• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When will the Class 150's start doing the Reading to Basingstoke route?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobShipway

Established Member
Is there any date been given by FGW as to when the Class 150 prototypes will be doing the Reading to Basingstoke route?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lrd

Established Member
I thought it would be the May timetable change, this is just what I remember from other threads.

anthony263

Established Member
1 of them is currently at Barton Hill having a refresh however I suspect it will be about May as they need the extra class 165's urgently especially with the olympics coming up.

louis97

Established Member
There isn't a May timetable change this year...

There isn't in that timetables have been planned all the way until December. However train times will still change on FGW in May (As will on many other TOCs) because of the summer and the extra services it brings with it (Newquay HSTs, etc)

TEW

Established Member
May is the time the 150s are meant to be introduced to service, it will depend on when all the necessary crew are trained up though.

anthony263

Established Member
It is hoped to use 150001 on the Reading - Bassingstoke route tommorow from 10:07 to help speed up training with full entry into service from 27th February.

(This according to the FGW coffee shop forum)

TEW

Established Member
The ECS moves in for tomorrow suggest 150001 will work services from 1007 until 1707 off Reading, at the same time every hour.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Will they have the local lines vinyls put on them — it didn't in the video.

fgwrich

Established Member
TEW has beaten me to it.

I wouldnt mind seing how FGW have repainted and refurbished this.

Yep, Starting 10.07 from tomorrow with 001 working intermittently until 002 arrives - Working between 10.07 and 17.07/17.37. As for the interior, it's just a 150/1 interior with the same FGW spec seat covers, new flooring and painted throught and yes, contrary to some beliefs, they have been fitted with the intermediate door controls too.

Des Blind wise, top half appears to be the standard West fleet blind, bottom half is Basingstoke, Reading, Oxford and London Padd (Now that'll be interesting!)
Will they have the local lines vinyls put on them — it didn't in the video.

Seemingly not - FGW rather dissapointingly seem to be dropping the Dynamic & Local lines in favour of just plain blue for the rolling stock, and fading blue on the time tables and info posters...

Last edited:

TEW

Established Member
Dynamic lines is no longer the current FGW livery, all those vinyls are expensive. The smart blue looks quite smart in my opinion, the paint job certainly seems to be of good quality. Will be interesting to see what livery the 180s come out in, Hull Trains style or FGW style.

monty9120

they look good,im glad they had a nice spruce up. there good looking machines. i will miss them on the snow hill line. i wish i had the chance to travel on them for more years then i did.
so even though 001 arrived later its the first one to run a service tomorrow? i cant wait for the pics hehe

Captain Chaos

Hi all!

Just incase anyone is interested 150001 will be in passenger service today starting from the 10:07 Reading to Basingstoke. Not sure when till but I know the 15:07 Reading to Basingstoke will be 150 run too.

I will be guarding the 13:07 and 14:07 runs.

Lrd

Established Member
I went and travelled on it today, I was on the 1537 from Basingstoke as far as Bramley, the livery looks really good, so shiny!

43021HST

Established Member
Dynamic lines is no longer the current FGW livery, all those vinyls are expensive. The smart blue looks quite smart in my opinion, the paint job certainly seems to be of good quality. Will be interesting to see what livery the 180s come out in, Hull Trains style or FGW style.

Glad to hear FGW are getting rid of all that squiggly nonsense on the side of their stock. Be nice to have some variety in Reading, I dont think Reading has had a regular Sprinter service since the days of Virgin 158s.

By the way are the 150s used today stabled at Reading tonight?

Last edited:

Lrd

Established Member
It's still got 3+2 seating, but FGW covers, walls have been painted, new clean floor, still bl***y loud! Livery looks good.

Very similar to the turbo's.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Glad to hear FGW are getting rid of all that squiggly nonsense on the side of their stock. Be nice to have some variety in Reading, I dont think Reading has had a regular Sprinter service since the days of Virgin 158s.

By the way are the 150s used today stabled at Reading tonight?

All of the West fleet of 150/2s will have visited Reading at some point since there was a service in 1994 which brought a pair to Reading to form a morning peak service to Bristol - 0642 from Reading - I had 150239+150234 on 18 May 1994. This pre-dates the 158 service that used to run from London Waterloo. At one time there was also a 0045 from Paddington to Swindon formed of a unit.

TEW

Established Member
Several have visited under the current franchise as well, Reading Depot has the facilities to perform some of the more major work on the fleet.

Michael.Y

Established Member
That livery is more befitting a train of 150001's standing I think, much more dignified.

Nick O. Teen

Yep, Starting 10.07 from tomorrow with 001 working intermittently until 002 arrives - Working between 10.07 and 17.07/17.37. As for the interior, it's just a 150/1 interior with the same FGW spec seat covers, new flooring and painted throught and yes, contrary to some beliefs, they have been fitted with the intermediate door controls too.

Des Blind wise, top half appears to be the standard West fleet blind, bottom half is Basingstoke, Reading, Oxford and London Padd (Now that'll be interesting!)

Seemingly not - FGW rather dissapointingly seem to be dropping the Dynamic & Local lines in favour of just plain blue for the rolling stock, and fading blue on the time tables and info posters...

No they haven't, Rich. It's dispatch from the rear; the intermediate panels are not enabled, and there is some confusion as to whether they ever will be. We'll see.... (nice paint job, though).

Three trips today - good to get started on 'em.

Status
Not open for further replies.