• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which stations are either side of the Lickey incline?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nash

Not disused stations either, I am catching a train from possibly Cardiff or Bristol to Birmingham, do the routes go up the incline ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wyvern

Established Member
Yes

The Lickey is on what was the Birmingham and Gloucester Railway.

bnm

Established Member
Bromsgrove up to Barnt Green. All CrossCountry services from either Cardiff and Bristol travel over the Lickey.

scotsman

Established Member
I was at my cousin's place in Bromsgrove in the summer, about 1.5miles from Lickey. I could hear the Turbostars struggling up it!

Need to try it some time, sounds more intense than Drumochter!

daikilo

Established Member
Thanks for the help.

Nash, I'd select an HST as it has drop downs windows at the end of the cars. The sound of any engine at full bore on a 1:37 is impressive. Too bad the Valentas are gone. Try typing "lickey" in Youtube.

Crossover

Established Member
I went on a 170 a couple of months ago up the Lickey - been wanting to do it for a while. It didn't seem to struggle too much but it does feel like quite a gradient!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Having done it uphill on HSTs several times when they were used by XC, I would say... they still get slowed down, but not as much as loco hauled services used to. You don't really notice the incline in an HST until you're ½ way up it!

sprinterguy

Established Member
The Lickey doesn’t seem to phase the Crosscountry HSTs, Voyagers and 170s much, they get a good run up at it as they’ll have been running at line speed for a good few miles beforehand, but for the LM 170 services that stop at Bromsgrove before the ascent, you can tell there’s a struggle getting up speed on the climb. I’ve been over the Lickey on a 153+170 combination: That was slow: After the Bromsgrove stop, it seemed to take an age to get above walking pace and sounded like a colossal effort: You could tell when we were finally over the top of the gradient!

Status
Not open for further replies.