Whitby Second Platform Approval.

Discussion in 'Infrastructure & Stations' started by fgwrich, 11 Feb 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fgwrich

fgwrich Established Member

Following on from the news that the Swanage Railway is to benefit from the latest round of Goverment 'Seaside' spending, the North York Moors railway will soon be able to operate from it's own platform in Whitby station as well.

2. STEVIEBOY1

STEVIEBOY1 Established Member

Again this is good news, there are infact a couple of other items on this forum already about the NYMR & Whitby, hopefully a run round loop will be possible there to speed up the steam operations at Whitby. :D

3. Ploughman

Ploughman Established Member

The proposal is to reinstate the 2nd platform, replace the existing turnout into Bog Hall sidings with a new turnout into P2 and then reconnect Bog Hall with a connection from P2.
    With a new run round loop within P2 as well.

4. Chris125

Chris125 Established Member

Any idea when work might start?

Chris

5. Ploughman

Not sure at the moment but I think completion for 2014.

6. Paul Sidorczuk

Paul Sidorczuk Veteran Member

The very best part of rural Cheshire East.
    The second platform plan at Whitby is reflective of how matters have progressed over recent times.

7. JohnCarlson

JohnCarlson Member

They'll soon have that direct line to York back in, wont they Paul! :D

8. Paul Sidorczuk

Now then, young gentleman, let us not open that thankfully-now-closed can of worms again...:D

9. Dolge

Dolge Member

10. Paul Sidorczuk

11. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Sorry I meant to leave a note. Post #9 was originally in a new thread and I've merged it into this one.

12. ryan125hst

ryan125hst Established Member

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is that a Regional Railways liveried Class 156 on the photograph of the above article?

13. Ploughman

Looks like it and they do or did travel along that stretch of the Esk Valley line.

The work at Whitby is to reinstate a second platform with its own run round separate from Platform 1 which will still be used by Northern Rail services.
    P2 will be used by NYMR services as well as any other operators services as required.
    Bog Hall sidings currently used for run round purposes will have its access rearranged. Currently it is reached by reversing from P1 the proposed access will now be from P2.
    Ownership will be retained by Network Rail.

14. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    correct ;)

Good news for NYMR and their services to Whitby and I also assume it will allow for some operational flexibility for Northern & any charter operators who serve Whitby.

15. lancastrian

lancastrian Member

I second that proposal Paul.

16. scarby

scarby Member

So then will they re-lengthen platform 2 - well surely they'll have to?

17. Ploughman

Yes.
    Proposal is for a Runround capable of taking any loco on Network now.
    Standage of approx 180m in the platform

18. kylemore

kylemore Member

What about this Potash Mine employing 1000 people! Surely theres some work there for Railway?

19. ainsworth74

ainsworth74 Moderator Staff Member Moderator

It's been looked at but as far as I'm aware they've given up on trying to get a railway into the site and they're going to be using a pipeline to take the potash to Teesside and then, I presume, either loading it onto ships for export or onto rail for transport within the UK.

Either way it doesn't look like the new mine will have a rail link.

20. lancastrian

lancastrian Member

It is good news to see that finally the NYMR have got all the finance in place to build the much needed second platform at Whitby.

In Moors Line, the NYMR quarterly journal, it showed how the track-work was to be altered so that the second platform can be of real benefit to the NYMR. There will also be a run-round, release road between the tracks in platform's 1 & 2. This will mean that NYMR locomotives can run round their trains, without all the current performance.

Also the current run-round, which can only be accessed by backing the whole train into the loop and then, backing the whole train back into the platform, will be in future accessed from platform 2, so that any incoming charters can be held separate to both platforms, as not to cause any delays to either Northern Services to Middlesbrough, or the NYMR services to Pickering.

All that they need now is to have a second DMU added to the services between Whitby & Middlesbrough, so that the Esk Valley gets a decent service both ways, especially when the new station at James Cook Hospital in opened.

Otherwise the NYMR with 5 services into Whitby will be the most frequent services into that town, Northern only has 4 services at this time. As I often holiday near to Grosmont, I have used both services into Whitby and used the Esk Valley service to Middlesbrough. And the later really needs to be increased.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.