• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where to tap in at Farringdon when changing from Thameslink to Elizabeth Line?

SarahFri

Hi, I'm coming into Farringdon on a southbound Thameslink train, and would like to transfer to the Elizabeth Line. When I tried this before, I was unable to find a place to tap-in to get the contactless TfL fare at the Thameslink platform level. I found a lift going down to the Elizabeth line, but then there were no tap-in places down there, and the staff said I had to go up the escalators to the higher level to tap in, and then come back down. I'm sure there must be a better way to do this. I have a fair bit of luggage so prefer to use the lifts if possible. Is there somewhere I can tap in before I get in the lift? I want to go to Heathrow and then come back into central London and use the tube off and on for the rest of the day, including the Elizabeth line back to Heathrow in the end, so I assumed that contactless would be the best way to get a daily capped fare? I have already bought my rail tickets only as far as Farringdon. Thanks for the advice.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I think there's some sort of card reader between the southbound T/L and the (adjacent) westbound Underground platform. If that counts as a way of tapping in (as opposed to for tapping out when leaving the Underground for T/L), then that could be used before going further along the platform to take the lift down for the Heathrow train.

Completely forgot about those ones. Yes, by the stairs connecting TL to LU just to the left of the lifts has a reader that works.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you're using contactless or Oyster to get from your starting station to Farringdon then there's no need to tap at Farringdon at all.

I think there's some sort of card reader between the southbound T/L and the (adjacent) westbound Underground platform. If that counts as a way of tapping in (as opposed to for tapping out when leaving the Underground for T/L), then that could be used before going further along the platform to take the lift down for the Heathrow train.
There are several card readers between the southbound Thameslink and the westbound Underground platform. Head for the short set of steps between the Thameslink platform and the Underground platformat the south end of a Thameslink train (probably 2 or 3 carriages from the front of the train). There's a card reader at the top of the steps.