Which is the busiest train you have ever been on?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning & Reports' started by JDi, 11 Nov 2017.

1. Bevan Price

Bevan Price Established Member

In terms of passenger numbers - probably a Class 87-hauled Liverpool - Euston service (9 coaches I think.). First Sunday departure from Liverpool, and there had been some big event in Liverpool on the Saturday night. Totally wedged, doors locked 10-15 minutes before departure, and lots of people left behind.

In terms of percentage loading - several occurrences with 153s, e.g. Crewe - Derby when there was an open day at Toton; Derby - Crewe on Uttoxeter raceday, a single 153 on a summer saturday Manchester - Llandudno service......

2. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

Unreserved second class from Agra to Delhi.

No train I have *ever* been on in the UK, however bad the disruption was, was anywhere near as bad as that. Take your typical rush hour GWR Turbo and then double the number of people on board and you're about there. (Oh, and increase the temperature by 20 degrees or so - OK, Class 166 aircon doesn't work, but it's *nothing* on June in India).

And unlike said GWR commuters, not one of the passengers was whining.

Sometimes, much as TOCs can be validly criticised for all sorts of things, we don't know we're born.

3. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Probably a 2 car 158 on a Birmingham to Holyhead service this summer, on the same day as the races at Chester. The train was so busy that people were left behind at Ruabon and Chirk.

4. cambsy

cambsy Member

Only time I get crush loaded generally is on the tube at peak time, had a GWR HST on a diversion, when they ran via Oxford and Banbury, full and standing from Oxford to London, about 100 mins, been on a few busy Cross Country voyagers which been rammed during journey, though I tend to be good at finding seats, always someone doesn’t turn up for their seat, never stood too long.

5. Kite159

Kite159 Established Member

One of the busiest I've seen was last year in Liverpool (end of November) where the previous LM got cancelled, so you had 2 lots of passengers heading back from Christmas shopping crush loaded onto a single 350, the doors were closed a good 5+ minutes before departure as there was physically no more space, looked like even in the 1st class area.
    ---
    Another crush-loaded service was a 159 working the 22:20 Waterloo - Salisbury service on a Saturday night when engineering works meant fewer trains were departing Waterloo, add on something going wrong around Winchester, meaning a Portsmouth Harbour service & a Poole were cancelled, meant the single 159 was a tad cosier than usual on departure from Waterloo.

6. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

Up to 21/22 passengers standing in the large vestibule (as pdeaves also relates above), or up to 14 in the small one, on a Voyager out of Birmingham is the maximum I have to endure on my normal evening commute home these days. A worse experience in similar conditions was travelling back the day after a gig in Banbury with a hangover in the middle of the snow disruption in December 2010, where the first train I'd boarded (a 2-car Chiltern 165) had struggled as far as Leamington Spa, where we were turfed off and onto the following packed Voyager into Birmingham, as I anxiously watched my previously ample one hour connection time into my next train from New Street disappear into the ether (made it with about ten minutes to spare, as I recall).

I've been on a Pacer sufficiently overloaded with standees that it simply ground to a halt and stuck while attempting to negotiate the Gateshead curve: The resigned tone of the guard as he relayed over the PA the nature of our predicament, and the drivers dexterous control of the power handle as he attempted to nurse our stricken beast around the curve, suggests that this was not an isolated incident. Elsewhere in Northernland, the last train out of Manchester back to Macclesfield on a Friday or Saturday night is often heaving to the gunwhales with as many standing passengers as you can accommodate in the vestibules and down the aisles of a capacious 323 unit, and "ample liquid refreshment" is essentially compulsory. :D

Speaking of which, I've been extremely glad that I haven't been travelling on some evening Transpennine services northbound out of York towards Middlesbrough that I've witnessed with some truly nightmarish loadings on, including some distinctly agitated (and definitely intoxicated) passengers, where crowd control barriers have been employed simply to keep the crowds from spilling over the platform edges before they board.

Overall, though, I tend to avoid the worst overcrowding, as where possible I will wait for a following train if the one presented before me looks too busy: Not always an option, though, if my journey is time critical and the service is only hourly, or its' the last train of the night.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2017
  7. Bletchleyite

Bletchleyite Veteran Member

One thing that could be done for far less money than a load of new rolling stock is to put loadings on the journey planner. Some TOCs do posters, but it'd be better if it was searchable, e.g. "don't show me trains where I am likely to have to stand".

SBB do it, why not us?

8. sprinterguy

sprinterguy Established Member

You'd certainly think it'd be a straightforward and eminently practical step to take to genuinely improve customer service. Especially given that we're moving towards a point where it's almost possible to show individual train loadings (or at the very least, proportion of reserved seats per carriage as Virgin do) in real time.

9. mrcheek

mrcheek Member

Nobody ever travels on trains from Fishguard Harbour to Cardiff. Unless of course Ireland are playing away at the Principality Stadium the next day.
    I happened to make that very journey on the day before a rugby World Cup game in 2007. A train that was normally empty was full to the brim. But in spite of the crush, nobody complained, everyone was in good spirits. Rugby fans are class.

10. roversfan2001

roversfan2001 Member

A 158 from Blackburn to Preston after Man Utd had beaten Blackburn in the FA Cup last season, upwards of 20 people in the vestibule. Not helped by the fact someone pulled the passcomm so it was an hour between me boarding at Blackburn and alighting at Preston.

11. Immby

Immby Member

Most frequently crush loaded has to be 19.15 from Paddington. Have sat between the seat backs (between two sets of 4) on 1915 Paddington to Swansea on a Thursday on several occasions - particularly if there have been disruptions.