• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Whitebus, Motherwell

Does anyone know anything about this operator.

Registered​

KIERAN WHITE
Route: Greenside Garden Centre, Newhouse, Motherwell to Greenside Garden Centre, Newhouse, Motherwell via Newarthill, Carfin, New Stevenston, Craigneuk
Service number: 91 (91a)
Service type: Normal Stopping
Effective date: 15 Jan 2024

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Volvodart

Established Member
This may help:-

www.whitebusscotland.co.uk

Hi Folks
NEW BUS SERVICE
The registration of the new 91 and 91a bus service has now passed its first stage of its registration with SPT and its now with the Traffic Commissioner for Scotland for final approval.
We are hoping to get started on Monday 15th January.
Every 30 mins from 0630 for Mon-Fri
Every 45 mins from 0730 for Sat & Sun
I am proposing to hold PUBLIC MEETINGS at The Club Newarthill on the following dates & times. ALL WELCOME !!!
Thurs 14th Dec / 1pm-2pm and 7pm-8pm
Thurs 28th Dec / 1pm-2pm and 7pm-8pm
Thurs 11th Jan / 1pm-2pm and 7pm-8pm
I'll be able to answer all of your questions at these meetings.
# We will accept all concession cards in the same way that all other bus operators do.
# We will accept debit cards
# We will give change
Greenside Garden Centre
Newarthill
Carfin
New Stevenston
Jerviston
Motherwell
Craigneuk
Wishaw General
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE share with everyone you know who may want to use a local bus service.
Thanks
Kieran

markymark2000

On Moderation
Another operator within Strathclyde, how on earth does Strathclyde have so many independents, especially new/young independents. Yet elsewhere in the UK, commercial routes are being cut and independents stopping operating as many routes, especially commercial ones. There is definately something odd going on in the Strathclyde area which makes the operating environment so much better for independents.

Another operator within Strathclyde, how on earth does Strathclyde have so many independents, especially new/young independents. Yet elsewhere in the UK, commercial routes are being cut and independents stopping operating as many routes, especially commercial ones. There is definately something odd going on in the Strathclyde area which makes the operating environment so much better for independents.
Presumably it comes down to money.

Many of the small operators around Lanarkshire are less bothered about profit margins and have lower operating costs (lower wages, smaller buses etc).

By soaking up the smaller SPT routes they can maintain a private company and don’t need to go out of business, even if that business isn’t exactly a particularly well oiled machine.

JKP

I recall Kieran White being involved with bus operations previously in the west of Scotland. Do these new routes add anything to bus service provision or are they simply copies of another operators routes?

overthewater

Established Member
It does give Newarthill a direct link to Wishaw Hospital. Maybe they should extend to Chaplehall and Airdrie to give more new links

mabosh

I was in Motherwell on Monday (for the first time in years).

Didn't realise it was the first day of operation. These were the two Solos running on it. Seemed to be getting some passengers and both vehicles were pretty tidy.

Attachments

• P1120366.JPG
    P1120366.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 189
  • P1120370.JPG
    P1120370.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 189

lastbus

I was in Motherwell on Monday (for the first time in years).

Didn't realise it was the first day of operation. These were the two Solos running on it. Seemed to be getting some passengers and both vehicles were pretty tidy.
Been using a transit minibus on it at times. Not very user friendly.

Observer

Been using a transit minibus on it at times. Not very user friendly.
They bought four Solos for the route so assume there have been breakdowns going on and that's what has been available to replace it. The timetable needs three buses on it Monday to Friday and two at the weekend.

Last edited:

lastbus

They bought four Solos for the route so assume there have been breakdowns going on and that's what has been available to replace it. The timetable needs three buses on it Monday to Friday and two at the weekend.
Bus is not DDA compliant nor does it have a destination screen so shouldn’t be on a service route.

Observer

Bus is not DDA compliant nor does it have a destination screen so shouldn’t be on a service route.
It's not a SPT contract and 16 seaters are exempt from PSVAR. Anyway it was clearly a stop gap to keep a service running rather than it being skipped out. Maybe they will buy a fifth service bus at some point.

Last edited:

lastbus

It's not a SPT contract and 16 seaters are exempt from PSVAR. Anyway it was clearly a stop gap to keep a service running rather than it being skipped out. Maybe they will buy a fifth service bus at some point.
It has a sliding entry door and should not be used on a service route. Just another cowboy operator.

JKP

Because it does not have a destination screen and is not exactly suitable for the elderly.
A destination screen is not mandatory. A board in the window showing the destination will suffice. Minibuses are extensively used by community bus, Councils and charities to carry elderly people, so do not understand your reasons for saying they are not suitable.

Observer

They have a Facebook page talking about buses having issues and the timetable having to be reduced.
Good evening,
After 1 week of operating the 91/91a we have come across a lot of challenges.
Our main issue has been the buses I bought. My original idea was to buy cheaper buses from a local supplier and then upgrade them after a few months. That hasn’t worked and I’m currently trying to buy 2 more buses.
For the meantime whilst we repair the buses to allow us to do our best try to operate a service, we will operate a reduced service which offers a bus every 45 minutes from 0700.
91 service
Departing from Greenside Garden Centre
0915 - 91a
1130 - 91a
1300 (1.00)
1345 (1.45) - 91a
1430 (2.30)
1515 (3.15)
1600 (4.00) - 91a
1645 (4.45)
1730 (5.30)
1815 (6.15) - 91a
1900 (7.00)
1945 (7.45)
Departing from Wishaw General
1000 - 91a
1215 - 91a
1300 (1.00)
1345 (1.45)
1430 (2.30) - 91a
1515 (3.15)
1600 (4.00)
1645 (4.45) - 91a
1730 (5.30)
1815 (6.15)
1900 (7.00) - 91a
1945 (7.45)
2030 (8.30)
Thank you and please share with your friends,

lastbus

They have a Facebook page talking about buses having issues and the timetable having to be reduced.
Going against the registration of the service. I hope they have traffic commisioners approval.

RustySpoons

That timetable is difficult to follow. If you want to know what time the 91 will run from West Hamilton St around 11ish, how long will it take to work it out using the very limited info?

Screenshot 2024-01-23 191156.jpg
Image shows a screenshot of the 91/91a timetable. Shows the times of the first and last buses, but not much inbetween.

jazza374

Listed on VOSA as a timetable change effective 15th April.

• Registration numberPM2064275/1
  • Licence NumberPM2064275
  • Variation number1
  • StatusRegistered
  • Service number.91, 91a
  • Service typeNormal Stopping
  • Start pointGreenside Garden Centre, Newhouse, Motherwell
  • Finish pointGreenside Garden Centre, Newhouse, Motherwell
  • ViaNewarthill, Carfin, New Stevenston, Craigneuk
  • Date received29 Jan 2024
  • Effective date15 Apr 2024
  • End date

Observer

Heard a rumbling that the 91 is getting pulled. No sure when.
Would assume there would be some changes considering JMB's 42 is covering some of the route now, although just an hourly service. Not sure if it has made much impact though.

Dens Lad

As I said earlier I heard they are making a plan to stop running this route. Wait and see what happens but you heard it here first!

Motherwell241

Any time I have seen it about motherwell it has been carrying fresh air, with the name of the previous operation of the bus in the side

Dens Lad

Think Kieran has major issues as another bus broke down yesterday which will affect his run even more. Not the first break down this year either. Doubt the route will last much longer.

Observer

Think Kieran has major issues as another bus broke down yesterday which will affect his run even more. Not the first break down this year either. Doubt the route will last much longer.
They have not had the best of luck with buses since they started, they bought four Optare Solos to run their timetable (3 required for weekdays and 2 at weekends) and have had various problems since getting them.

Then followed two E200s which as you can see, have gone awry too. They're not going to keep on buying more buses, it would be interesting to see if the April timetable reduces the requirements if they still can run by then.

You can see their Facebook profile which alerted people that the service would run restricted, if at all. They only got those E200s last month too. We will have to see if they can get things fixed up or not.
Good Morning
Unfortunately we had a major mechanical issue with a bus last night and it had to be recovered. It is a major repair and will be off the road for some time.
We will have a restricted service today, if at all.
I really do apologise.

Dens Lad

You get what you pay for I suppose. If you buy biscuit tins then they won’t last long. No sure if the Comisioner would take that as a reason for no running a route as registered. Might be in for a wee visit to see her?

Observer

You get what you pay for I suppose. If you buy biscuit tins then they won’t last long. No sure if the Comisioner would take that as a reason for no running a route as registered. Might be in for a wee visit to see her?
Traffic Commissioner doesn't seem to bother anyone these days aside from rare occasions, not been the same since the pandemic.