• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where do you spend your holidays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siggi155

Hi,
today I've got a little query. Where do you go on holidays or where have you been on holidays. And maybe which was the best or most funniest?

Well, I've been spending my own holidays at the following places:
Lake Balaton (Hungary, 2 times, each a 22 hours trip by train),
Baltic sea and Passau (Germany),
Llandudno (Wales),
Sunny Beach (Bulgaria, the best holidays ever 8-) , a must-experience),
Mallorca
Ticino (Switzerland),
Zurich, London, Glasgow, Florence, Prague and Krakow as short town trips
Munich Octoberfest every year
..and I think I forgot some places...

I've never been off Europe and I've never visited exotic places. But next year in autumn I will go to Montego Bay, Jamaica :D
(I 've visited all these places with some friends, not as a child with my parents)

Greets from here to there...

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

almark

Dawlish Warren,nuff said!
In the past:
Abegele (N Wales)
Port Grimaud (S France)
Salou (Spain,near Tarragonna)
Paris
Torquay
Dawlish sea front,has to be the best!

Dawlish is the best,never miss a thing! (or it was!)

mrcheek

Established Member
I spend every holiday on the railways with some kind of rover!
Usually I just do the southwest, although last year I did a 2 week ALR.

Mr Alex

Usually a three day holiday based around railways, my latest being staying the night at Ipswich, then going to Barnetby, staying the night then coming back. Although this year I went to Austria which was superb!
But genrally, it is railway orientated
;)

Gizmogle

Established Member
For the last two years, Dan (LittleRedTrain) and I have been taking a week or so to go on railway based holidays around the country.

Last edited:

william

Established Member
Crimdon rocks!

Scotland, Ireland, London and East coast. Been to Barcelona, but that was a field trip.

Ilove165's

I mainly spend mine on the Costa del Sol visiting my grandparents, but in the past I have been to:

Kissimee,Fl.
Frankfurt
and Barcelona (but that was a factfinding trip for school....)

Sam

almark

Careful there...:lol:
Ok I admit it, it is rather a sh!ithole to be honest, thats why im gald to get away!
;)

haha,
To be honest,i'd agree! Hollicombe beach mmmm nice smell of....toilets! Used to stay on Livermead,place called the Wheatridge,used get knackered walking up the drive!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Been to Poros twice, that was nice. Went years ago to Portugal, which again was nice. This Christmas I'm down in Bognor Regis, family holiday.

I spend most of the year doing day or weekend trips here and there, even a few times a year doing a 3-day mega-bash. Much like my early birthday present to myself in early December which is spread over 3 days and being a track bashing spree. Otherwise I do a few regional rovers, most often a FoSS, over the course of the year.

It's all change though in 2009, where the primary focus will be on getting required track done. Whether on regional rovers/rangers or 3-day mega-bashes, I plan to have a lot more blue on my map in 2009!

So the answer to the OP would be: Virtually anywhere on the rails in the UK.

Mr Alex

haha,
To be honest,i'd agree! Hollicombe beach mmmm nice smell of....toilets! Used to stay on Livermead,place called the Wheatridge,used get knackered walking up the drive!
Its probably because your not used to it! Torbay is very hilly, but im used to it as I walk everywhere in Torbay, literally
Well there did use to be a Gasworks at Hollicombe Beach but its gone now and not so bad, although the traffic iis hurrendous everywhere you go...:roll:
;)

Phoenix

Established Member
Well I go twice a year to essex to see my nan and do some Electric vegging but it's mainly to see my grandparents.As for the proper holidays well usually I go skiing in the italian alps but havent for 2 years but last year went to cyprus and hopefully this year me and Andrewmay might be going to Germany to see some damn good electrics.

almark

Its probably because your not used to it! Torbay is very hilly, but im used to it as I walk everywhere in Torbay, literally
Well there did use to be a Gasworks at Hollicombe Beach but its gone now and not so bad, although the traffic iis hurrendous everywhere you go...:roll:
;)

Still rather live there than lovely Wakefield tho! Although when im at the "home" at Dawlish i still miss everything,and there's only one line :oops:

Gareth Hale

England, Scotland, Wales, Canada, North Carolina, Tennessee, Minnesota, Illinois, New York.

Where ever the planes go really.

Matt Taylor

Established Member
More often than not I can be found in Singapore, notable for having only one railway station. I also have been known to frequent New South Wales, California and Nevada.

I've only holidayed in this country once in the last nine years and it was an unmitigated disaster, I much prefer the warmth of the tropics anyway.:)

Matt

devon_metro

Established Member
;)

Tell me about the hills. Cycling is hell. <(

Established Member
Holidays? I am usually to be found in Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Portugal or Spain in that order. Have also been to Holland, Belgium and Luxembourg as well as passing through / poking my nose into several more (all in Europe)

Anywhere in the North East with lots of freight. I don't really like going on holidays and doing nothing.

Who said that you have to do nothing on holiday? Until 10 to 12 years ago, we always used to go somewhere to chase and photograph freight in the UK, but everything has got so boring in the UK now (IMHO), and there is much less traffic. Still plenty to ride behind and photograph in other parts of Europe :D

Death

Established Member
Hail All! <D
When it comes to holidays, I tend to go all over the place for the most part...Normally when I go somewhere for the first time, it's mainly because BAL-SAGOTH have played a concert near there! :shock:<D

Anyhow, there are a few destinations that hold a special place within my heart: 8)
  • Hamburg, Germany (Normally visit at least twice a year).
  • Helsinki, Finland.
  • The Highlands, Scotland,
  • The Yorkshire Dales, Ye all know where that is! :razz:
  • Wiscounsin North, Wiscounsin, U.S.A.
  • San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
There are also a few places that I hope to visit at some point in the near future, too:
  • Tromsø and Bergen, Norway.
  • Moscow and St. Petersburg, Russia.
  • Rekjavik, Iceland.
  • The boreal Arctic and Antarctic continents.
  • Tokyo and Osaka, Japan.
  • Hong Kong, Shanghai and Taipei, China.
  • Most of Australia East - During the Winter months of course! :razz:
  • And New Zealand too.
Finally, I'd also recommend New York, NY, U.S.A as an ideal destination for rapid transit enthusiasts! :)

More often than not I can be found in Singapore, notable for having only one railway station.
ok, seriously, someones gotta ask: so where the hell does the train go to???
Maybe it runs on a loop line? :lol::razz:
Seriously though, I'd imagine what Matt means by "only one railway station" is either,
  1. The country only has one physical railway station - All other points of call in the country might be signposted bus-stop style halts, similar to remote lines on the Canadian network,
  2. Or the city of Singapore (Which - Looking at Google Maps - Appears to be an island nation) only has one mainline railway station that connects it with services to/from Malaysia.
Farewell... <D
>> Death <<

Last edited:

laseandre

Established Member
I've been to Salou and Benalmadena, in Spain. This year I went to Nice, France. Sometimes I go to Ireland (all over really, but especially Dublin, for the DART and Luas). Most of the time though, I spend here in Blighty, on jaunts mainly around Glasgow.

me123

Established Member
My worst holiday was definitely Dunoon. I got sick of Jersey, CI. Quite liked Bruxelles and Roquettas de Mar in Almeria, (although not the "Urbanization"). Amsterdam's nice, but there was too much to worry about.

laseandre

Established Member
Oh, Berlin in October there. Almost forgot about it. Trains there - amazing and very efficient. I believe they're announced as late after a minute, none of this 5 minutes malarkey.

me123

Established Member
To be fair, ours can be announced from 3 minutes (3 minutes being, of course, "approximately 5").

Craig

Established Member
Rekjavik, Iceland.

I've always fancied visiting Iceland, particularly the southern bit with waterfalls like Skógafoss. It could possible be combined with a trip to the far north of Scotland then taking the ferry up to Seyðisfjörður.

Death

Established Member
It could possible be combined with a trip to the far north of Scotland then taking the ferry up to Seyðisfjörður.
Hmm...That sounds interesting, although I must confess I wasn't aware of any ferry links between Scotland and Iceland! :shock:

How long does the trip take, and what are ticket prices like? 8)

Craig

Established Member
Hmm...That sounds interesting, although I must confess I wasn't aware of any ferry links between Scotland and Iceland! :shock:
http://www.smyril-line.com/

As far as I can tell it calls at Scrabster (near Thurso) and the Faroe Isles en-route from Norway to Iceland.

How long does the trip take, and what are ticket prices like? 8)

I haven't worked that much out yet :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.