• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who enforces "authorised vehicles only" motorway service station access roads

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor79

Established Member
Long story short. Arrived Michaelwood Services northbound. The Tesla chargers are located in the adjoining hotel car park, but I became confused as the navigation system was telling me to go down a lane with no entry signs and "Authorised Vehicles Only". I turned the corner on that lane and at that point could see it was the back/staff entrance to the service station, so turned around and drove back to the hotel car park and located the chargers.
Then I spotted the CCTV and ANPR cameras pointed at the access road. Oops.

The main car park restrictions are enforced by Parking Eye and the signs there state a £100 "parking charge" if you contravene by:
Staying longer than 2 hours without paying
Occupying more than one space
Parking in a disabled space without displaying a badge

The small print on the signs states the notices "form the entirety of the contract". There's nothing about the access road or accidentally going down a no entry.

Does anyone know if the access road is policed by Parking Eye or Welcome Break themselves. From a google search, it appears the restriction is to comply with planning rules. If push comes to shove I can prove I never actually left the site that way, and can prove I entered the site by the normal route too. But I guess that ANPR is going to have picked up me either "leaving" or "arriving" by that route and there'll be some ludicrous fee invoice on its way to me.
It's private land so can't be a police/council PCN.

Have I a leg to stand on or just suck it up?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
See https://motorwayservices.uk/Rear_Access for example, which is clearly not authoritative but has some background.

Rear Access​

Camera icon
42 more photos in the gallery
A rear access, better known as a 'secret exit', also known as a 'rear exit' or 'side exit', is a road which allows people to get from the service area to the local road network without using the main entrance (a motorway slip road). The phrase was dropped in the 2022 regulations, instead using the catchy title of "connections to roadside facilities from the local road network".
They are provided to provide staff, highway vehicles and the emergency services access to the service area and the wider motorway network without having to make a lengthy detour up to the next junction. Their use by hotel guests is permitted at older sites.
In some areas, recruiting local staff for a low-paid service station job is difficult, and the time saved by not having to drive up to the next motorway junction (which also means you have the option of walking or cycling to work) can help kerb staffing difficulties.
Operators are required to prevent anybody else from using them and, since 2008, to prevent them from being used as a short-cut.

Contents​

Enforcement​

Most service areas are fitted with either rising bollards, barriers or a number plate recording system, to prevent unauthorised traffic. In practice, most of those systems are either broken or not used. In some areas new security measures have been vandalised within weeks of being installed.
While police enforcement is rare, it does happen. A common trick is to park the police car out of sight at the end of the road, and stop everybody caught using the lane. Whether or not a fine can be issued depends on the quality of the signage at that particular location, but the presence of 'no entry' signs would normally be enough: you can only really argue the situation is confusing if you're a hotel guest.
Police enforcement varies by region, and is often prompted by complaints from residents or the highway authority. While most complaints about unauthorised traffic stem mostly from the residents who have to contend with it, most of the unauthorised traffic is also people living locally.
In some areas, enforcement is virtually non-existent, and unauthorised vehicles can be seen using the rear access every couple of minutes. Many of these routes have been included on Google Street View and some unscrupulous estate agents have been known to use them to advertise a nearby property having good motorway access.

Safety Issues​

Heavy-duty fencing only works if it's closed.
There are several reasons general traffic is not allowed to use the rear access.
The first is quite simply that it's an operational requirement. Government policy states that people must not be able to join the motorway via a service station, so the operators must ensure that is the case. More recently a planning condition will also be imposed on service stations saying the same thing. Even if the unauthorised traffic is only trying to use the facilities, the policy is clear that the service area's priority should be to serve motorway traffic.
Secondly, especially in the case of the older services, the lanes these rear accesses connect to are not designed to handle much traffic at all. They were usually built at the same time as the motorway but with the minimal possible expenditure. They are narrow, weak, and may take traffic into residential or congested areas.
At the service station end, there is often an unconventional road layout. At some service areas, the rear access requires traffic to travel the wrong way down the one-way road, while others end with confusing or badly-aligned junctions. This isn't so bad when the only people using it are staff who have been trained on the issue, but becomes a problem when the general population are using it.
Finally, when people are taking a shortcut - especially when they don't want to get caught - they tend to speed up. The high speeds which unauthorised traffic has been seen reaching on these narrow lanes creates additional safety issues, especially if they are heading straight into the service area car park or a residential area.

History​

Rear accesses were a standard feature of service area design from the very start.
As early as 1961, the Ministry of Transport were complaining about the gates at Newport Pagnell having been left open. They were shocked that three vehicles being seen abusing it in 10 minutes - particularly impressive when you consider how empty the motorway would have been at the time! The Ministry of Transport were frustrated by this because, as the landowner, they treated this as abuse of their land, and made numerous complaints to operators about it.
At one stage rear accesses were considered so important to service area design that one service area considered on the M1 in the 1960s would have had both rear accesses bridge a railway line: a considerable investment for what was basically an optional extra.
When Rownhams was planned in 1971, local residents were deeply concerned about the Rear Access being abused. This became a regular topic of correspondence as soon as it opened in 1976. In 1978 the Department of Transport eventually admitted that they had no suggestions as to how this could be addressed. The contract for Sandbach (opened 1975) was the first to explicitly state that the Rear Access must be controlled.
Despite staff not wanting to get out and lock it, a gate and padlock remained the only way of securing these exits until 1977, when Keele trialled a rising bollard system. Being close to the University, Keele was a popular shortcut for students. The rising gate was too expensive to roll out immediately, and frequently attracted vandalism.
With the creation of lodges, the Department for Transport reluctantly accepted the idea that lodge traffic can turn around using the rear access. They preferred this to traffic making lengthy detours. By 2008 this was stopped for all new lodges, and it is starting to be phased out nationwide.
With more families owning a car and fewer deliveries coming from the local area, rear accesses became less important, although they continued to be included for convenience. In 2008, a new rule was introduced stating that all new services must have the Rear Access permanently sealed off. This means emergency traffic can use the rear access to get to the service area, but not to join the motorway.
A new use (or problem) for Rear Accesses emerged in the 2020s: some service areas are now earning money on the side by selling food to local residents via food delivery apps. This means local couriers are looking for the fastest way in and out of the service area, and normally that will be via the Rear Access.

Services with Rear Accesses​

Here is a comprehensive list of all the services with a rear access and the road they join on to. Several unbuilt services have been included if it was clear there would have been a rear access.
UK services are listed first, with the five Irish examples at the end.
M1:
M2:
M3:
  • Trumps Green - Kitsmead Lane (south-westbound only)
  • Fleet - Pale Lane
  • Kempshott - Beggarwood Lane (north-eastbound), Garlic Lane (south-eastbound) (not built)
  • Winchester - Chillandham Lane (south-eastbound only, now closed)
M4:
  • Heston - North Hyde Lane (northbound), Phoenix Way (southbound) - unusual in that "M4 diverted traffic" signs point down both roads
  • Reading - Deans Copse Road (westbound)
  • Membury - Ramsbury Road
  • Leigh Delamere - Honey Knob Hill
  • Pucklechurch - Westerleigh Road (westbound), Batchfield Lane (eastbound) (not built)
M5:
  • Frankley - Illey Lane (northbound), Ravenhayes Lane (southbound)
  • Newland Common - Tagwell Road (northbound), Trench Lane (southbound) (not built)
  • Strensham - Hill View Road
  • Gloucester - Winnycroft Lane (northbound only)
  • Michaelwood - Mule Street (northbound), Wick Lane (southbound)
  • Moreton Valence - Standish Lane (not built)
  • Sedgemoor - Strowland Lane (northbound), Mendip Road (southbound)
  • Taunton Deane - Lowton Road (northbound), unnamed road (southbound)
M6:
M6 Toll:
M8:
M12:
M18:
  • Hatfield - Mill Hill Road (northbound), New Mill Field Road (southbound) (not built)
M25:
  • Clacket Lane - Clacket Lane
  • Iver - Thorney Lane South/A4007 Slough Road (different plans, neither built)
M27:
M40:
  • Warwick - Fosse Way (northbound), Windmill Hill Lane (southbound)
M48:
M42:
M61:
M62:
M74/A74(M):
A1(M):
Only A-road service areas that are built like a traditional twin site are shown here:
A14:
A34:
  • Sutton Scotney - Barton Road (northbound), By Pass Road (southbound)
A40:
  • Monmouth - Groesenon Road (north-westbound), unnamed road (south-eastbound)
Ireland:

I remember using Keele years ago.
More recently I observed many people using the northbound service road from Knutsford services for both entry and exit, but that was still probably ten years ago.
In the past they were useful if you were parking all day, and sharing a car with someone else who picked you up, the parking restrictions today prevent that. I guess this was when the service station car parks were vast and empty, probably in the last century.

Last edited:

guilbert

I'd be surprised if you hear anything about it to be honest. I'm not familiar with Michaelwood but I've seen plenty of people using them at other sites who give the impression they do it regularly. Welcome Break are supposed to stop people using them but there's no great incentive for them to do so.

trebor79

Established Member
See https://motorwayservices.uk/Rear_Access for example, which is clearly not authoritative but has some background.

I remember using Keele years ago.
More recently I observed many people using the northbound service road from Knutsford services for both entry and exit, but that was still probably ten years ago.
In the past they were useful if you were parking all day, and sharing a car with someone else who picked you up, the parking restrictions today prevent that. I guess this was when the service station car parks were vast and empty, probably in the last century.
Yes I saw that site. These ANPR cameras were most definitely not vandalised, and in fact looked brand new. They aren't on the google street view photos
I'd be surprised if you hear anything about it to be honest. I'm not familiar with Michaelwood but I've seen plenty of people using them at other sites who give the impression they do it regularly. Welcome Break are supposed to stop people using them but there's no great incentive for them to do so.
I've used the one at Charnock Richard when I was staying at the hotel there, but that was "enforced" with a (broken) barrier not cameras.

Wait and see I guess.

baz962

Established Member
A very good friend of mine used to live in mill hill and his road was practically next door to what used to be scratchwood services and we used it all the time. Never got in any trouble , although this was around 1997/8

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
As mentioned in post #2 above, the service road to the M6 northbound Knutsford services off the A5033, has been the unoffical 'junction 18A' for as long as I've been driving past (approx. 40 years).

randyrippley

Established Member
Most of them aren't watched or controlled
At a lot of sites you have to use these back exits to gain access to the on-site hotels. Lancaster/Forton is a good example where the hotel is on the northbound side, southbound drivers have to access it via the back access

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Most of them aren't watched or controlled
At a lot of sites you have to use these back exits to gain access to the on-site hotels. Lancaster/Forton is a good example where the hotel is on the northbound side, southbound drivers have to access it via the back access
Also Medway (M2) and Clacket Lane (M25), among others.

One that is strictly enforced is Heston (M4) in both directions and Travelodge (who have a hotel on both sides) have put a warning to that effect on the relevant hotel information pages.

nlogax

Established Member
One that is strictly enforced is Heston (M4) in both directions and Travelodge (who have a hotel on both sides) have put a warning to that effect on the relevant hotel information pages.

That's a shame, I have definite memories of being able to get to and from Heston without bothering to touch the motorway. I can understand the need to close off these unofficial motorway junctions though. And I admit to using the Knutsford access back in the mid 90s...

trebor79

Established Member
Google Streetview shows similar CCTV/ANPR set up at Heston to what I encountered at Michaelwood. I shall update if anything comes of it.

AndrewE

Established Member
I don't know why it came up, but about 20 years ago a retired policeman I knew commented about people using Sandbach services access roads: "They will have a nasty shock if they have a prang as their insurance won't pay up. It's not a public road."

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I used to work at Taunton Deane services, so regularly used the "secret" entrance. Back then there was no surveillance of it, just barriers with an intercom and keypad for the code. However given where I lived in Taunton there wasn't much difference between driving on the back lanes and driving from the regular junction.

The writer of the article quoted above loses a few points for using "kerb" (which is the edge of a pedestrian walkway) in place of "curb" (which is a verb meaning "to prevent or discourage"). [/pedant]

Cloud Strife

Established Member

According to Street View, Knutsford Northbound can be used for both accessing the lodge and for M&S Click and Collect.

guilbert

According to Street View, Knutsford Northbound can be used for both accessing the lodge and for M&S Click and Collect.
Rather amusingly the Southbound has someone pulling out in a Maserati. Maybe he works in WHSmiths though...

Status
Not open for further replies.