• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who's in a driver or conductor talent pool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonfun

Established Member
It's one of those HR buzzwords to make things sound cool and exciting. Basically they do recruitment in batches so they don't have to keep readvertising every time a job comes up, and applicants who pass the selection process are put in like a holding pen so as and when the company has sufficient vacancies, they'll be able to dip in and find someone to fill it without having to wait months for a recruitment drive to be done.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bluebird83

I'm in 2 for ATW, 2nd on the list for Camarthen and 6th for Cardiff. Not a nice place to be I don't think. Living on the edge for a call that may never come! Plus for me there's a chance of redundancies at work so I've no idea what to do!

MadeinWigan

I was in a similar place to you. I was facing redundancy just before I went in the talent pool. I thought I was going to be ok as they said that the course was for March and we were in February. I took a temp job just to keep me going and 15mths later I'm still in the temp jobs.

With hindsight I should have gone with a back up plan from the off but the way things were presented to us suggested that we were almost certain of a job. That was probably my misinterpretation. I am now planning my career as if I hadn't applied for the driver job in the first place as it seems unlikely that a job will materialise.

It's not a nice position to be in but there is always the option of letting them know you want to be taken out of the pool.

387star

On Moderation
Out of interest did you have a written assurance you were guaranteed a job offer with them?

I have a medical coming up with gtr and they are saying everyone will be placed on courses

Your post makes me concerned but I should be alright surely?

MadeinWigan

No, never had anything in writing so I can't complain on that front. I understand that things change, looking back it all seemed such a rush job and seemed tok good to be true. The last recruitment drive was quite different to previous ones. Like you say, the chances of a position coming up at Wigan is very slim so maybe I'm just bitter.

Albatross

Hearing that Northern are getting a few qualifieds from Schenker and that's why they've been cancelling courses.

Can't say how true it is, it's just mess room talk.

MadeinWigan

I know that if I was recruiting I'd want qualified drivers first, internals second and externals last.

Albatross

They've actually recently cancelled an internal course as well. Shame because a couple of good mates were on it, long serving guards.

Again the word is that it's due to the impending arrival of qualifieds from freight.

387star

On Moderation
I'm in 2 for ATW, 2nd on the list for Camarthen and 6th for Cardiff. Not a nice place to be I don't think. Living on the edge for a call that may never come! Plus for me there's a chance of redundancies at work so I've no idea what to do!

They tell.you where you are on the list? Wish fgw would do that

banksywhoshe

nothing from my end in cumbria, i think northern are waiting to hear if they've got the franchise again for April is it? something like that anyways. I hope they take on again for xmas or just after....Hope...

kelv

Just looked up when franchises are to be awarded as I've noticed that the recruitment has slowed right down, here's what I found ....

A joint Rail North – Department for Transport Working Group has developed the detail of the size and scope of the new Northern and TransPennine franchises.

Public consultation on the new franchises took place in summer 2014, and replies helped inform the final shape of the new franchises.

The new franchises will commence in April 2016.

The delay in rail re-franchising means that two Direct Franchise Awards will have to be made by the DfT: one to cover Northern services, which started in April 2014 and one covering TransPennine Express services from April 2015.

The dates below may change as more details become available, but the current milestones (February 2015) are:

Decision on shape of franchises announced January 2014
Direct Award for Northern franchise announced 25 March 2014
Public consultation on franchises specifications from 6 June until 18 August 2014
Pre-qualification of bidders announced 19 August 2014
Rail North becomes a legal entity September 2014
Invitations to Tender issued 27 February 2015
Direct Award for TransPennine Express franchise March 2015
Bids returned mid 2015
Preferred bidders announced end 2015
Franchises commence 1 April 2016

so from when a franchise begins there isnt a massive amount of time to when they have to start bidding again.... and recruitment slows down, keeps them on their toes but long term planning goes out of the window really.

Northernboy67

I am currently in the pool with Southeastern for Conductor, Train Driver and Station Staff. I have passed all 3 assessments.

Status
Not open for further replies.