• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When Will It All Go Wrong For The Tories/ Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveM70

Established Member
Well, he's having all the blame pinned on him, when it was a team effort (the only thing they've been a team for, lol). What would you call that, if not a scapegoat?

It isn't scapegoating, its being accountable

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
As close as we're likely to get anyway. Davis has been thoroughly discredited by his arrogance and incompetence during the Brexit process. He's no Howe.

But interesting to see someone who ought to be on Johnson's side (as a Brexiter) attack him so blatantly.

nlogax

Established Member
But interesting to see someone who ought to be on Johnson's side (as a Brexiter) attack him so blatantly.

Indeed, and I think in order to really start the Johnson exit rolling a Howe / Commons moment is needed from someone with a higher profile who's a bit more respected than Davis. Not sure it's going to happen though.

nw1

Established Member
Indeed, and I think in order to really start the Johnson exit rolling a Howe / Commons moment is needed from someone with a higher profile who's a bit more respected than Davis. Not sure it's going to happen though.

Are there any Howe figures left though?

Perhaps someone like May or Hunt would be relatively respected, amongst the bag of contemptibles that comprises the senior Tory politicians still standing.

nlogax

Established Member
Perhaps someone like May or Hunt would be relatively respected, amongst the bag of contemptibles that comprises the senior Tory politicians still standing.

Both stood to ask questions of Johnson in the ongoing Covid debate, sadly neither of them did the deed. I was rather hoping they would!

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
I guess for a genuine Howe moment it would need to be someone respected within the government, who would not be considered to be acting to promote their own interest in becoming leader /PM. Not sure who that would be, considering the profile of current ministers

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Well, he would say that, wouldn't he.
Hardly, as a prominent supporter of Johnson to be Tory leader from the word go: also the guy who fought Cameron for the leadership before that and was the favourite before the focus groups were seduced by DC's oleaginous 'charm'. It's the statement of someone sickened by Johnson's Etonian arrogance.

birchesgreen

Established Member
I read something that said if they do the letters now then the no confidence vote would be friday which is an inopportune time compared to next week.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There probably are, they're just waiting for the correct time to do it. Remember, if the vote fails, it's a year before they can invoke another one.
That should prove a motivation for Cummins to produce more of his revelations in the interim period.

Just imagine if someone like Cummins dared to reveal a few juicy Soviet-style "Putin stories" in Russia, what fate do you think would await them?

nlogax

Established Member
From here it looks like a VONC would fail, leaving the Conservatives to hobble on until May's local elections at which point the court of democratic opinion may point the way forward for Johnson's future. Although being immune from a further VONC for the best part of a year may scupper things there if he chooses not to resign.

SteveM70

Established Member
That should prove a motivation for Cummins to produce more of his revelations in the interim period.

Just imagine if someone like Cummins dared to reveal a few juicy Soviet-style "Putin stories" in Russia, what fate do you think would await them?

You do like your whataboutery-style comparisons don't you?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
From here it looks like a VONC would fail, leaving the Conservatives to hobble on until May's local elections at which point the court of democratic opinion may point the way forward for Johnson's future. Although being immune from a further VONC for the best part of a year may scupper things there if he chooses not to resign.
Mid-term of office for any incumbent Government is always a dreaded time to look forward to. It has always been so.

You do like your whataboutery-style comparisons don't you?
Indeed I do. They brighten up the darkest day.... :D

Busaholic

Veteran Member
There are sources, including Dan Hodges and Christopher Hope, who are claiming some of the whips have jumped ship, which if true means Johnson is a sitting duck. Joe Pike from Sky also has heard reports as of 1-2 hours ago that 54 letters have been sent.
I suspect they've got it completely wrong (not at all uncommon with Dan Hodges, at least.) The Chief Whip and his underlings spent all yesterday threatening and otherwise undermining those of the new cohort of Tory MPs thought to be considering writing letters to Graham Brady. Christian Wakeford was named by the Times yesterday as being prominent in that group, so doubtless got the full treatment, and was probably told he had no chance of ministerial preferment ever if he went ahead. Unfortunately, his defection might mean the chance of those 54 letters being sent may have been set back.

Bodiddly

He stands accused of breaching a legal matter, yet you end your posting dismissing legality.
You talk about legality and how wording matters. Maybe your head is so far wobbled you don't realise the general public don't give a toss about the finer details. We are now witnessing a pantomime regarding these parties. We're not stupid but the Tories and in particular Johnson, are treating us like idiots.
Well, we're not idiots and we see right through them.
You've now got these ridiculous Covid policies coming out to try and save some face on the ongoing situation. An immediate return to work? How the hell is that going to work over the next few days when a number of people either have Covid or are isolating because of it?
A complete and utter shambles of a PM and Government.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Here's how I see Johnson's term in office ending, if Sue Gray's report ends with something like this statement:-

' I find it almost impossible to believe that the Prime Minister was unaware that the May gathering in the back garden at 10 Downing Street was a social, not work, occasion'.

I think even Johnson would then realise he'd received his P45 , and if he didn't he'd soon learn in no uncertain terms from his MPs. Being Johnson and 'frit' personified he'd make a statement outside 10 Downing Street rather than in the Commons, then have to go face to face with the Queen (oh, to be a fly on the wall!)

I still maintain my position that this will happen by 26th i.e. next Wednesday, but the report may not be available by then of course.

MattRat

On Moderation
Here's how I see Johnson's term in office ending, if Sue Gray's report ends with something like this statement:-

' I find it almost impossible to believe that the Prime Minister was unaware that the May gathering in the back garden at 10 Downing Street was a social, not work, occasion'.

I think even Johnson would then realise he'd received his P45 , and if he didn't he'd soon learn in no uncertain terms from his MPs. Being Johnson and 'frit' personified he'd make a statement outside 10 Downing Street rather than in the Commons, then have to go face to face with the Queen (oh, to be a fly on the wall!)

I still maintain my position that this will happen by 26th i.e. next Wednesday, but the report may not be available by then of course.
So after the lifting of all Covid restrictions? Unless the government somehow does the world record backpeddle when Johnson is gone, of course. I might go and grab some popcorn.....

Status
Not open for further replies.