• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveT

View media item 14
A rather poor quality TV screenshot of a WW2 scene. I can offer no clues as to its location but a wooden-platformed station half a mile south of a tunnel should be a good start.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There doesn't seem to be a picture SteveT?

SteveT

Try this:

full

https://www.railforums.co.uk/media/where-is-it-003.14/full?d=1507830214

SteveT

The image is in an album (shared). I have used both the media and image buttons i.e. both IMG and URL tags.

I can see it.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Can you not just upload it to the forum using the middle of the three red buttons at the lower right of the new post creation space?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is it anything to do with SteveT being a new member?
Does this photo have to be checked by the mods perhaps?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ah there you go. Great photo, looks a bit LMS to me? I'm sure someone will recognise it, it looks like a reasonably important route.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes, I can see it now. I agree with Cowley it does look a bit LMS; that locomotive has the Stanier front end - maybe a Black 5?

Spartacus

Established Member
I think Ambergate's always has solid platforms.

I was thinking it looks a lot like Gomersal station, and although it isn't it looks similar enough, with similar if not identical fittings, to suggest that it's another LNWR station somewhere.

Can you remember which program it was on?

Ash Bridge

Established Member
The former Queensbury Station in Yorkshire has some similarities too. Ambergate seems to have possessed some wooden platform sections in earlier times on both up and down Matlock lines judging from a few images images I've seen, the lack of semaphore signaling on the above shot doesn't quite seem to fit though.

SteveT

Not Queensbury –looking towards the tunnel I'd expect to see four tracks and a footbridge.
Not Ambergate – there is no tunnel there (not a short distance from the end of any of the platforms).

SteveT

Can you remember which program it was on?

Found it...

The relevant archive film runs from 20:45 to 21:01.

Don't be fooled by the scenes showing what looks very much like a northern landscape and townscape. The whole sequence could have been cobbled together from any number of reels. However, immediately after the shot of the train arriving is a scene of soldiers on the platform of what is almost certainly the same station. The lamp and that heavily wooded hillside is the link. Queensbury doesn't have those woods.

The wooden station building should be a big help.

Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
The shot on 21:00 bang-on may be the best clue, if only someone could enlarge it.

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Looking at the loco now, I kind of think it has more a GWR front end.
And the station, which I thought had Midland style fencing - does not.

Anyone recognise the lamps?

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Hawick on the Borders line?

I never went to Hawick when the Waverley was open, but surely it would have been a more substantial station that the one in this film? I mean, the thought of having to work from that wooden hut in winter temperatures of 10F ...... just doesn't seem possible. I know Hawick isn't a massive place, but I think the station would have been more than this in the film.

Status
Not open for further replies.