. In short, its a looooooong way yet till you admit defeat. Am certainly not.

By the way LeeBob, congratulations

Leebob34

Thanks pal.
As was said above the HR in the rail game is very slow as thousands of people apply so try not to worry about anything untill you get the confirmation from scotsrail to say yes or no .easier said then done but there is no point in fretting over something that hasn't happened yet .

BLIMEY ML .fairplay to you buddy for cracking on after your journey ,just goes to show ,if you want it ,you can get it .

djh840

Thanks for the response guys. In fairness I probably should very went with a different thread title. I have no intention of giving up but I thought this time would be different. The 1st 2 applications I didn't believe I would be successful, I just hope I would which is why I didn't progress. This time I spoke to 4 drivers in motherwell and they gave me great tips for the application and I feel I used them. At the time I thought I couldn't have done any better. Having had my application emailed to me and read it over, I can see 1 or 2 things I could've added in, although nothing major. 1 of the drivers told me about this site and I've been looking at it since and it's been a great help.

Appreciate the response guys and good luck to everyone who's been successful

red2005

Thanks for the response guys. In fairness I probably should very went with a different thread title. I have no intention of giving up but I thought this time would be different. The 1st 2 applications I didn't believe I would be successful, I just hope I would which is why I didn't progress. This time I spoke to 4 drivers in motherwell and they gave me great tips for the application and I feel I used them. At the time I thought I couldn't have done any better. Having had my application emailed to me and read it over, I can see 1 or 2 things I could've added in, although nothing major. 1 of the drivers told me about this site and I've been looking at it since and it's been a great help.

Appreciate the response guys and good luck to everyone who's been successful

to be honest mate 3 applications for a driving job is a very small amount......I'd imagine the average amount of applications from the first application to actually getting the job is much higher than 3.

this is why you shouldn't beat yourself up about it too much mate, very few people actually get the job 1st 2nd or even third time!......look at the amount of people you are up against.........all in different situations with different qualities which would make them perfect for the job in their own way yet some poor people have to pick what could be as little as 1 person out of a pool of thousands to have the job! that is a lot of disappointed people.

It took me 7 applications before i got in and some of those i did not even get past the paper sift yet further along the stage someone saw me fit to get the job!......i asked myself why i wasn't fit for the job at the first application but the only conclusion i came to was it was just a mixture of experience, timing, luck, circumstance and people with better applications.

just keep jumping through the hoops that you are told to and you WILL get there, it just might not be straight away....just think your applications will only get better.....patience buddy ;)

Last edited:

djh840

to be honest mate 3 applications for a driving job is a very small amount......I'd imagine the average amount of applications from the first application to actually getting the job is much higher than 3.

this is why you shouldn't beat yourself up about it too much mate, very few people actually get the job 1st 2nd or even third time!......look at the amount of people you are up against.........all in different situations with different qualities which would make them perfect for the job in their own way yet some poor people have to pick what could be as little as 1 person out of a pool of thousands to have the job! that is a lot of disappointed people.

It took me 7 applications before i got in and some of those i did not even get past the paper sift yet further along the stage someone saw me fit to get the job!......i asked myself why i wasn't fit for the job at the first application but the only conclusion i came to was it was just a mixture of experience, timing, luck, circumstance and people with better applications.

just keep jumping through the hoops that you are told to and you WILL get there, it just might not be straight away....just think your applications will only get better.....patience buddy ;)

Much appreciated. I'll keep chipping away at it. The last 2 applications I asked for feedback and was told they couldn't offer any. Let's hope I get a bit more out of them this time.

Lost count of the number of applications I put in before I landed a guards job. The only was to ensure you never get a job on the railway is to give up completely.

red2005

Much appreciated. I'll keep chipping away at it. The last 2 applications I asked for feedback and was told they couldn't offer any. Let's hope I get a bit more out of them this time.

Good lad! Yeah it's only after a certain stage where you'll get feedback mate......at the application stage there's just far too many applicants to give individual feedback.

It's generally interview stage etc when you'll get that. I'm sure there's people on here who'd be happy to have a look at your application and offer some tips if you ask :)

Status
Not open for further replies.