• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do people not move down carriages to make more space?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Why do students always sit in the vestibules with their belongings and get in everybody's way when there are plenty seats free?
Because if they have bags full of extremely high value electronics, putting them in luggage racks is a nonstarter.

And because forcing their way into seats next to people who don't want to be sat next to is not really a pleasant experience.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
Because if they have bags full of extremely high value electronics, putting them in luggage racks is a nonstarter.

And because forcing their way into seats next to people who don't want to be sat next to is not really a pleasant experience.
I think the rest of us are more grateful that some student type isn't plonking themselves in the seat next to us.

And the idea that you can't put a laptop bag in the rack is just daft.

Silenos

Why do students always sit in the vestibules with their belongings and get in everybody's way when there are plenty seats free?
Because they are young and impatient and don’t want to be held up in exiting by a lot of dithery old* fools? <(

*for values of old exceeding about 25

blueberry11

The same thing happens on buses. Unless you are getting off at the next few stops, its best to move your way back towards the back of the bus.

Anyway, having three entry/exit points on the left, middle and right would help distribute the passenger load evenly,. however, this is not often done at terminus stations due to the need for stairs/escalators and lifts (often required). The EL has walk through carriages meaning that (as the name suggests) you can move down the carriage if needed even while inside the train. I always try to use the quietest coach/part of the train possible and to avoid being in the 3 rear coaches from terminus stations. Does the uneven load also occur on the LO (overground)? I have never been on the LO and I cannot explain it.

Uneven loads certainly happen on the North London Line. Highbury and Islington (the busiest station) has the exit at the East end, as do Dalston Kingsland and Homerton. Consequently east end of trains always busier (at least either side of H & I.) Journey times are short and the benefit from getting out of the station first (or to the Victoria Line at Highbury and Islington) outweighs any penalty for having to stand. The truly infirm get offered seats.

BJames

Established Member
It is not unusual on LO West Anglia routes into Seven Sisters to have absolutely no space to get on at White Hart Lane or Bruce Grove in the third carriage, but plenty of space available elsewhere (although this is only really a problem on Tues-Thurs now; Mondays and Fridays there is less crowding). Again as above being able to jump off and pace it down the stairs to the Victoria line to beat the crowds is worth it. I do it. Weekends can see a bit more of an even load distribution when there is a 4 car but if an 8 car its reasonable.

jon81uk

The Stansted Express is a classic example of this from my observations particularly during busier periods. Everyone piles on at the back at Liverpool Street. The same again happens at Tottenham Hale and as a result of people not moving down plenty of people get left behind when they could have fit if the load was evenly distributed.

There is now a lot of signage and announcements at Tottenham Hale about moving to the front five coaches for the airport. Its almost worded as if its a short platform and the rear doors won't be opening. I've witnessed a lot of people moving down when the platform staff make announcements. I think the reason is just because the rear coaches are filled at Liverpoot Street and I'm travelling at rush hour (5.30pm) so they need people to spreadout.

But I really don't understand why they did such a half-assed refurbishment at Tottenham and left the station with those narrow platforms. They need to link up the footbridge with the station building, so you can travel from the ticket gates in the station building, behind the cafe/toilets to the new bridge area and enter the end of the platforms there. Then demolish the wall and extend the depth of the platforms to allow more space for those with luggage to wait safely.

Status
Not open for further replies.