• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why are we hearing more about AI now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pete_uk

Established Member
AI is the latest buzz after Blockchain. Most so called AI is not AI but very sophisticated algorithms and stuffs.

The exile

Established Member
ChatGPT spent quite a bit of time trying to convince me that you can do wheelies on a unicycle. I don't think that's because it "read" it somewhere. I think it had unicycles lumped in with two wheeled vehicles and wasn't distinguishing the critical difference.
I suppose you could argue that on a unicycle you’re doing wheelies all the time!

AdamWW

Established Member
I suppose you could argue that on a unicycle you’re doing wheelies all the time!

Fair point but it explained that to do it on a unicycle you have to pull up on the handlebars to lift the front wheel off the ground.

Clearly making a point about what the "I" in "AI" means (or rather doesn't) in the context of these language models.

The exile

Established Member
Fair point but it explained that to do it on a unicycle you have to pull up on the handlebars to lift the front wheel off the ground.

Clearly making a point about what the "I" in "AI" means (or rather doesn't) in the context of these language models.
Ok - agree, there is a distinct lack of both intelligence (and knowledge) displayed there!

DoubleLemon

Is that still a thing? (ChatGPT would quite possibly say that it is!)
Strawberry and pea Pizza is also a thing.

Here are some good videos to watch about AI - some are older than others:

ChatGPT with Rob Miles - Computerphile​

AI Language Models & Transformers - Computerphile​

AI "Stop Button" Problem - Computerphile​

The Channel itself is fantastic https://www.youtube.com/@Computerphile

Last edited:

brad465

Established Member
Well now one of the faces of AI this year has been ousted from OpenAI, Sam Altman, which is significant (he's one of the potential winners of TIME person of the year, which I suspect will be AI-related):

Sam Altman, the head of artificial intelligence firm OpenAI, has been ousted by the company's board, which said it had lost confidence in his ability to lead the company.
The board said Mr Altman had not been "consistently candid with his communications", hindering its ability to exercise its responsibilities.
Mr Altman co-founded the firm.
The maker of the ChatGPT bot, OpenAI was behind a wave of excitement about artificial intelligence.
Mr Altman had become a spokesman of sorts for the burgeoning industry, appearing before Congress this year to testify about new rules for artificial intelligence.
On social media, Mr Altman wrote that he had loved his time at the company.
"It was transformative for me personally, and hopefully the world a little bit. Most of all I loved working with such talented people," he wrote. "Will have more to say about what's next later."
In a statement the board said it was grateful for Mr Altman's contributions but that they believed new leadership was necessary.
"The board no longer has confidence in his ability to continue leading OpenAI," the company said, citing a "a deliberative review process by the board, which concluded that he was not consistently candid in his communications with the board, hindering its ability to exercise its responsibilities."
The announcement of his departure sent shockwaves through the sector.
On social media, former Google boss Eric Schmidt called Mr Altman "a hero of mine" and said that he had "changed our collective world forever".
"I can't wait to see what he does next. I, and billions of people, will benefit from his future work- it's going to be simply incredible," he wrote.
OpenAI was launched by Mr Altman and several others in 2015 as a non-profit.
It is now backed by Microsoft, which has invested billions. Just weeks ago, the firm was reportedly in talks to sell shares in the company to investors at a price that would value it at more than $80bn (£64bn).
The company said its board members did not have shares in the firm and that their fundamental governance responsibility was to "advance OpenAI's mission and preserve the principles of its Charter".
The company said chief technology officer, Mira Murati, would take over as interim chief, effective immediately, while the board searches for a permanent replacement.
Board chairman Greg Brockman is also stepping down, though he will remain as staff at the company.
ChatGPT is known for its ability to respond to prompts from users with human-like text, images and videos.
Hundreds of millions of people have tried it out, and many are now regularly using it to help them do their jobs and study - to consternation in some cases, like teachers facing essays written by the bot and people worried for their jobs.

EDIT: Looks like he's being reinstated, after investors and employees pushed for his reinstatement:

The ex-boss of leading artificial intelligence firm OpenAI has posted a picture of himself at its HQ, following reports he is set to return after being sacked on Friday.
In the post on X, formerly Twitter, Sam Altman is pictured holding a guest ID pass and comments: "First and last time i ever wear one of these".
The 38-year-old helped launch firm which created the popular ChatGPT bot.
On Friday the board dismissed Mr Altman saying it had lost confidence in him.
Reports this weekend, however, have suggested investors and employees are pushing for Mr Altman to be reinstated.
According to tech news site the Information, Mr Altman and Greg Brockman - another co-founder who quit on Friday as the company's president - were invited to the firm's San Francisco headquarters for talks on Sunday.
The BBC has contacted OpenAI for comment.
Mr Altman is seen as one of the most influential figures in the fast-growing generative AI space and his ouster sent shockwaves across the industry.
In a letter on Friday, the company's board accused him of not being "consistently candid in his communications with the board, hindering its ability to exercise its responsibilities".
It is not clear what he is alleged to have not been candid about.
Reports this weekend, however, suggested Mr Altman's sacking had angered current and former employees who were worried it might affect an upcoming $86bn (£69bn; €79bn) share sale.
The firm's venture capitalist backers and the tech giant Microsoft - which has a $10bn stake in OpenAI - have also called for his return, according to the FT.
OpenAI is widely seen to be a company at its peak, with lucrative investment pouring in, and ChatGPT - which was launched almost a year ago - is used by millions.
Mr Altman has been the face of the firm's rise. More than that, he is seen by many as the face of the industry more widely.
He testified before a US Congress hearing to discuss the opportunities and risks created by the new technology and also appeared at the world's first AI Safety Summit in the UK at the beginning of November.
His ouster sparked an outpouring of support from Silicon Valley bosses, including former Google chief executive Eric Schmidt who called Mr Altman "a hero of mine" and said that he had "changed our collective world forever".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.