• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where is Lincoln Cathedral?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oswyntail

Established Member
(Apart from the obvious, of course!)
Mrs O regularly travels down to the big smoke, and likes to split the journey up by looking out for various landmarks. She has been told that it is possible to see Lincoln Cathedral from the ECML but has not yet been able to make it out. Does anyone know an exact location where she can see it - presumably it is a fairly fleeting glimpse, so a description of any other landmarks that could be used to reference it might come in handy.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philjo

Established Member
Lincoln Cathedral can be seen in several places from the ECML- mainly on the stretch between Retford & Newark (a glimpse can also be seen on clear days from just south of Newark)
There is a fleeting glimpse just south of Retford.
as you travel towards Newark, there is one section where the cathedral can be seen for several minutes.

It is easiest seen on a late afternoon with the sun in the west, as it is then lit up by the sun.
Also, at night the cathedral is usually illuminated (except during Lent etc) so can be seen after dark.
You do need reasonable visibility, as the cathedral as about 15-17 miles from the ECML, depending on which point you see it from.

Oliver

(Apart from the obvious, of course!)
Mrs O regularly travels down to the big smoke, and likes to split the journey up by looking out for various landmarks. She has been told that it is possible to see Lincoln Cathedral from the ECML but has not yet been able to make it out. Does anyone know an exact location where she can see it - presumably it is a fairly fleeting glimpse, so a description of any other landmarks that could be used to reference it might come in handy.

Yes, I think it can be seen on a clear day; it's about 10 miles east of the main line. If you are travelling south, look out of the left hand side of the train between Retford and Newark. I'm not sure exactly where the best view is from; it's obviously on the horizon.

Here's a link to the Fotopic site of Mr Mick Barstow. The captions suggests that it can be seen from the ECML, though this shot is from Lincoln itself.

http://michael170.fotopic.net/p54838888.html

Last edited:

O L Leigh

Established Member
I can confirm that Lincoln Cathedral is indeed visible from ECML services. However, the visibility has to be EXCEPTIONALLY good to even catch a glimpse. If it's not sunny in Lincoln itself or there is any mist at all between the line and the city and it won't reveal itself.

O L Leigh

ungreat

A good one to look out for is the old abandoned church near Abbotts Ripton south of Peterborough..according to local legend its not been used since the Black Death reached it hundreds of years ago,but I doubt thats true!

Its on the left if heading towards London

A good one to look out for is the old abandoned church near Abbotts Ripton south of Peterborough..according to local legend its not been used since the Black Death reached it hundreds of years ago,but I doubt thats true!
I had no idea the church was abandoned, but often wondered why it was in such an isolated spot. I think it's near a settlement called, ironically, Church End. I'd love to visit some of these spots by road - there could be a book in it - Sights and Legends of the ECML. There's an idea for anybody with the time and knowledge...

Oswyntail

Established Member
Mrs O would like to thank you for your help. When she went down last Wednesday it was indeed clear an crisp, and she thinks she managed to sight the Cathedral on the way down. On the way back she saw it again from a slightly different location, but definitely illuminated. She has now added it to her list of landmarks for her journeys.

DaveNewcastle

Established Member
Mrs O . . managed to sight the Cathedral on the way down. On the way back she saw it again from a slightly different location . . . .
Just confirms that this forum is THE most reliable, useful and informative reference source for all UK railway matters! (Well, sometimes. Waffle, errors, uninformed opinion, personal chats, infuriated rants and arrogant self-importance excepted of course)

I had no idea the church was abandoned, but often wondered why it was in such an isolated spot. I think it's near a settlement called, ironically, Church End. I'd love to visit some of these spots by road - there could be a book in it - Sights and Legends of the ECML. There's an idea for anybody with the time and knowledge...

Dunno if the market for historical and/or pictorial books is as strong as it used to be but . . . . I have to agree - the ECML is full of interesting sights and buildings, many of which have nothing to do with railways. I find most of the interesting and abandoned buildings are in the north of the line (Newcastle -> Inverness and Aberdeen) but always enjoy hearing about sights I've been passing for decades and not understood.
I've learnt a lot from conversations with fellow passengers, and I guess if I had to, I could probably keep up one of those very annoying tour guide commentaries pointing out "interesting" sights without a moment's pause, all the way from Newcastle to Aviemore. (So you'd all better hope I never get THAT job! That would reduce pax numbers quite badly)

Okay, so what will the Chapter headings be? And who's going to take the pics? ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.