• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which new rolling stock are you most looking forward to travel on (2022 and beyond)?

The train you most look forward to travel on (2022 and beyond)

• Merseyrail Class 777

Votes: 51 12.8%
  • EMR Class 810

Votes: 54 13.6%
  • Alstom-Hitachi train (HS2)

Votes: 50 12.6%
  • WMT/LNWR/C2C Aventras

Votes: 17 4.3%
  • TfW Class 197/230/FLIRTS

Votes: 47 11.8%
  • Avanti Class 805/807

Votes: 32 8.0%
  • Siemans Piccadilly Line

Votes: 54 13.6%
  • Tyne & Wear Class 555

Votes: 22 5.5%
  • Glasgow FLIRTS subway

Votes: 18 4.5%
  • Any train fitted with Batteries or Hydrogen

Votes: 11 2.8%
  • None of the above, Older stocks are king!

Votes: 42 10.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prestige15

On Moderation
Done this in the past but since now we have more new vehicles on the horizon, Which is the most your looking forward to travel on?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Merseyrail Class 777 since they run on my local line, although I have already been on one so I don’t know if it counts.

bramling

Veteran Member
Done this in the past but since now we have more new vehicles on the horizon, Which is the most your looking forward to travel on?

Have to admit I’ve voted “none of the above”. Most new trains in recent years have turned out to be rather disappointing, so I’d be tempted to go with a “better the devil you know” attitude. I say that from a user perspective not an enthusiast one.

To pick just one example, the new Tyne & Wear Metro fleet ought to be keenly anticipated from a reliability uplift point of view, but the longitudinal seating is a serious turn-off for me.

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
Look forward to them all. When do you reckon will be class that will come into service soonest?

DannyMich2018

Look forward to them all. When do you reckon will be class that will come into service soonest?
Of the above I'd assume either the TFW 197 or 230s. 230s have been training/testing since mid 2020 so should be soon. 197s also doing well so should be not too far behind.

Non Multi

Traveling on the battery train on trial on the Greenford branch after April (supposedly).

Maybe the 769s on the GW branches later in the year (or maybe they'll suffer the same fate as the SWR 442s if they aren't reliable enough).

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
The trains than run on the subways in Newcastle, Gateshead and Sunderland are awesome at the moment in that you can sit at the front of the train, best views ever! The new stock however looks to be a step backwards for the passenger.

I do love the sounds of the new Merseyrail 777 stock, heard that they could allow trains to run through Ormskirk in the future, the insides have plenty of open space, good design and style.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The trains than run on the subways in Newcastle, Gateshead and Sunderland are awesome at the moment in that you can sit at the front of the train, best views ever! The new stock however looks to be a step backwards for the passenger.

I do love the sounds of the new Merseyrail 777 stock, heard that they could allow trains to run through Ormskirk in the future, the insides have plenty of open space, good design and style.

Although I believe the area at the front of the Tyne & Wear Metro stock has been out of use for passengers since Covid hit, similar to the DLR. So that novelty of sitting at the front has already gone.

----

The replacement Piccadilly line units for me.

DanNCL

Established Member
Just as a note, the Stadler fleet for the Glasgow Subway are from the ‘METRO’ family (same as the Merseyrail and Tyne & Wear fleets) rather than from the ‘FLIRT’ family.

Although I believe the area at the front of the Tyne & Wear Metro stock has been out of use for passengers since Covid hit, similar to the DLR. So that novelty of sitting at the front has already gone.
The large “driver under instruction” dividers that blocked off everything infront of the first set of doors and behind the rear set of doors has now gone. In its place is a waist height flimsy door like thing hindering access to the front seat but still allowing use of the other seats between the front and the first set of doors. From the seats immediately behind the front seats you can still see out of the front almost as well as you could from the proper front seat. On the rear unit it’s not uncommon for people to push past the flimsy door thing and sit in the back seat anyway!

The new units were supposed to have the footage from the front facing camera played live on a screen on the cab partition wall, however the latest renders show those screens missing.

Regarding being a step back for passengers, that very much depends on journey type and passenger needs. For people making longer journeys they most certainly will be a downgrade compared to the current fleet. But for short hops through Newcastle City Centre on a crowded service, or for anyone in a wheelchair or with a pushchair/pram or bicycle, the new fleet will be a significant improvement over the current offer.

bramling

Veteran Member

The front seats are out of use, however the bay of facing seats immediately behind remains available, so the forward view isn’t entirely missing. The front seats are certainly popular, but I can understand the need for a proper cab.

spotify95

EMR Class 810 for a start. Would finally mean the wretched 222's can go somewhere else - they're already starting to look a bit tired on the inside!

AlbertBeale

Established Member
I just want something/anything on Thameslink with usable seats (and seats matching windows). But I doubt it'll happen...

Prestige15

On Moderation
I would say any of the Tfw stocks. I wont be suprise if they entered service before the Aventras concidering they have existed longer than Tfw stocks

QSK19

Avanti 80x, as I want to see what I think of one without the awful Fainsa Sophia, and Lumo isn't much use to me.
And the 810s will have the modified LEAN seat, of course. There’s been a lot of hype about this seat - let’s hope it lives up to expectations!

AM9

Veteran Member
I just want something/anything on Thameslink with usable seats (and seats matching windows). But I doubt it'll happen...
I know that the 700s have a number of detractors mainly citing their seat preferences, but the windows are about as good as they can be, given the need to accommodate door pockets.

I voted the Siemens deep tube design. It's the first through gangway design for the deep tube, it has a form of articulation not seen here before and as it's Siemens, it will probably have less delays due to technical issues.

Last edited:

Roger100

Here on the Durham Coast the 'new' trains that have replaced our Pacers are the marginally younger 156 Sprinters. If we are lucky we get a 30 year-old 158. I suppose these will remain in service until declared illegal or until the line get closed.

Bessie

When have new trains been better than the old trains they replace? On my line I don’t see 701s as an upgrade to 458s. IETs were not better than HSTs. I do think 387s are better than 165/166 units. All comes down to seat comfort. Yes that old chestnut again!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Avanti 80x, as I want to see what I think of one without the awful Fainsa Sophia, and Lumo isn't much use to me.
And whether the revised WCML non-tilt speed profile will allow them to meet current Voyager journey times.
That's if the Avanti Chester/North Wales service ever returns to "normal".

CAF 196/197, hoping to put to bed the endless debate on their interiors and door setup.
Merseyrail 777 as they are likely to be the start of most of my journeys.
WMT's Aventras - will they really be better than the Desiros they replace?
And Crossrail.

AM9

Veteran Member
And whether the revised WCML non-tilt speed profile will allow them to meet current Voyager journey times.
That's if the Avanti Chester/North Wales service ever returns to "normal".

CAF 196/197, hoping to put to bed the endless debate on their interiors and door setup.
Merseyrail 777 as they are likely to be the start of most of my journeys.
WMT's Aventras - will they really be better than the Desiros they replace?
And Crossrail.
I agree with re the potentially troublsome Aventras that are replacing 350s, but Crossrail is new in the context of a line, but the largely snagged 345s are certainly be better than the 315s and I suspect a lot better then the 165/166s although there are bound to be some who like the Networker seating more than that in the Crossrail stock.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I agree with re the potentially troublsome Aventras that are replacing 350s, but Crossrail is new in the context of a line, but the largely snagged 345s are certainly be better than the 315s and I suspect a lot better then the 165/166s although there are bound to be some who like the Networker seating more than that in the Crossrail stock.

The Aventras will be useful in allowing another formation length (120m), but won't be better than the 350s, no. It's hard to beat the 350s for what they do, they are extremely reliable and very popular with passengers and are the right length to offer flexibility of formation. There is really very little wrong with them at all, bar the price the leaseco wanted for the /2s which led to the whole thing, and the sham First Class which really could be better.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
When have new trains been better than the old trains they replace? On my line I don’t see 701s as an upgrade to 458s. IETs were not better than HSTs. I do think 387s are better than 165/166 units. All comes down to seat comfort. Yes that old chestnut again!
It’s very very subjective. You can’t just state that IETs are not better than HSTs as fact. I personally disagree and I know many others do too. To answer your question, I believe Class 397s were a great deal nicer than the Class 350s they replaced, and I believe 700s and 717s to be much nicer that 313s and 319s. I prefer 385s to 314s; I prefer 195s and 331s to 150s, 158s and 32x…

But it’s subjective, as I say.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Class 68s and Mark 5as replacing DMUs.

Otherwise, yes, everything tends to be a downgrade.

I personally consider a double 185 an upgrade over the Mk5as other than in First Class. Better seats, good window alignment and more capacity.

The Mk5as could have been better (like the 397s) but were not.

387star

On Moderation
Can someone remind us what seats each of the new stock will have. I know swr 701s will have contoured ironing boards.

CBlue

Class 68s and Mark 5as replacing DMUs.

Otherwise, yes, everything tends to be a downgrade.

Ah yes, the comfortable air conditioned EMU stock that has no issues with timekeeping is such a downgrade compared to the worn out and shonky Mk3/Class 90 LHCS they replaced..I don't miss having to put up with those wrecks and I doubt the majority of other passengers do either.

Outside of an "enthusiast" perspective, I'm also quite glad to see the 1980s era relics on my local line finally go and be replaced by nice clean new stock. There's only so much refurbs and rebuilds can hide!

Status
Not open for further replies.