• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which TOC issued my season ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

adc82140

Established Member
I have an annual Gold Card between Guildford and Farnborough Stations (route any permitted). It was bought at Guildford, and SWT have signed me up to their loyalty programme (6 free SWT weekend tickets- much appreciated). However the bulk of my journeys are completed exclusively on FGW services.

just out of curiosity I was wondering which TOC actually gets the money for this ticket. i have previously checked validity via SWT and Woking with revenue protection officers and they say it is valid on SWT via Woking to Farnborough Main.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mikeg

Established Member
It will likely be a mixture of both companies. The exact details of ORCATS, the system used to divide revenue between companies are kept secret however.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They both get a share (through a system called ORCATS)

The rewards/incentives offered are usually those from the operator who prices the flow :)

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
You seem to be asking two questions.

Your ticket was definitely issued by SWT, as they operate Guildford station.

The question of how revenue is allocated is a bit harder as it's information kept secret by the industry. The allocation is determined by a system called ORCATS and depends on frequency, speed and other factors of the various TOCs services. I would anticipate FGW would get the lion's share.

wintonian

Established Member
I expect FGW to take the lins share here and as the cheapest, most direct route, I would put my finger in the air and say arround 70% of it but thats not even a guess more a random thought as no-one knows how its all worked out.

wibble

Money would go to FGW because of the direct service and some will go to SWT as the ticket can be used via Woking.

As most passengers will choose the direct service over the indirect service via Woking, you can expect FGW to receive nearly all the cost of the season ticket.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
The issueing company get a commission on the sale of the ticket - I believe it is 9% for non-seasons, and 1% for seasons, regardless of whether or not the ticket is valid on any of their services.

The rest is divided up depending on, I've heard, the number of seats per day the different operators provide. But I imagine it is more complicated than that - passenger surveys are undertaken which would guestimate how many passengers would travel by each route for the calculation of dividing the revenue up.

Status
Not open for further replies.