• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which type of train still in service today will you miss most when they've all been withdrawn from use on the national network?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TB

The Sprinter types (150/153/155 and 156). As someone who grew up with the 2nd generation DMU's, these have the nicest engine noise.

The later Express Sprinters (158's&9's) also make a splendid noise.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Good gravy this is a tough question! There's a lot I'll miss when the class is all gone, and I could easily type lots on each entry here, but here for now is my list:

- HSTs. I don't follow them like I used to, but I wouldn't be where I am now without them. They're not as fun as they used to be, but they're still great trains.

- 323s. The iconic sound of a 323 will be sorely missed, the class still seems so new to me even though they're actually not much younger than me.

- 175s. I remember the joy these were when they first came to South Wales, still wearing FNW colours (oh my days there's a big wave of nostalgia, I could be here a while!) minus branding of course. This class has been so welcome on my local route, it seems weird to think they will soon be going.

- 158s. Fantastic trains, no question of it. Great for regional services, and I have plenty of memories of these both in South Wales and on journeys to/from the North West in past decades. Oof, there's the wave of nostalgia again!

There are of course other classes I'll miss when they go, but the above are the most notable. Of course, there's things like 150s and 153s which I'll miss too, as they've been such an important part of my enthusiast career so far, and the 321s ending service will take some getting used to. There's just so many examples to go into!

nw1

Established Member
When the whole Sprinter generation goes, it will feel strange - as they have been the mainstay of my adult life* on "Regional Railways" type routes.

(*well, many were introduced when I was still at school, but they were mostly in far-flung parts of the country at that point. Didn't actually travel on a Sprinter - specifically, a 155 - until I was 18).

trebor79

Established Member
Mark 4 sets.
Also the 755s, though that's not going to be for several decades yet!

zwk500

Veteran Member
bring the remaining 313s
I'm personally not enamoured with them. They were old, rattly, uncomfortable and pretty sedate on acceleration. The only thing I can see they had going for them was nostalgia. I expect the PEP brigade will be along shortly to crucify me for such heresy, but I much prefer the electrostars.
Although I won't miss a 377 when they go, but that's largely because I expect they'll be replaced by something broadly similar but a little bit faster off the mark and a little bit less comfortable on the backside so there won't be much to miss. Same with 350s - perfectly good trains, but not particularly special and will likely be replaced with something broadly similar.

The 390s are an interesting one. They are smart, comfortable and quick. But they're also pretty claustrophobic, the PA is rather jarring and they're often crammed full and the toilets smell bad. I didn't really notice the tilt (but then I've never been north of Manchester on one) so wouldn't really miss that novelty. I am sad I've never been hauled by a 90 though.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
185s. Massively over specced and over engineered making them amongst the most comfortable trains on the network. Also the best sounding diesel units to ever grace the network. Things in the pennines won't be the same once they're gone.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I got so distracted by my ice cream I forgot to mention 37s and 60s. Two fantastic classes of locomotives, the sight and sound of a 60 on a tanker train will always be amazing! The growl of a 37, oof that's good fun too!

390s, I've not always been a fan of them, but I do love the tilt. Cruising through Cumbria on a sunny day, with a cuppa in hand, watching the scenery while tilting away at speed, yes that will be much missed when the class retire.

ComUtoR

Established Member
but from all current traction and rolling stock on the national network, which type will you miss the most when they've gone,

None

Because I don't have the rose tinted nostalgia for the past that others do. (Or emotional attachment)

I am also a fan of technology and the future of the railway. Even units I've driven through my career I look on fondly, but when they are gone, I'll embrace the new and shiny.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
For me, it has to be the 321's as I commuted on the GEML back in the early 1990s; first on the old slammers (i.e. 302/5/7/8) and 309/312's to Clacton. The 321's came along and apart from the seating, were great, and reliable trains. Great acceleration and fast. I left the GEML in the latter 1990s but still did regular trips to Clacton. The beginning of the end came with the Renatus project. The best bits of them however were the compressors

And believe it or not, I will miss the Southern 313's.... I spent the best part of 13 years travelling on them. The last units I know well with loud compressors and Spirax valve tapping sounds. I will miss the variety on the South Coast

The 350s. I’ve loved/hated them and none will probably be preserved.
How can you be sure none will be preserved?

I will probably miss the 350s and the Turbos (class 165s-168s) the most.

I have always prefered the Turbos over the Sprinters, although I have not travelled on a sprinter for a long time so they may have improved since then (internally)?

Last edited:

zwk500

Veteran Member
90s, the distinctive sound and amazing capabilities will be missed.
90s are good, true.

Also 373s. Standing at St Pancras as one pulls out is magnificent, and that front cab is just a design triumph to see it whizz past at 180mph.

Established Member
To me the 91 is an even more significant ECML workhorse than the Deltic - there were more of them and they’ve lasted considerably longer.

That’s a good point. Fair to say they’re somewhat under appreciated compared to the HST.

Trainlog

For me it has to be the class 73s, i have really enjoyed seeing them from Tonbridge depot to seeing them do the weedkiller trains on the NKML and the Medway valley. When they pass through Chatham on the weedkillers as due to the design of the station being elevated above the platforms, the sound of the engine is incredible through the archways.

Kinda hope they have some more time on the mainline left:).

Also 373s. Standing at St Pancras as one pulls out is magnificent, and that front cab is just a design triumph to see it whizz past at 180mph.
Surprised no one has mentioned the 395s yet. One of the best trains around.

Trainlog

Surprised no one has mentioned the 395s yet. One of the best trains around.
I'll miss their current interiors when they get round to the refirbishments, rather comfy and have pretty much everything you need out of a train these days. Feel like they are going to ruin them with more ironing-board seats.

dgl

Established Member
158/9 and 444, both decent reliable trains that I have had many a good journey on and more have done more journeys on them than any other rolling stock.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
158/9 and 444, both decent reliable trains that I have had many a good journey on and more have done more journeys on them than any other rolling stock.

Yes, they are both very good trains. I'll miss them when they're gone !

vlad

I'll definitely miss the 323s. I hadn't realised how old they are but they don't look dated in my opinion and they still sound great!

The 331s that seem to be coming in and replacing them aren't the same - but that could just be the nostalgia speaking.

zwk500

Veteran Member
In terms of current passenger trains, I’m going 313s, which are being withdrawn very soon.
My experience of them on the Seaford Line was that there was little to recommend them other than rose-tinting, and I certainly won't miss them.
I think the suggestion is SWR.
It would, in theory, be technically possible to fit 750v pickups to them but it'll almost certainly be cost-prohibitive. 222s also probably don't align with SWR's future stock ideas, given the need to minimise dwells east of Basingstoke.

Class15

On Moderation
My experience of them on the Seaford Line was that there was little to recommend them other than rose-tinting, and I certainly won't miss them.
I don’t know them from the Seaford line, I know them from the NLL and GN where they had far more character than what’s come after them.
It would, in theory, be technically possible to fit 750v pickups to them but it'll almost certainly be cost-prohibitive. 222s also probably don't align with SWR's future stock ideas, given the need to minimise dwells east of Basingstoke.
It would cost a lot, I wasn’t even agreeing with the statement, just correcting what the poster had said about GWR.

Status
Not open for further replies.