• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who has been the best operator of the East Coast Main Line franchise?

Who has been the best operator of the East Coast Main Line franchise?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

matacaster

On Moderation
My favourite East Coast operator was GNER, they offered great fares and generally did a good job. Those since have just reduced the on board services and increased the prices to obscene levels.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
My favourite East Coast operator was GNER, they offered great fares and generally did a good job. Those since have just reduced the on board services

GNER were good, but the high point really was DOR/East Coast. GNER would grudgingly give you a coffee and a biscuit in first class, everything else was paid for. DOR/EC changed that around and brought in an excellent first class service, which was pretty much ruined by Stagecoach the day they took over.

DOR/EC first class was genuinely worth paying quite a bit extra for, and I usually paid up. Stagecoach came in and immediately penny-pinched on everything- smaller wine glasses, smaller Coke cans, smaller coffee cups, fewer trolley runs, extreme toast rationing, no second slice of cake. When I'm paying those fares I don't want to be made to feel like a naughty schoolboy for asking for a second glass of wine. So I stopped paying those fares. I switched to Grand Central.

Operationally there was little between DOR/EC and VTEC, to be quite honest. But it's amazing how the small things distort opinions; losing 25ml-50ml of wine from a wine glass affects nothing operationally, and given the price of bulk-bought cheap plonk I highly doubt it even noticably affected the bottom line, but it changed my entire opinion of the operation. Given VTEC's rapid descent into financial armageddon, I doubt I was alone in switching.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.