• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where next to double track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aictos

Established Member
For starters I would have though Hever to Uckfield and have it as twin track throughout with it being electrified if possible at same time or have work done to allow for it at a future date.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainmania100

Established Member
Few years ago when I travelled on it, the 171 2 car from Brighton to Ashford was very packed. Maybe good idea to double track the section between ore and Ashford and increase frequency

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Tomatin to Culloden
Kilmarnock to Barrassie
Saltcoats to Largs
Dalcross to Inverness
Aberdeen to Keith
Ayr to Girvan
Barrhead to Lugton
Stewarton to Kilmarnock

Brush 4

The rest of the Cotswold line. The rest of Salisbury to Exeter. Windermere.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Few years ago when I travelled on it, the 171 2 car from Brighton to Ashford was very packed. Maybe good idea to double track the section between ore and Ashford and increase frequency

....surely running more than 2 carriages might be a better idea to start with?

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Pantyffynon - Llandovery
Doleau - Llandrindod Wells

Both of those would allow a 2 hourly frequency between Swansea/Abertawe and Llandovery, plus a 2 hourly Cardiff Central - Llandeilo or Llandovery to operate, and also a 2 hourly Shrewsbury - Llandrindod Wells to operate. The central section between Llandrindod Wells and Llandovery could then have a frequency of every 4 hours through extending the Swansea - Llandovery and Shrewsbury - Llandrindod Wells to meet up (I worked out a possible clock face pattern a while ago - "West Glamorgan and Dyfed" was the first part of the title of the thread I created)

Also in Wales, I would get Chester - Wrexham General and the Ebbw Vale doubled properly.

Furthermore, I would also double Machynlleth - Dyfi Junction and Machynlleth - Tallerdig Summit (or Caersws, as it looked it was double at one time) so as to provide robustness for the 60 minute frequency between Aberystwyth and Shrewsbury, and also a few extra minutes in the bag for the reopening of Bow Street Interchange between Borth and Aberystwyth).

VT 390

Established Member
Great Malvern to Ledbury and Ledbury to Hereford as when I travelled on this route recently (on the 08:54 to Hereford) it arrived at Great Malvern about 7 minutes late and then had to wait for almost 20 minutes to wait for the 09:18 from Hereford to arrive at Malvern which then caused me to miss my transport for wales connection at Hereford and delayed the following service to New Street as it arrived at Hereford late, also this route is regularly overcrowded so a more frequent service would be nice.

Established Member
Another vote for Soham to Ely and the Felixstowe branch in it's entirety, the Felixstowe shuttle service is very fragile because of delays imported by freight services from further afield. Ore to Ashford and Hurst Green to Uckfield don't really need it, there are adequate passing opportunities to run either with a more frequent off peak service than they get currently.

Veteran Member
Ore to Ashford and Hurst Green to Uckfield don't really need it, there are adequate passing opportunities to run either with a more frequent off peak service than they get currently.

Ore to Rye would struggle to cope with more than 3 per 2 hours each way (assuming one of them was a stopper) - extending the Rye loop to Winchelsea would do the trick. Uckfield could just manage a 20min service.

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
Ore to Rye would struggle to cope with more than 3 per 2 hours each way (assuming one of them was a stopper) - extending the Rye loop to Winchelsea would do the trick. Uckfield could just manage a 20min service.

But Uckfield doesn't justify a 20 min service and likewise Ore to Rye doesn't need any more than an hourly service. Why should we spend money doubling lines which actually get a pretty good service as it is when there are routes of more strategic importance which still have single line sections (e.g. the Felixstowe to Nuneaton freight corridor)?

Veteran Member
But Uckfield doesn't justify a 20 min service and likewise Ore to Rye doesn't need any more than an hourly service. Why should we spend money doubling lines which actually get a pretty good service as it is when there are routes of more strategic importance which still have single line sections (e.g. the Felixstowe to Nuneaton freight corridor)?
I agree with your priorities here.

Perhaps I wasn't clear, though - Rye to Ore may only need an hourly service (I expect objections to that!), but it hasn't got what you previously called
adequate passing opportunities to run....with a more frequent off peak service than.... currently.
hence my more modest proposal re Winchelsea.

TheWalrus

Established Member
For me personally I would like to see at least Exeter-Honiton and most of the rest of the line done to Salisbury. Also some of the Exmouth branch so a 20 minute frequency could be operated which to me would be ideal, but that’s because I live there!

The Ham

Established Member
For me personally I would like to see at least Exeter-Honiton and most of the rest of the line done to Salisbury. Also some of the Exmouth branch so a 20 minute frequency could be operated which to me would be ideal, but that’s because I live there!

WofE line should be done in advance of Crossrail 2, so that the extra 8 (or is it 9) services an hour released for longer distance services can then run extra services on the route (for clarification in not suggesting all maybe one or two).

Exmouth also makes sense with the large developments at Newcourt increasing the demand for travel in the area. By increasing the frequency of the services it would attract more to use the trains benefiting traffic flows for all.

TheWalrus

Established Member
WofE line should be done in advance of Crossrail 2, so that the extra 8 (or is it 9) services an hour released for longer distance services can then run extra services on the route (for clarification in not suggesting all maybe one or two).

Exmouth also makes sense with the large developments at Newcourt increasing the demand for travel in the area. By increasing the frequency of the services it would attract more to use the trains benefiting traffic flows for all.
Definitely agree with you there. I think the WoE should be double at least Salisbury-Yeovil and Honiton-Exeter so we can have 2tph Waterloo-Yeovil and speed up the Exeters. The Exeter-Honiton can call at all stations so the Waterloo-Exeters can run fast Honiton to Exeter Central.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I think I would add Antrim to Ballymena and re-double all of Bleach Green to Antrim. If it was possible also the single track bits between Lanyon Place and Yorkgate, I believe this is quite a congested section because of the single track river crossing.

DanTrain

Dore Station - this is in the works but goodness knows when it’ll be done! Needed desperately to try and kick some reliability into the Hope Valley!

Starmill

Veteran Member
For starters I would have though Hever to Uckfield and have it as twin track throughout with it being electrified if possible at same time or have work done to allow for it at a future date.
How many passengers actually travel south of Hever? Not an insignificant number to be certain, but, in relative terms...
How many passengers travel on trains while they're between Ashford and Hastings? Sounds like even fewer than between Hever and Uckfield.

They're relatively worthy causes (more than, say, the West Highland line) but it's difficult to see how they should be considered high priority.

Dore Station - this is in the works but goodness knows when it’ll be done! Needed desperately to try and kick some reliability into the Hope Valley!
A section of track carrying both express and stopping trains between two of Britain's biggest cities sounds like a slightly more viable candidate.

Aictos

Established Member
How many passengers actually travel south of Hever? Not an insignificant number to be certain, but, in relative terms...

How many passengers travel on trains while they're between Ashford and Hastings? Sounds like even fewer than between Hever and Uckfield.

They're relatively worthy causes (more than, say, the West Highland line) but it's difficult to see how they should be considered high priority.

A section of track carrying both express and stopping trains between two of Britain's biggest cities sounds like a slightly more viable candidate.

Ever thought that the reason for the "insignificant" number of passengers was the fact that the existing infrastructure actually stifles travel by train for example the Uckfield line, passengers have a half hourly service throughout a weekday however on a Saturday when more travel for leisure use for example would be good, it's only a hourly service.

Not really attractive if you want to go into London for the day is it now?

Veteran Member
Ever thought that the reason for the "insignificant" number of passengers was the fact that the existing infrastructure actually stifles travel by train for example the Uckfield line, passengers have a half hourly service throughout a weekday however on a Saturday when more travel for leisure use for example would be good, it's only a hourly service.

Not really attractive if you want to go into London for the day is it now?

But that's not an infrastructure issue - as you say, the line could easily support a half hourly service if it were profitable.

route101

Established Member
Busby to East Kilbride , although i suspect extra passing loop maybe be cost effective solution

Aictos

Established Member
But that's not an infrastructure issue - as you say, the line could easily support a half hourly service if it were profitable.

If it wasn't then surely they would only have a hourly service on weekdays as well as on weekends? The fact that they DO operate a half hourly service on weekdays says that the demand is there and just needs developing the weekend market.

Status
Not open for further replies.