• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Whole life" prison term

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmjcf

If so, I ask if anyone has read of the responses made by Ian Brady recently which contained no remorse whatsoever for his actions all those years ago and his description of some of his young victims is unbelievable.
Hence the panel at his hearing found conclusively against him and unanimously rejected his application to be discharged from hospital. For the next few years at least, we have done all we need to do. The authorities can continue to detain him because they are satisfied that it is still necessary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Where did I say they haven't banned whole life tariffs? Whole life tariffs and whole life imprisonment are two completely different things.

You will have to excuse my layman's understanding of the whole situation.

Basically the ECHR have outlawed the practice of "whole life imprisonment", which to many of the general public who are simpletons like me will mean that "life no longer means life" because somewhere down the line there is a possibility the criminal could get away with something what many would see as less than the deserved consequence of their crimes, through one of these reviews.

This to many people is not fair, to the deceased or to the family of the deceased, and sends out the wrong signal in the context of law and order.

This is not because people just believe whatever they are told, contrary to what you think.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
No, they have outlawed the whole life tariff.

OK, "whole life tariff".

Please stop presuming to know what "many people" think.

If you don't want to believe me then that is your choice. A quick look around many websites will show you that I am not the only one with a similar opinion. No, not everyone will be as fluent as you in the technicalities and the exact details of every little word, and people might get one or two things wrong in the process, but the underlying principles of what I said in the previous post doesn't change. You might think that everyone with a similar opinion to the one I have is influenced by the gutter press or have no independent thinking skills, or lack any appreciation for the real truth, but that is a quite prejudiced view if I may.

Clearly whatever I say on this subject you will object to. I am going to leave it here, as I have said all I need to.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Please stop presuming to know what "many people" think.

How dare you.

You, in this very thread have accused the whole population of being "thick".

As already established, the general public are thick, and have no idea what's best for themselves, let alone anyone else.

For everyone you disagree with, your default position is to assume they have been somehow co-opted by the press:

There you are believing everything you read in the papers again. The court hasn't found anything wrong with that.

And yet, you have the nerve to suggest that we are dictating to people how they should think.

I have never been so disgusted by a post on this forum before.

Last edited:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I have never been so disgusted by a poster on this forum before.

I feel that this particular thread has been used by one certain member in a way that has greatly offended many other forum members and I second the comment that you have made above.

Perhaps it may be time for the moderators to consider locking this thread before any further bad feeling can be caused.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Where did I say they haven't banned whole life tariffs? Whole life tariffs and whole life imprisonment are two completely different things.

The point of the whole life tariff is to ensure that the prisoner spends the rest of their life in prison.

Anything that waters this down is derogating from a whole life tariff.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I feel that this particular thread has been used by one certain member in a way that has greatly offended many other forum members and I second the comment that you have made above.

Perhaps it may be time for the moderators to consider locking this thread before any further bad feeling can be caused.

My apologies.

We live in a democracy yet have no influence over the law at times. It frustrates me.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think that both sides have had ample opportunity to make their point of view heard. As such I'm going to lock this thread. If anyone has something significant and new to add then feel free to get in touch and the staff team will consider reopening it.

Status
Not open for further replies.