• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When will 2012 fares be implemented?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carefree

It is presently possible to buy tickets for travel in 2012 at 2011 prices. Does anyone know when the 2012 prices will be loaded onto the ticketing systems? I will be doing a lot of rail travel in January and February, and with individual fares expected to rise by anything up to 10%, I'm considering spending some cash before increases are implemented.

Also: my Network Card is due for renewal early in the new year. Is a price increase planned and, if so, can I buy a new card before then with a delayed start date?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
NFM11 should have been live today, but the government changed the parameters for regulated fares at the last minute. I've seen somewhere that they are now targetting Dec 19th.

I'm not aware of plans to increase the priice of the Network Card. I don't think you can buy in advance, unless they let you renew early, but it's a long time since I had a network card (since I had kids in fact).

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
NFM11 should have been live today, but the government changed the parameters for regulated fares at the last minute. I've seen somewhere that they are now targetting Dec 19th.

It is indeed December 19th. There was a last-minute revision of fare rises.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Fares Manual said:
NFM 11 (effective from 2 January to 19 May 2012)

Due to the recent announcement by the Secretary of State that requires a major last minute revision to rail fares, NFM 11 will now not publish until Monday 19 December (and not Monday 5 December 2011 as originally planned).

Item added by Editor, National Rail Enquiries
30 November 2011

Above is from The Manual

island

Veteran Member
I don't think you can buy a railcard with a deferred start date, but if you knew that the price of the card was going up then it might prove useful to get a new one on the day before the price rise.

RJ

Established Member
I was able to advance issue them from my TIS. Sometimes I would do so if the person was buying an open return and their present railcard would expire during that period.

Last edited:

radamfi

Established Member
Just heard that the new fares information will be available from 20 Dec instead of 19 Dec.

Given that rail is devolved in Scotland and Wales, will fares wholly within these countries be available on a different date?

bnm

Established Member
Just heard that the new fares information will be available from 20 Dec instead of 19 Dec.

Seems a bit odd to extend by one more day to a Tuesday. The Manual still says 19th....

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member

Given that rail is devolved in Scotland and Wales, will fares wholly within these countries be available on a different date?

Wales (and I think Scotland too) had an RPI+1% formula anyway, so there's no work to do here. RPI+3 was only in England.

OwlMan

Established Member
The correction of the regulated fares is reasonably simple - the problem is the unregulated fares that were increased because of the increase in regulated fares.
I understand the TOCs are trying to identify which unregulated fares should have their increase reduced.
There are bound to be lots of anomolies created and a lot of corrections will be made in NFM12 in April

Peter

John @ home

Established Member
My monthly now £230.80 up from £211.20, 9.28% increase - great.
If you tell us the origin and destination, we may be able to check whether that fare is regulated or not. If regulated, the final increase may be reduced by 2%

michael769

Established Member
If you tell us the origin and destination, we may be able to check whether that fare is regulated or not. If regulated, the final increase may be reduced by 2%

If it was regulated would the original increase not have been limited to 8%?

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
No - other seasons priced by the same operator (East Coast) may have been increased by less than 8% and so would cancel this one out. The way the fares baskets work mean that individual fares (generally on more lucrative flows) tend to be raised by more than the limit, while other less profitable flows see their fares raised by less than the limit.

The New Pudsey to Sheffield fare falls within the same flow as Bradford to Sheffield, which being between two cities is probably reasonably lucrative and thus will have been increased by as much as possible within the rules.

I think the standard regulation will apply to this fare - as it crosses two PTE areas (WY & SY) it won't be subject to the different fares regulation rules that exist for fares wholly within PTE areas. So it looks like the eventual increase won't be quite so much for the OP.

gobuddygo

The service i use is Crosscountry, East coast have a very limited service from Leeds to Sheffield.

Carefree

Is there anywhere I can find out now, prior to the full implementation of NFM11, what a particular fare will be, so that I may compare this with the NFM10 price?

RJ

Established Member
Is there anywhere I can find out now, prior to the full implementation of NFM11, what a particular fare will be, so that I may compare this with the NFM10 price?

In most cases, it'll be a safe bet that the price will increase so best to buy now. However, I notice that certain flows can decrease in price. Luck of the draw!

Brucey

I'm told that access to the "Fares Finder" isn't yet available in the new version of The Manual. Also noticed that the CD-ROM version of Avantix Traveller hasn't been released yet either.

Greeby

Prices are up on NRE site, will check at the station later for the next Manual.

Here at MKC, the main changes (Apart from general price increase) I've noticed are that LM Only CDS/CDR for northbound journeys have been eliminated, so one must use LM Only SVR instead. So sadly the elimination of TOC-specific fares that I was hoping for has happened, just in the wrong direction :|

Virgin are introducing a Super Off-Peak return to BHI and BHM, which appears to be weekend only.

island

Veteran Member
Don't forget that today is the last day to buy walk-up tickets at old rates for travel in 2012.

Chapeltom

Established Member
Quite annoyed at these rises. However having said that, my £47.75 commute is only up to £49.15 a week, Chinley to Southport Anytime return with Y-P up 60p, Chapel en le Frith to Southport Anytime return with Y-P up 80p to £14.25 :o . I thankfully pay minimum fare the other two days anyway. I'm likely to pay an extra £60 in 2012 with the leisure travel I do normally.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
I've just looked at the Knutsford to Metrolink City increases Arghhh!

Off Peak Day Return up 13.2% from £5.30 to £6.00. Anytime Day Return up 12.2% from £8.20 to £9.20.

Most of the other fares for Knutsford have gone up between 6% and 6.5%. Altrincham and Stockport being exceptions with increases of between 5% and 5.5%.

Last edited by a moderator:

radamfi

Established Member
Super Off Peak Day Travelcards from Three Bridges are unchanged at £10 and £14.30 for FCC Only and Not Gatwick Express respectively.

bnm

Established Member
A notice in the 'Fares Finder' in 'The Manual' NFM11 says:

Due to the recent announcement by the Secretary of State that required a major last minute revision to all National Rail fares, it is not currently possible to show NFM 11 fares in this Fares Finder until Wednesday 28th December. The new fares, effective from 2 January 2012 will start appearing in each TIS, RJIS and the NRE website from Tuesday 20 December.

gobuddygo

New Pudsey - Sheffield

Day return £13.40 up from £12.60 - %6.349 up.

7 Days £58.20 up from £55.00 - %5.81 up.

1 Month £223.50 up from £ 211.20 - % 5.82 up.

So not as bad as i first thought, but still bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.