• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which new rolling stock are you most looking forward to travel on (2022 and beyond)?

The train you most look forward to travel on (2022 and beyond)

• Merseyrail Class 777

Votes: 51 12.8%
  • EMR Class 810

Votes: 54 13.6%
  • Alstom-Hitachi train (HS2)

Votes: 50 12.6%
  • WMT/LNWR/C2C Aventras

Votes: 17 4.3%
  • TfW Class 197/230/FLIRTS

Votes: 47 11.8%
  • Avanti Class 805/807

Votes: 32 8.0%
  • Siemans Piccadilly Line

Votes: 54 13.6%
  • Tyne & Wear Class 555

Votes: 22 5.5%
  • Glasgow FLIRTS subway

Votes: 18 4.5%
  • Any train fitted with Batteries or Hydrogen

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • None of the above, Older stocks are king!

Votes: 42 10.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

spotify95

I don't really "get" the love for the HSTs. They may have been revolutionary when built (though I'm starting to think that even that's a stretch), but by modern standards they are pretty mediocre. They are also, as mentioned previously, more than 40 years old now, and it shows, especially in less heavily refurbished examples.

Well, the HST seats especially the 1st class ones!) were pretty durable and comfortable (certainly the original EMT ones on the MML), whereas the same cannot be said for either the 360s (seats too small due to 3+2) or the 222s (not as comfortable, but also becoming threadbare!) that replaced them.
The 360s are also not 125 rated (they're only 110 rated) and don't actually go to where a lot of people need them to go, which is north to Leicester and beyond. The 222s are not long enough (only 5 coaches) and also have a design flaw that prohits any type of RF signal from entering the carriage.
That latter point on its own is enough to make a HST (or 360, or any other rolling stock that doesn't have that problem) beat the 222s that we currently have - hence the vote for the HST!

I agree about FM signals, I haven’t been able to use my little FM or DAB radio on most trains for a long time. Good old fashioned wooden carriages with single glazing that had the sliding window opening at the top. I could listen to Terry Wogan on those, but it was bloody freezing

Seriously though, I have listened to streaming audio (4G) all the way from York to Birmingham with the only break being a couple of minutes just after leaving Tamworth. I was absolutely amazed when it worked so well, even around Chesterfield and the Peak District! Like you I thought the Voyagers were little faraday cages… apparently not as bad as I first suspected.

Or, maybe it’s something in the condensation and filth inside the increasing number of failed sealed double glazing units that blocks the signals these days!

The new trains I’m looking forward to the most are the newly refurbished and lengthened Voyagers with clean windows and seats (but not new seats as they are pretty comfortable by todays standards), working lighting that isn’t a mish mash of different coloured fluorescent tubes that happened to be lying around the depot (including working individual reading lights), working and readable seat reservation system and stop those bloody vestibule doors from closing when you’re trying to get your bag through them. Who’s idea was it to put those on a timer and not use a pressure pad to detect when the door needs to be open, they’re a nightmare. Saw somebody’s dog stuck in there once. Apart from that, they give a nice comfortable ride.

I know that won’t happen and I’m pretty sure there aren’t any new trains due for a very long timer in my part of the world!
The vestibule doors on the old EMR HSTs actually worked better since they actually detected when you were close to one, and opened automatically. No need for any push buttons or getting stuck!

And as for the lighting, I've seen a few 222s that have had mismatched lighting. Though seriously, someone didn't think the 222s through when it comes to lighting. they have small fluorescent fixtures at various points along the overhead racks, which some either (a) don't work at all or (b) are mismatched color temperatures, and the main row of lights down the gangway are halogen capsules - not good for energy use or lifespan!
The 222s need a whole redesign IMO, to be more modern and more functional.

Having said that, the interiors of the 360s aren't much better, also having failed or mismatched fluorescent tubes! Fit the whole lot out with LEDs!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.