• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

White Rails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
For the past couple of months when traveling over the SE Network I have noticed in a couple of areas where both parts of the rails (Track) are painted white for quite a distance and I just wondered what it is there for and is there any reason for it?

If anyone could explain I would be happy! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
For the past couple of months when traveling over the SE Network I have noticed in a couple of areas where both parts of the rails (Track) are painted white for quite a distance and I just wondered what it is there for and is there any reason for it?

Its to reflect heat and reduce the potential for buckling

Dreadnought

There are a lot of points on the WCML that are painted white as well. I was told the same thing that driver9000 posted that it is to prevent expansion of the rails due to heat.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
Its to reflect heat and reduce the potential for buckling

There are a lot of points on the WCML that are painted white as well. I was told the same thing that driver9000 posted that it is to prevent expansion of the rails due to heat.

Thanks for the the reply and ansering my post. :)

But how does the paint help to stop the expansion of the rails when there hot?

jopsuk

Veteran Member
It doesn't. White reflects heat (from sunlight) better than the dark, matt finish of the rails (the shiny rop side is a pretty good heat reflector too), meaning that the rails don't heat up quite so much in the first place- it also means they radiate heat better as well.

devon_metro

Established Member
White reflects all visible light (the whole colour spectrum ROYGBV)

This means that less heat is absorbed from the energy in the suns light. As such the rail do not warm up as quickly, and the expansion caused by the heat is less obvious.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
It doesn't. White reflects heat (from sunlight) better than the dark, matt finish of the rails (the shiny rop side is a pretty good heat reflector too), meaning that the rails don't heat up quite so much in the first place- it also means they radiate heat better as well.

White reflects all visible light (the whole colour spectrum ROYGBV)

This means that less heat is absorbed from the energy in the suns light. As such the rail do not warm up as quickly, and the expansion caused by the heat is less obvious.

Thanks. :)

CarterUSM

Established Member
White surfaces reflects more heat and light than other surfaces, therefore the temperature will be lower than if not painted over, thereby reducing the expansion. I do not know by how much the temperature is reduced by though.

Last edited:

Ploughman

Established Member
White or cream ( 2 types) painted rails have been in use for a number of years now through Level Crossings and in tunnels to counter corrosion.
Sometimes painted rails were laid in the open when the wrong rail was delivered to site by the Long welded train. Easier to use it than send it back.

First I have heard of it being used as thermal protection.
Will work best, I suppose on East - West alignments.

Established Member
Seen quite a few instances where when a section of rail has been removed but a part is still attached to a running line, the ends where the rail has been removed are painted either yellow or white. Guessing this is to show that there is no rail there in case of a cock up and a train gets sent onto that bit of line.

Old Timer

Established Member
Seen quite a few instances where when a section of rail has been removed but a part is still attached to a running line, the ends where the rail has been removed are painted either yellow or white. Guessing this is to show that there is no rail there in case of a cock up and a train gets sent onto that bit of line.
The paint is to show where the rail should be cut.

Trog

Established Member
White surfaces reflects more heat and light than other surfaces, therefore the temperature will be lower than if not painted over, thereby reducing the expansion. I do not know by how much the temperature is reduced by though.

I have been told this is good for about 3'C.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
White or cream ( 2 types) painted rails have been in use for a number of years now through Level Crossings and in tunnels to counter corrosion.
Sometimes painted rails were laid in the open when the wrong rail was delivered to site by the Long welded train. Easier to use it than send it back.

The painted rails for corrosion resistance are old news, current work should be done using alphatek aluminium coated rails. These have a thin matt grey coating on them.

http://www.coatings4rail.com/products.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.