• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which spilt up train service would you most like to see reinstated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pemma

Veteran Member
The options I can think of are as below, but feel free to add your own.

1. Liverpool Lime Street to Stansted Airport.
2. Buxton to Blackpool North.
3. Liverpool Lime Street to Sunderland via York and Newcastle
4. Glasgow to Bristol via Preston and Birmingham New St.
5. Manchester Airport to Skegness via Crewe and Derby
6. Liverpool Lime Street to Cardiff
7. Scarborough to Holyhead.
8. Manchester Airport to Liverpool via Warrington Central.
9. Manchester Victoria to Wakefield Westgate via Huddersfield.
10. Huddersfield to Lincoln via Sheffield.
11. Manchester Piccadilly to Bridlington/Beverley via Hull.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MCR247

Established Member
Crewe - Skeggy
Birmingham - Leicester - Lincoln
CrossCountry routes via WCML aswell as ECML lie it was when it was VT

Aictos

Established Member
Great Yarmouth to Newcastle.
Peterborough to Doncaster via Lincoln Central.
Kings Cross to Peterborough via Hertford North (used to run non stop to Hertford North then Stevenage and all stations onwards.
Kings Cross Sleepers.
Cross Country before Operation Princess.

Helvellyn

Established Member
Cornish Scot - Glasgow to Penzance
Devon Scot - Glasgow to Plymouth
Wessex Scot - Glasgow to Poole
Sussex Scot - Glasgow to Brighton
The Clansman - Euston to Inverness

All services via the WCML

CJ

I would like to see these services reinstated:

Manchester Airport - Skegness (via Crewe and Derby)
Manchester Airport - London Euston (via Alderley Edge and WCML)
Manchester Piccadilly - London St. Pancras (via Stockport and Leicester).

pemma

Veteran Member
I would like to see these services reinstated:
Manchester Airport - London Euston (via Alderley Edge and WCML)

Do you mean like the former North Western Trains route via The Trent Valley or the existing hourly Virgin Trains Manchester-Wilmslow-London service with an extra stop at Alderley Edge?

Rebus

Bath Green Park to Bournemouth West via the old Somerset & Dorset would be nice! :D

Ilove165's

The old GCR before the Beeching cuts...it would make getting to Manchester a whole lot easier for me!

Pumbaa

Established Member
8. Manchester Airport to Liverpool via Warrington Central.

Doesn't this already exist? I'd dearly love for Liverpool to be reinstated on the XC network; going both South-West, South and East.

ashworth

Established Member
These are not all complete reinstatements as some are partial reinstaements along with a few new ideas to improve longer distance travel from Nottingham and the East Midlands.

1. Nottingham-Leeds-Carlisle-Glasgow
2. Nottingham-Derby-Crewe
3. Cleethorpes-Lincoln-Nottingham-Birmingham (via Leicester or Derby)
4. Cambridge-Peterborough-Nottingham-Sheffield-Manchester-Blackpool
5. Nottingham-Mansfield-Worksop-Sheffield
6. Sheffield-Retford-Brigg-Cleethorpes
7. Skegness-Sleaford-Lincoln-Worksop-Sheffield-Manchester
8. Peterborough-Lincoln-Doncaster

Sir_Clagalot

When I was route learning Doncaster-Lincoln-Peterborough there was one 'through' train a day, run by EMT. Usually, what happens is you get to Lincoln from Doncaster just after a train has left for Peterborough, meaning a wait of nearly an hour!! Don't think it's much better the other way!

Bittern

Established Member
Glasgow Central - London Euston calling at Motherwell would be one I'd really like to see return! Pendolinos calling at Motherwell = goodness!

Edinburgh Waverley to London Euston is another. Simply put, the more Pendolinos in Scotland, the better!

CJ

Do you mean like the former North Western Trains route via The Trent Valley or the existing hourly Virgin Trains Manchester-Wilmslow-London service with an extra stop at Alderley Edge?

Yup, the former North Western Trains route which used class 322s.

Speaking of which, whats happening with them? I heard that they'll be off-lease once the class 380s start running.

Drsatan

Established Member
Reading - Brighton via Basingstoke, Eastleigh, Fareham and Havant
Southampton-Swindon (I know there are only two trains a day in each direction through Melksham at stupid hours but ideally there'd be a proper service of 6-7 trains each way per day)
Waterloo-Exeter services west of Exeter (from 10 December SWT services to Paignton & Plymouth will terminate at Exeter<()
XC services from Poole to Glasgow, Liverpool, York, Newcastle and Edinburgh. Brighton and Portsmouth should also be reinstated on the XC map

Established Member
Would be good if TPE put on direct Newcastle - Liverpool services like Northern Spirit did (they do one in the morning but at a stupidly early time). Not sure if it would be practical to send it to Sunderland, just get them to jump on the Metro instead.

Birmingham - Perth

Years ago, before the current ECML London - Inverness service, it used to run Euston - Birmingham - Wolverhampton - Crewe - Preston - Carlisle - Motherwell - Coatbridge - Stirling - Perth - Inverness. It later got rerouted via Edinburgh, then it became what it is today.
In my view, there should be a regular service on the Stirling - Cumbernauld - Coatbridge - Motherwell as there used to be years ago.

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Didn; there used to be two through trains to inverness, one via the ECML and one via the WCML? the one via the West midloands was called the Clansman IIRC. I'll have to dg out my 1987-1988 timetable to check!

SWT Driver

Portsmouth - Manchester
Portsmouth - Liverpool
Portsmouth - Blackpool
Portsmouth - Leeds/York.

Brighton - Glasgow
Brighton - Manchester.

Weymouth - Manchester?

Still we all know that none of the above will ever get reinstated because we've got a bunch of incompetent, inept & generally pig ignorant assholes running DfT.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Most of these routes were cut for very good reasons, and in a lot of cases were just a lot of local journeys tagged together (that still exist for the local journeys). Manchester Airport to Skeg via Crewe, for example...

However,I think there's definately demand for services like Liverpool to Holyhead/ Cardiff or Reading to Portsmouth/ Brighton.

Plenty "interesting" routes that have been withdrawn over the years, like Norwich/ Ipswich to Basingstoke, or Manchester to London Paddington/ Waterloo, but no great loss in the grand scheme of things.

SWT Driver

That Anglia Xlink thing was a right pain in the arse for us, always running late, invariably empty too a complete waste of time and money.

If they want to create a useful service & take the strain off of the underground, then why not run a service from the Clapham Junction (W) side onto the WLL & NLL straight into St Pancras, FCC could route one around via Loughboro' Junction to Waterloo via the former international flyover.

Both of these would takeaway all the hassle for those passengers crossing London to St Pancras/Kings Cross with suitcases/luggage in two easy moves & avoiding the crowded underground or expensive taxi.

Whilst it's not going to be the quickest route, it's the convenience factor that matters.

Still not allowed to use common sense anymore are we? :roll:

ivanhoe

Certainly through trains from Loughborough to Birmingham (I think it was Lincoln to Birmingham via Nottingham and Leicester)
Liverpool to North Wales Coast and Cardiff. Often wondered why they dont re-route some of the Manchester to Llandudno trains to Liverpool, even better if the Halton Curve was back in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.