• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which new stock made the biggest change to Rail in the 2010s

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigB

Having seen other best of lists coming up, what stock changes do you believe have made the biggest change to the railways in 2010 - this may include passenger experience, reliability etc. etc.

Off the top of my head the entire IEP programme has made huge changes allowing timetables to be recast, the underground S7 and S8 stock has made the tube feel safer and reduced crowding to an extent, and 385s have allowed an increase to 8 car for Edinburgh - Glasgow services. Introduction of Mk5 sleepers maybe not so positive (yet).

But what do you guys think? I'm interested in what the change was, and what the benefit/issue was - if you know how that was achieved that would be even better!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mills444

I would say the Desiro city and most if not all of the Adventura stock i.e 345's.

Benefits included more space overall not necessarily seats but very good in peak times as you can at least get on.

Camden

Established Member
Joint winners:

TPE's 397/802/5a

So far, they have truly transformed the passenger experience beyond any recognition.

Before last month I would have said Northerns 195s had the most dramatic impact, but TPE really have set a new standard that few would have thought possible.

Kite159

Veteran Member
700s & 345s, mainly for their ability to soak up passengers during peak time.

You might not be able to get a seat, but you will be able to board, and having been at Stratford a few times during the "high peak" I've seen the 345s soaking up a lot of passengers whereas the 315s before would have been leaving passengers behind

hexagon789

Veteran Member
80x as they lead to a huge phase-out of BR-era InterCity stock which had been the backbone of long-distance travel for decades.

xotGD

Established Member
Mark 5s: Showing that loco-hauled trains have a future when everything else is being replaced with plastic.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Mark 5s: Showing that loco-hauled trains have a future when everything else is being replaced with plastic.

There’s as much plastic on the new CAF mk5s as the new CAF EMUs so I don’t get your point about being “replaced by plastic”

I do agree it’s nice to see loco hauled trains have a future however.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
There’s as much plastic on the new CAF mk5s as the new CAF EMUs so I don’t get your point about being “replaced by plastic”

Just seems to be the often trotted-out derogatory term for anything that isn't a loco+coaching stock

Established Member
The 700s with their superior acceleration, capacity and their ability to hoover up a very crowded platform one after another with ease. It allowed Thameslink to introduce new routes, more frequent services and improve capacity across London and the South East. The PIS system on board was also the first of its kind (now replicated in newer trains) which is appropriately filled with well-balanced and relevant information. Brilliant pieces of engineering they are.

On Moderation
Underground S stock - bringing air conditioning to the Underground for the first time, which represents a major step-change in passenger facilities on the Underground. Nothing else has been so transformative, although the Stadler FLIRTs replacing 153/156 sets might have a case.

AM9

Veteran Member
Another one here for the 345/700 success in proving that rail is the best way to move large numbers of people safely. On the other side of the coin, Northern's class 195 is most likely to be the last type of diesel mechanical multiple units allowed in the UK. That just shows that there are still dinosaurs (and ostriches) making decisions on transport other than roads.

On Moderation
Another one here for the 345/700 success in proving that rail is the best way to move large numbers of people safely. On the other side of the coin, Northern's class 195 is most likely to be the last type of diesel mechanical multiple units allowed in the UK. That just shows that there are still dinosaurs (and ostriches) making decisions on transport other than roads.
I don't think anyone could yet claim Class 345 as a success.

mmh

Established Member

Oh, there are enough ostriches and dinosaurs when it comes to roads too. See the continuing obsession with "smart" motorways and the Welsh Government's refusal to do anything about the M4.

js1000

I'm sure there new units which offer superior performance and open up new route/service frequency possibilities in and around London.

But I think the 195/331s for Northern stand out in relative terms. They are a complete step change for the franchise and were long overdue. They've gone from a Vauxhall Nova in the Pacers to a BMW saloon. It's just a shame the franchise has been such a let down.

Honourable mentions for Azumas on LNER and TPEs new rolling stock also. We had 3 genuine long distance inter-city franchises prior to 2019 with Virgin Trains, LNER and CrossCountry. TPE's new trains make that 4 now.

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
700s and 800s. They allowed big cascades of stock to other routes too.
387s were pretty important for several TOCs, and rescued Thameslink at a crucial time.
Electrification, though cut short, was also transformative for GW, NW and Scotland Central Belt (385s).
Crossrail and its 345s should be in there too, but were too late to make the decade.
Siemens Velaros on Eurostar.
CAF/Stadler/Vivarail/Aventra have still to prove themselves.

AM9

Veteran Member
Oh, there are enough ostriches and dinosaurs when it comes to roads too. See the continuing obsession with "smart" motorways and the Welsh Government's refusal to do anything about the M4.
Can't comment on the M4 in Wales but agree that smart motorways destroy the thing that makes them safe, i.e. a guaranteed refuge in the hard shoulder.

BigB

700s and 800s. They allowed big cascades of stock to other routes too.
387s were pretty important for several TOCs, and rescued Thameslink at a crucial time.
Electrification, though cut short, was also transformative for GW, NW and Scotland Central Belt (385s).
Crossrail and its 345s should be in there too, but were too late to make the decade.
Siemens Velaros on Eurostar.
CAF/Stadler/Vivarail/Aventra have still to prove themselves.

It's good that so many additions are seen as offering benefits - it's sometimes easy to forget on this forum that occasionally the transport planners may have some idea on what they are doing, despite the best efforts of the accountants...
I'd forgotten about the 387s - in my limited experience they have transformed travel to West London as well with many services now 4 car minimum and a 2 car DMU is less likely to turn up in the peak.
Closer to home the 380s were introduced in December 2010 and made a huge difference to the west of Scotland fleet, allowing cascades of 334s for the Airdrie - Bathgate reopening and utilising the electrified North Berwick line which since the 322s went south had been 170s. It was almost back to the BR days when there was logic in cascading stock, not just taking from one franchise before the replacements were in place as occasionally happens now. It also allowed the withdrawal - once all replacements were in place - of the aging 314 fleet, and backfilled for 385s on the Edinburgh-Glasgow services once the wires were up but no 385s accepted. With a bit of help from the 365s of course!

Speaking of PEP withdrawals - how have the 717s been received on the Moorgate line service? Obviously there is now a longer "minimum" length train but have there's been benefits in dwell time or maintenance now they have settled in a bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.