• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

White Paint On The Inside Of Tracks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I was in the Manchester area, at a number of locations around the Stockport area a number of sections of track/crossovers had been painted with what looks like white gloss paint.

Has anybody got any idea what this means ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Reflects heats to try and mitigate expansion of rails in complex areas where it could knock points out of detection, etc.

TBY-Paul

Yesterday I was in the Manchester area, at a number of locations around the Stockport area a number of sections of track/crossovers had been painted with what looks like white gloss paint.

Has anybody got any idea what this means ?

In the discussion about Speed Restriction due to Heat, Flamingo makes reference to white paint

"Another thing that is relatively recent is that it has been found that painting the rails white at junctions reduces the temperature by a significant amount."

Not sure if this is what your referring too.
(sorry haven't yet mastered how to quote a link to another thread yet)

455driver

Veteran Member
On a similar theme, why are some rails sprayed with blue paint?

If its just over a couple of feet it could be to indicate a track fault or I have noticed some block joints painted blue.

If its over quite a distance, I havent got a clue, maybe they run out of white paint! ;)

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
If its just over a couple of feet it could be to indicate a track fault or I have noticed some block joints painted blue.

If its over quite a distance, I havent got a clue, maybe they run out of white paint! ;)

Bands of coloured paint on IRJs indicate the grade of rail, because short lengths may not be long enough to show a complete brand mark, or so I thought?

gordonthemoron

Established Member
at Leighton Buzzard station there are small metal brackets attached to the side of the track at frequent intervals, any idea what they might be?

455driver

Veteran Member
Would need to see a picture, its quite surprising how much stuff is attached to the track.

rebmcr

Established Member
at Leighton Buzzard station there are small metal brackets attached to the side of the track at frequent intervals, any idea what they might be?

They're called sleepers. They're usually made out of wood or concrete; metal ones are rare.

Trog

Established Member

They are survey targets, so the rails can be checked for movement with a theodolite from the safety of the platforms.

JB25

Loads of bits of track painted white around Purley etc, noticed it's usually near points. Makes sense.

tsr

Established Member
Loads of bits of track painted white around Purley etc, noticed it's usually near points. Makes sense.

Yep - and I'm pretty sure that's what at least some of the numerous NR staff around there were applying yesterday when I passed through a couple of times.

broadgage

As many others post, the white paint is probably to reduce heat gain.
But it MIGHT also be to reduce trip hazards to staff on the track after dark. I have seen trip hazards such as water pipes painted white as well as rails and points.

themiller

On the Cumbrian Coast line, rails at two level crossings were sprayed with white paint before installation to try to reduce the corrosive effect of road salt. The crossings concerned are Kirksanton and Limestone Hall just north of Millom. There may be others but I watched the installation of these two.

The Informer

On the Cumbrian Coast line, rails at two level crossings were sprayed with white paint before installation to try to reduce the corrosive effect of road salt. The crossings concerned are Kirksanton and Limestone Hall just north of Millom. There may be others but I watched the installation of these two.

That my friend is the cheap and nasty way. The rails should come pre-coated but i guess they either forgot to order some or just went for the cheap option!

Trog

Established Member
Level crossing rails should be pre coated with a special glass epoxy type paint. There was also a spray on aluminium coating in use but I think that has fallen out of favour.

Note to our maintenance friends... Don't drag coated rails along the ballast to get them to the crossing, it takes all the paint off the bottom of the rail.

The Informer

Level crossing rails should be pre coated with a special glass epoxy type paint. There was also a spray on aluminium coating in use but I think that has fallen out of favour.

Note to our maintenance friends... Don't drag coated rails along the ballast to get them to the crossing, it takes all the paint off the bottom of the rail.

Yes the other option was galvanised rails, they cost an absolute bloody fortune!
I've seen a thin layer of grease applied to non coated rails prior to installation, anything to slow the damage caused by road salt.

And yes the local authorities are supposed to stop spreading either side of a crossing but road vehicles and water eventually carry the salt onto the rails. The damage caused can be unreal!

Ploughman

Established Member
However NWR do not seem to know when coated rails should be used.

I have been on a number of jobs that specified coated rail to be installed at Such and Such Crossings.
When you get to site the specified crossing is a farm crossing nowhere near any Road Salting route.
Or even the other way round when a heavily used A road LC is not considered for coated rail.
We raised the query but where told leave it as is.

The Informer

However NWR do not seem to know when coated rails should be used.

I have been on a number of jobs that specified coated rail to be installed at Such and Such Crossings.
When you get to site the specified crossing is a farm crossing nowhere near any Road Salting route.
Or even the other way round when a heavily used A road LC is not considered for coated rail.
We raised the query but where told leave it as is.

Could you please edit that to say " However SOME in NWR...."

Trog

Established Member
Could you please edit that to say " However SOME in NWR...."

"A FEW" I think.

That said even without salt damp rail under an occupation crossing might be a higher corrosion risk than plain track. Or you may be able to save money by extending the period between lifts of the crossing deck for inspection of the rail if you install coated.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
And yes the local authorities are supposed to stop spreading either side of a crossing but road vehicles and water eventually carry the salt onto the rails. The damage caused can be unreal!

Years ago before the current checking regime for rail through level crossings was introduced, I have seen flat bottom rail that road salt had turned into bull head.

Status
Not open for further replies.