• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where to retire to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deltic

Established Member
While still have a few years to go where would be a good place to retire if I want to:

Live outside London and south-east (so can afford property)
In a reasonable sized town or suburb which has a good rail service to a nearby large city
Decent bus services to get around said town or suburb

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

radamfi

Established Member
While still have a few years to go where would be a good place to retire if I want to:

In a reasonable sized town or suburb which has a good rail service to a nearby large city

Almost anywhere in the Netherlands outside the west of the country is affordable and most of the country is easily accessible by train, with no train fare above about 30 euro single. Groningen and Assen are particularly good value. Bus services are excellent throughout the country with a nationwide smartcard but arguably not really needed to get around town because of the best cycle network in the world.

deltic

Established Member
Almost anywhere in the Netherlands outside the west of the country is affordable and most of the country is easily accessible by train, with no train fare above about 30 euro single. Groningen and Assen are particularly good value. Bus services are excellent throughout the country with a nationwide smartcard but arguably not really needed to get around town because of the best cycle network in the world.
Thanks but I think Brexit might scupper that idea

Ken H

On Moderation
Thanks but I think Brexit might scupper that idea
why? If you can prove you have enough to sustain yourself without recourse to benefits, and have adequate health insurance, I am sure you will be welcome.

Ken H

On Moderation
go somewhere hot. not having to heat your home through a hard winter is a massive saving.

radamfi

Established Member
why? If you can prove you have enough to sustain yourself without recourse to benefits, and have adequate health insurance, I am sure you will be welcome.

The Netherlands don't have a retirement visa available for non-EU citizens but we're constantly told by Brexiteers that Brexit won't make any difference to our lives, so lets work on that basis and if we get into difficulty we can blame you and the other Brexiteers.

A possible workaround would be to move to Ireland for 5 years, get Irish citizenship then move on from there.

deltic

Established Member

Any idea how much annual health insurance would cost for say an 80 year old? Cant imagine its less than a few thousand a year

Ken H

On Moderation
Any idea how much annual health insurance would cost for say an 80 year old? Cant imagine its less than a few thousand a year
well you would need it now. you cant use a UK issued ehic if you are not ordinarily resident in the UK. Ok you can come to the UK 2 times a year to get your NHS prescriptions but that is fraud as you are not resident in the UK - a qualifier for NHS care.
yes I know these retired ex=pats have paid NI all their working lives but that is the ehic & NHS regulations

Busaholic

Veteran Member

My in-laws moved from Maidenhead to Alnwick in Northumberland a few years ago and bought a palatial place for much less than their previous modern, cramped town house. Alnwick doesn't have a station, though there are viable plans to re-connect to the East Coast Main Line at Alnmouth, the town centre had neither a charity nor an empty shop the last time I was there, car parking is 70p per hour (where charged at all) and my sister-in-law goes on a weekly bus trip to Newcastle, direct and absolutely free with a pensioner pass. Plenty of trains to Newcastle and Edinburgh, the latter perfectly possible for a day out. Can get rather cold, though!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
This isn’t something I have been giving cursory thought to.

It depends what you want for retirement. E.g. if you want to be near the sea, that’s one set of options; if you want access to countryside, that’s another. And it depends where you might want to visit, eg whether you want access to London for example.

There’s plenty of places that meet your criteria. Dare I say Wolverhampton has good bus services, cheap housing (even in the nice areas) and excellent and quick links to Birmingham. It also has the best railway pub in the country*, the Great Western.

But then there’s plenty of other places to consider. The suburbs of Cardiff are relatively cheap, and as well as the city, and a decent train service to London, Birmingham and Manchester, you are less than an hour from stunning countryside and wonderful coastline.

* my opinion, not fact.

Ken H

On Moderation
My in-laws moved from Maidenhead to Alnwick in Northumberland a few years ago and bought a palatial place for much less than their previous modern, cramped town house. Alnwick doesn't have a station, though there are viable plans to re-connect to the East Coast Main Line at Alnmouth, the town centre had neither a charity nor an empty shop the last time I was there, car parking is 70p per hour (where charged at all) and my sister-in-law goes on a weekly bus trip to Newcastle, direct and absolutely free with a pensioner pass. Plenty of trains to Newcastle and Edinburgh, the latter perfectly possible for a day out. Can get rather cold, though!
Alnwick is lovely. Lived there many moons ago. But you may need an interpreter next time you go!

Basher

Just think, if you need care/expensive health treatment and you are a month of your insurance renew date. What will the insurers do , put the cost up by a massive percentage or turn your renewal application down.

Iskra

Established Member

I would second this. Northumberland is cheap, overlooked and massively under-rated. Perhaps look a bit away from Alnwick though for better prices. A lovely part of the world, lots to take in and some brilliant beaches/landscapes/scenery, but not too isolated from amenities. The cost of living is much cheaper too.

deltic

Established Member
Just think, if you need care/expensive health treatment and you are a month of your insurance renew date. What will the insurers do , put the cost up by a massive percentage or turn your renewal application down.

Precisely - I would imagine as you became older the premiums would become so expensive as to be unaffordable and what happens if you need residential care

radamfi

Established Member
If you are going to go so far north, you might as well go to Scotland where costs are similarly low and you benefit from a better rail network than in northern England, and of course Scotland has the scenery. You also have more affordable social care and free long distance coaches for pensioners.

trash80

Established Member
I quite fancy somewhere up the Derwent Valley, lovely part of the world and close to Derby.

Ken H

On Moderation
but how is that different from now? Most EU countries have an insurance based welfare system, and if you havent paid in, you get nowt. there is no Eu reciprocal deal for people who move between countries. just EHIC for travellers, and that is inadequate as it does not include repatriation of injured people who need an ambulance flight, nor does it pay for repatriation of a body if someone does abroad. Both well into 4 figures.

Which is why ex-pats who get ill generally return to the UK. Like my father in law did.

deltic

Established Member
but how is that different from now? Most EU countries have an insurance based welfare system, and if you havent paid in, you get nowt. there is no Eu reciprocal deal for people who move between countries. just EHIC for travellers, and that is inadequate as it does not include repatriation of injured people who need an ambulance flight, nor does it pay for repatriation of a body if someone does abroad. Both well into 4 figures.

Which is why ex-pats who get ill generally return to the UK. Like my father in law did.

Never looked into the details but the S1 scheme allows individuals from one EU nation to receive ongoing health and social care in another, with the costs of that care met by the state that they would either ordinarily reside in or that provides their exportable benefit such as an old-age pension. 190,000 UK pensioners living elsewhere in the EU or EEA are registered to the scheme, which allows them to access health and social care services in their country of residence, but with funding provided by the UK government. So as I understand it there is no requirement to take additional medical cover at present unless you dont feel comfortable with the basic health provision in the EU country which you reside.

Bevan Price

Established Member
If you have good neighbours, and local friends, think twice about moving - and then think again. Quite a lot of people think it would be a good idea to move when they retire -- and then find they regret it - no nearby friends or relatives, neighbours not hostile but not particularly friendly etc.

If you still want to move, there is plenty of choice, but be aware that bus services in many areas are being slowly but steadily pruned. If you want to ensure bus services lasting almost "forever", you probably need to live on, or close to an existing route that is still fairly frequent. Provided you avoid most of the south east, and "touristy" locations, you should be able to find many towns / cities with some pleasant suburbs that meet your requirements.

Belperpete

Established Member
I quite fancy somewhere up the Derwent Valley, lovely part of the world and close to Derby.
You beat me to it. The Matlock line takes you straight through to both Derby and Nottingham without changing. Derby has excellent rail connections to most parts of the country, Nottingham is good for shopping. Reasonable bus services. On the edge of the peak district you have excellent scenery close at hand. House prices are quite cheap, certainly compared to the SE. The only thing you are missing really is the seaside, but then Matlock has the feel of your typical British seaside town, just without the sea!

One other thing you may want to consider when retiring is how good the health services are in the area you intend retiring to, as you are more likely to need them the older you get.

But I do agree with Bevan, do think hard about retiring to somewhere where you know nobody. When you are working, it is easy to ask your new colleagues questions like "where is the best place for....". Once you're retired, you're on your own.

Basher

Don't tell everyone Northumberland is great, they all might decide to move there. Northumberland is a great county, empty, beaches BUT cold.
Buy a caravan and go hippy 6 months of the year, and see all of Britain.

cactustwirly

Established Member

Look no further than the East Midlands, Market Harborough is nice, and you're on the MML with services to London, Leicester & Nottingham!

trash80

Established Member
You beat me to it. The Matlock line takes you straight through to both Derby and Nottingham without changing. Derby has excellent rail connections to most parts of the country, Nottingham is good for shopping. Reasonable bus services. On the edge of the peak district you have excellent scenery close at hand. House prices are quite cheap, certainly compared to the SE. The only thing you are missing really is the seaside, but then Matlock has the feel of your typical British seaside town, just without the sea!

Yes little house in Ambergate perhaps, nice walk along the Cromford every morning before breakfast, hmm bring on retirement.

UP13

Unless childcare costs go down, I'll need to stay near my children and provide free childcare for my grandchildren...

greyman42

Established Member
If you are going to go so far north, you might as well go to Scotland where costs are similarly low and you benefit from a better rail network than in northern England, and of course Scotland has the scenery. You also have more affordable social care and free long distance coaches for pensioners.
I agree with everything you say but take into account that there will be much more rain and cooler summers than you are used to in the South east.

radamfi

Established Member
I agree with everything you say but take into account that there will be much more rain and cooler summers than you are used to in the South east.

Some parts of Scotland are quite dry, but the drier parts of Scotland are cooler than the wetter parts. Edinburgh and Inverness receive less rainfall than Brighton. I work in London and find the summers too hot. Average high in January in Brighton is only 1 degree higher than in Edinburgh.

PeterC

Established Member
If you have good neighbours, and local friends, think twice about moving - and then think again. Quite a lot of people think it would be a good idea to move when they retire -- and then find they regret it - no nearby friends or relatives, neighbours not hostile but not particularly friendly etc.

If you still want to move, there is plenty of choice, but be aware that bus services in many areas are being slowly but steadily pruned. If you want to ensure bus services lasting almost "forever", you probably need to live on, or close to an existing route that is still fairly frequent. Provided you avoid most of the south east, and "touristy" locations, you should be able to find many towns / cities with some pleasant suburbs that meet your requirements.
I will second that. I have heard of more than one couple moving away on retirement and moving back a year or two later.

Also be within easy walking distance of shops (plural). Where I live the village shop has closed and the once half hourly bus service is now down to five times a day and will probably be cut again next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.