• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who's in a driver or conductor talent pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

banksywhoshe

Just wondering who's in a TP and with which TOC? I've been pooled as a trainee conductor with northern since April. Just wondering if you all still hold on to your passes like I do mine?!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MadeinWigan

I'm on hold for a driver position at Wigan with Northern. Have been since Feb 2014. Apparently they messed up in one way or another so I'll have to wait and see if a position comes up in the future. Seeing as there are no more courses this year for externals I won't be holding my breath.

WCMLaddict

What do you mean there are no courses for externals? One started 2-3 weeks ago and as far as I know majority are externals. There's at least another one planned for later this year.
As a matter of fact there are no 'internal only' courses at all.

WCMLaddict

The courses are not organised for a depot. On the west they are organised for the whole region and candidates for different depots are placed on course in accordance to business needs.
Hence my surprise when You wrote that there are no courses planned for the rest of the year. Courses are planned but it's unlikely that there will be a Wigan trainee on it. You already know the reasons for that.
In last 12 months there was only 1-2 trainees for Wigan AFAIK.

Last edited:

Louby

The courses are not organised for a depot. On the west they are organised for the whole region and candidates for different depots are placed on course in accordance to business needs.
Hence my surprise when You wrote that there are no courses planned for the rest of the year. Courses are planned but it's unlikely that there will be a Wigan trainee on it. You already know the reasons for that.

I received the same email and I'm down for man

andyurwin84

I'm in a talent pool for a conductor with Northern. Either at Neecastle or Middlesbrough. Get told I passed the assessment in February. Still waiting....

MadeinWigan

Yeah, I'd like to know how many are on the list for Wigan. At the current rate I may get a call up just within the 5yrs the assessment scores are valid for.

johnsonr380

Im in the pool for northern Manchester. No recruitment for rest of year due to franchise up in April. Spoke with recruitment, cancelled all 2015 courses

Last edited:

LFO

Im in the pool for northern Manchester. No recruitment for rest of year due to franchise up in April. Spoke with recruitment, cancelled all 2015 courses

I am in the pool for Northern Manchester and have also heard this, which is the last thing that I wanted to hear, particularly regarding the franchise.

What are the chances of Northern getting the franchise again or is it touch and go?

Also if the worse did happen and Northern loose the franchise would we all get the boot from the pool or will the new replacing TOC keep us. What usually happens as I am new to all this ?

Thanks.

Daz9284

I am in the pool for Northern Manchester and have also heard this, which is the last thing that I wanted to hear, particularly regarding the franchise.

What are the chances of Northern getting the franchise again or is it touch and go?

Also if the worse did happen and Northern loose the franchise would we all get the boot from the pool or will the new replacing TOC keep us. What usually happens as I am new to all this ?

Thanks.

I am in the pool for Northern driver at leeds. Received an e-mail from HR on weds saying that the recruitment for 2015 is slower than anticipated but there will be recruitment this year and I will be considered when the places come up.

regards,
darryl

LFO

I am in the pool for Northern driver at leeds. Received an e-mail from HR on weds saying that the recruitment for 2015 is slower than anticipated but there will be recruitment this year and I will be considered when the places come up.

regards,
darryl

Thanks Darryl

I have not received any such e-mail regarding this. Has any of the Manchester driver pool been sent this e-mail or is this anticipation for Leeds only ?

Regards.

Louby

Thanks Darryl

I have not received any such e-mail regarding this. Has any of the Manchester driver pool been sent this e-mail or is this anticipation for Leeds only ?

Regards.

Yes I'm in man and got it

LFO

Give them a ring, how long have you been waiting ?

Hi Louby

I have been in the pool for Driver since Feb 14, don't know how many have been taken on this year. Still jumping for the phone when it rings. :)

Louby

Hi Louby

I have been in the pool for Driver since Feb 14, don't know how many have been taken on this year. Still jumping for the phone when it rings. :)

Same as the rest of us, didn't think they were many left, I longed stopped listening for the phone!

LFO

Same as the rest of us, didn't think they were many left, I longed stopped listening for the phone!

Probably more left than you think. Don't know what happens if the franchise ever changes hands.

LFO

Are you still within the new 45 min catchment time?

Still within the catchment time. Like the rest of the pool, just hope that something happens after all the waiting. Good luck.

Regards

banksywhoshe

Yeah I don't think my pass would be a pass with another toc as we didn't have to do role play with northern. I got an update from northern last week Saying I'm waiting to be allocated a place on the training course but they have no idea about when that is

col68

Yeah I don't think my pass would be a pass with another toc as we didn't have to do role play with northern. I got an update from northern last week Saying I'm waiting to be allocated a place on the training course but they have no idea about when that is

same here got my email last week too.

Fred Dinenage

I'm " on file " with Northern after an MDD interview and assessment. I read on here that they've cancelled recruitment due to the franchise being up next year, unsure if that leaves me up **** creek or not......

Jonfun

Established Member

You'd generally just have to sit any assessments that you hadn't already done, assuming that the other TOC recognised passes from other companies in the first place. Every company tends to do different-ish tests with different rules about taking and passing each - I turned up for one assessment day from which I was out of the building within 20 minutes as I only had one eight minute long test to take. Keep at it :)

387star

On Moderation
Talent pool is normally where you have no guarantee you will ever get a job and just pray you will before its too late

Status
Not open for further replies.