• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where have you been in the world?

Where have you been?

• Europe beyond the UK

Votes: 162 97.6%
  • Africa

Votes: 63 38.0%
  • North or Central America

Votes: 111 66.9%
  • South America

Votes: 26 15.7%
  • Asia

Votes: 90 54.2%
  • Oceania

Votes: 36 21.7%
  • Antarctica

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not bey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not beyond the UK

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters

Calthrop

Established Member
(I'm often a fool with computers -- can't figure out how the "voting" mechanism works.)

Snap!
UK, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Poland, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Romania, Bulgaria, Greece, Turkey, Ukraine, Russia, China, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand, Tunisia, Egypt, Ethiopia, Kenya*, Seychelles*, Mauritius*, Tanzania, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Lesotho*, USA, Canada, Peru, Bolivia, Argentina (* not ridden on railway in this country) 52 countries

Changed planes/had break at, without leaving airport: Madagascar, Qatar, UAE, Cape Verde
Landed at, but not left aircraft: Democratic Republic of Congo, Cote D'Ivoire
You'd have problems trying to travel by rail in Seychelles or Mauritius :smile: .

Rather modelling my post on yours; but with, for me, just a modest 26 at most-generous-within-reason. Slight element of historical "jiggering": viz -- as noted in my list -- stuff with former Yugoslavia. Countries wherein have done no rail travel, marked -- as with you -- with *. I'm choosing to exclude lands which I've "passed through", but not been outside the airport.

UK, Republic of Ireland, Spain, France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Denmark, Germany (both West and East, both pre-and post-reunification), Austria, Romania, Poland, Czech Republic, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Bosnia (all the preceding four: my visits to those parts were when it was all still Yugoslavia -- listing the "bits" which I actually visited), Sweden* (destination of "mini-cruise" from England: four hours "in country", at Goteborg), Hungary* (essentially passing through country by car, en route to / from elsewhere), Zimbabwe, Botswana (very brief visit to B., but did include a rail journey), India, Myanmar, People's Republic of China. And one which I'm not sure if I should count; but with its being, in an unfortunate way, topical: Ukraine -- about an hour within same, in 1984, as part of a regular Polish State Railways passenger working between Zagorz and Przemysl, which passed en route through a small corner of what was then the Ukraininan SSR, with appropriate security-personnel antics.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

route101

Established Member
I have been to many places within Europe but only ventured outside Europe a handful of times. Australia a couple of times, China, Japan and USA few times.

Cambus731

I have been all over the majority of the British Isles, with the exception of the northern half of the island of Ireland, Hayling Island, The northern part of Somerset, Brecon Beacons, Swansea, Fishguard, , the majority of North and Eastern Lincolnshire (although I have been to Skegness and been to Barton on Humber and over the Humber Bridge. Other parts of Great Britain I haven't been to are the Stranraer area, and Western Scotland in general, although I have been to Glasgow, Fort William and Kyle of Lochalsh. Apart from a few hours in Kyleakin I've never been on any of the offshore islands of Scotland. Never been to Aberfeldy or Brechin, or Peterhead. Or Levin. Apart from Thurso, I've never been to Scotland's North Coast. I'm particularly kicking myself for making it to Thurso & Wick but not to John o Groats. Also never been to The Isle of Man, or Holy Island off the coast of Northumberland. I've been to just about every large town/city in the British Isles apart from Belfast, Derry, Doncaster, Grimsby, Cleethorpes, Scunthorpe, Stafford and Swansea.
Never been to the Channel Islands, although I disagree with them being considered part of the British Isles.

When it comes to being outside of the British Isles it's a much different story. I never ventured beyond Great Britain until 1998, then over a 5½ year period, I went all over the southern counties of the Republic of Ireland. Calais thrice, Lieige & Ostend in Belgium . Hook of Holland, Amsterdam and Utrecht in the Netherlands , Salzburg in Austria and Munich, and Berchtesgaden in Germany, including going up The Eagle's Nest.
TBH, I'm not quite sure my overseas travels ended abruptly in late 2003 and I've not been off the island of Great Britain since, apart from Canvey Island, Portsea Island and couple of days on the Isle of Wight, but that is what happened.

Last edited:

vinoboxer

I went to Mexico on my honeymoon last year but I can't remember what continent that is...South America maybe?

Other than that, Europe and UK for me! Pretty well travelled around both to be fair. Hoping to get a 2 week trip with the wife this year somewhere exotic.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Furthest West: Ireland
Furthest North : Norway & Sweden (this side of Arctic Circle)
Furthest East: Hungary (when still communist)
Furthest South: Parts of former Yugoslavia (now Slovenia & Croatia.)

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Africa (Gambia). Austria. Belgium. Bulgaria. Channel Isles. Croatia. Cyprus (Greek and Turkish sides). Czech Republic. Denmark. Estonia. France. Germany. Greece. Hungary. India. Ireland. Italy. Latvia. Mexico (north, south). Monaco. Netherlands. Russia. Slovakia. Slovenia. Spain. Sri Lanka. Sweden. Switzerland. USA (various states). Vatican

Last edited:

SteveP29

'I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere, man'

I haven't, but it sounds good.
France, Germany, Spain, Italy, USA for me.
Have also travelled through Belgium en route to Germany

J-2739

Established Member
'I've been everywhere, man
I've been everywhere, man'

I haven't, but it sounds good.
France, Germany, Spain, Italy, USA for me.
Have also travelled through Belgium en route to Germany
This is the same for me, but trade Germany with Portugal.

ac6000cw

Established Member
France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg, Norway, Italy, Spain (inc. most of the major islands), Portugal, Austria, Switzerland, Croatia, Montenegro, Cyprus, Greece, Ireland (north and south), Singapore, Malaysia, Cuba, Tobago, St Lucia, Grenada, Mauritius, Canada, USA (multiple states inc. Hawaii and Alaska), Iceland, Jersey, Vatican City, England, Wales and Scotland.

(It's taken 40+ years to do all of that, though!)

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
I have been all over the majority of the British Isles, with the exception of the northern half of the island of Ireland, Hayling Island, The northern part of Somerset, Brecon Beacons, Swansea Fishguard, , the majority of North and Eastern Lincolnshire (although I have been to Skegness and been to Barton on Humber and over the Humber Bridge. Other parts of Great Britain I haven't been to are the Stranraer area, and Western Scotland in general, although I have been to Glasgow, Fort William and Kyle of Lochalsh. Apart from a few hours in Kyleakin I've never been on any of the offshore islands of Scotland. Never been to Aberfeldy or Brechin, or Peterhead. Or Levin. Apart from Thurso, I've never been to Scotland's North Coast. I'm particularly kicking myself for making it to Thurso & Wick but not to John o Groats. Also never been to The Isle of Man, or Holy Island off the coast of Northumberland. I've been to just about every large town/city in the British Isles apart from Belfast, Doncastee, Stafford and Swansea.
Never been to the Channel Islands, although I disagree with them being considered part of the British Isles.

When it comes to being outside of the British Isles it's a much different story. I never ventured beyond Great Britain until 1998, then over a 5½ year period, I went all over the southern counties of the Republic of Ireland. Caiais thrice, Lieige & Ostend in Belgium . Hook of Holland, Amsterdam and Utrecht in the Netherlands , Salzburg in Austria and Munich, and Berchtesgaden in Germany, including going up The Eagle's Nest.
TBH, I'm not quite sure my overseas travels ended abruptly in late 2003 and I've not been off the island of Great Britain since, apart from a couple of days on the Isle of Wight, but that is what happened.
Latching-on here if I may: I consider that I'm acquainted first-hand, pretty much, with England and Wales throughout (if, with some bits, a little sketchily). The largest settlement population-wise in England and Wales, which I've never been to: is Batley, West Yorkshire. Have visited fairly comprehensively, the Isle of Man; and the Channel Islands -- all the leading five of same. (I've never been to Hayling Island either !)

With Scotland it is -- to my regret -- another story. Have made a fair number of visits to the country, and mostly loved it -- but have missed out on large tracts; and advanced years and infirmities make remedying this, look not very hopeful. I've never been anywhere north of a little way north from Dingwall; nor to the Outer Hebrides. Have seen nothing of the part of Scotland between a line drawn from Forres to Blairgowrie, and the North Sea; with the sole exception of a long day-trip, very many years ago, Dundee -- Aberdeen -- Fraserburgh and return (was in the dead of winter; much of the southern part of the journey, in the dark). Haven't ever been -- mainland or islands -- south-west of a line Oban -- Helensburgh; or in any of the area bounded by the Glasgow -- Perth, and Glasgow -- Crianlarich, rail lines. And there's a huge chunk of country south-by-east from Glasgow, basically down to Dumfries, which has eluded me. "Nearer-at-hand" Scottish islands: the only one on which I've set foot (relatively extensively) is Skye; have seen some of the others very close to, from boats.

Have spent little real-life time on the island of Ireland (wish that much more of same, had been feasible); but covered a fair bit of it, I feel, in that little time -- have travelled over the majority of the active-as-of-today rail passenger network. Mostly "off the rails", feel that have seen the majority of Northern Ireland; the Republic, rather less so.

Cambus731

Furthest West: the end of the Dingle peninsular in South Western Ireland
Furthest North : the northern outskirts of Thurso, looking for a chippy
Furthest East: Salzburg
Furthest South: Berchtesgaden or Eagles Nest, which ever is further south.
I know its not impressive but its the truth

Calthrop

Established Member
Points-of-compass extremes for me:

Furthest West: Tralee
Furthest North: Kinlochewe (Highland), or Goteborg (Sweden) -- from the atlas, they seem pretty well "neck and neck".
Furthest East: Shenyang (China)
Furthest South: Francistown (Botswana)

northwichcat

Established Member
Interesting at present it's 58 votes for Africa, while 100 for North America. While I get USA and Canada are an attraction for many people, I'm surprised so few have even visited a North African country like Morroco or Egypt, that are much cheaper options than North America.

najaB

Veteran Member
My compass points are:
  • North: Thurso, UK
  • South: Curitiba, Brazil
  • East: Dresden, Germany
  • West: San Francisco, USA

Interesting at present it's 58 votes for Africa, while 100 for North America. While I get USA and Canada are an attraction for many people, I'm surprised so few have even visited a North African country like Morroco or Egypt, that are much cheaper options than North America.
There are probably more connections (either work or family) in North America whereas, for a lot of us, any travel to Africa would be for leisure.

Trainguy34

North: Edinburgh, Scotland
South: Paphos, Cyprus
East: Paphos, Cyprus
West: San Francisco, USA

Railsigns

Established Member
North: Trondheim, Norway
South: Stewart Island, New Zealand
East: Taihape, New Zealand

Typhoon

Established Member
Like some others, I feel a bit of a fraud - Europe, just once - a day trip to Boulogne! It proved how useless an 'O' level in French was. (Also Canada - two weeks, visit relatives). However, #17, I have been to Herne Bay.

Never been to Scotland or Northern Ireland; have been to Wales (Welsh and English); I've been trying to restore some photos I took of a week in a snowy Snowdonia about thirty years ago - why go to Switzerland. Lapland, wherever when that is on my doorstep?

jmh59

Wow some of you guys have been to so many places! We did Canada (Montreal) and Hong Kong many times on family visits, USA (Baltimore, Orlando x3), Australia (Sydney x 2), China (Beijing, Nanjing), France (Paris, Tours), Portugal (Lisbon), Netherlands (Amsterdam x 4), Turkey (Bodram), India (New Delhi, Pune + golden triangle)

Typhoon

Established Member
I bet you didn't see any reindeer though!
You are right - however, plenty of sheep, I can cope with them!

(Smaller deer are OK).

Completely left field - but just above the notification that there was a response to this thread was
https://www.newmarketholidays.co.uk...GO|BRD|E|Pure~ag~UK|EN|GO|BRD|E|Pure_Holidays

1. I have no kids
2. If I did they would have kids of their own (who might have kids of their own).
3. I would feel distinctly uncomfortable sitting on Santa's knee (fortunately, I am a miserable g!t so probably don't count as 'nice')
4. I adhere to the Gregorian Calendar; only a few of those who stick to the old calendar have yet to celebrate Christmas (next Friday)
5. Christmas is over. I have seen a shop window full of stuff for Valentine's Day. Easter Eggs and Hot Cross Buns are widely available.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Mostly travelled in Europe although been to USA twice, Morocco once and Turkey (both European and Asia side) once. Within Europe all of the UK countries, in addition Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Vatican, France, Monaco, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Greece, North Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Serbia, Kosovo (interested if anyone been as only know of 4 people and 3 of those were on trip when I went!), Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia and Austria. Think that's all of them. Except Iceland and Vatican have been on a train in all of them (as long as I can count New York Subway?!).

Urobach

Belgium, Cuba, Cyprus, Dominican Republic, Egypt, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Spain (although only the Canary Islands), Switzerland, USA

We were hoping to visit Japan, but COVID put pay to that and still haven't rebooked...

Furthest:
North: Inverness, Scotland
East: Sharm-el-Sheikh, Egypt
South: Soana Island,. Dominican Republic

Although to be pedantic, technically I've been further north than Scotland flying over the Atlantic :lol:

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Russia, Turkey, Austria, Belgium, Cyprus, France, St Martin, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sint Maarten, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Ukraine, UK, Vatican City, Antigua & Barbuda, Barbados, Canada, St Kitts & Nevis, St Lucia, United States, Bahamas.

North: Narvik
East: Cyprus
West: San Francisco
South: Barbados

DelW

Established Member
North: Reykjavik, Iceland - though only to change planes and I didn't leave the airport. If that's not allowed: Alesund, Norway.

West: Port Orford, Oregon - the second most westerly point of the contiguous* USA, after the tip of the Olympic peninsula west of Seattle.

East: Hong Kong, before it was returned to China.

South: Cape Agulhas, South Africa - which is the southernmost point of Africa, not the Cape of Good Hope as is often mistakenly thought.

*(i.e. excluding Alaska and Hawaii)

route101

Established Member
Mostly travelled in Europe although been to USA twice, Morocco once and Turkey (both European and Asia side) once. Within Europe all of the UK countries, in addition Ireland, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Vatican, France, Monaco, Liechtenstein, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Iceland, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, Czechia, Slovakia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Greece, North Macedonia, Albania, Montenegro, Serbia, Kosovo (interested if anyone been as only know of 4 people and 3 of those were on trip when I went!), Croatia, Slovenia, Bosnia and Austria. Think that's all of them. Except Iceland and Vatican have been on a train in all of them (as long as I can count New York Subway?!).
I went to Kosovo briefly on a day trip from Skopje.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Was that by train? If so please can I ask when and what was the traction?
We only did a day trip but by car and took train from Fushe Kosove to Pristine so not exactly adventurous!

gswindale

In my voting, I've plumped for Europe and North/Central America, but I can't decide if that is really accurate or not as I don't really count Madeira/Canaries or The Azores as Europe, given that one is just off the coast of Africa and the other is in the middle of the Atlantic.

Overall not that well travelled:
USA, Canada, Tobago, St Kitts & Nevis
Adores, Madeira, Tenerife
Isle of Man, Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark and a day trip to her
Do Orkney and Shetland count as separate?
France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Italy.
Passed through Luxembourg and visited the Vatican City.

Think that's it.

alex397

Established Member
Out of interest, how did you travel there? Train or Coach? Or hire a car? I’ve considered this when planning Skopje to try and include Kosovo.

With the Balkans, I’ve visited Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia and Bosnia-Herzegovina. I’d very much like to visit the rest but the few flights there are tend to be at very awkward times, meaning an expensive hotel night at Luton. It also involves a lot more planning in comparison to the rest of Europe because, well, it’s the Balkans! I travelled to Bosnia alone too, and while it was absolutely fine (one of my favourite holidays in fact), I feel the Balkans are countries where the experience would be so much better travelling with someone else, especially at times when things go wrong (and they are quite likely to!).