• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do some Scottish stations have loose stone chippings on platforms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
Something I have always wondered is why is it that some stations in Scotland such as Breich, Rannoch, Upper Tyndrum, Helensburgh Upper and many other stations have platforms made from loose stone chippings with sold kerbstones?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Probably better in poor weather conditions as well. You're less likely to slip on gravel and as some of these places are unstaffed and very exposed it seems a sensible idea.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Absolutely atrocious for accessibility- gravel is less than ideal for those who can walk but have mobility issues, and it is utterly terrible for wheelchairs

InOban

Established Member
Do you speak from experience?

I would have thought that at an unmanned station, with no-one to apply salt, a wet and then frozen tarmac platform must be lethal.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
the platform edges, which must surely be the area of highest risk, are still wide concrete slabs though. I doubt the reasons have ANYTHING to do with cold weather. And no, I don't have a mobility issue myself, but I do pay attention to those who do.

the platform edges, which must surely be the area of highest risk, are still wide concrete slabs though. I doubt the reasons have ANYTHING to do with cold weather. And no, I don't have a mobility issue myself, but I do pay attention to those who do.

You're right; a bit of digging around appears to suggest it was done for cheapness and the only reason these stations are still gravel is that very few people use them so it hasn't been high up the priority list. There are lots of old pictures of cinders being used or whatever the local stone was. Tarmac wasn't used much until the early 1900s and a lot of smaller stations waited a long time for it. Access for those with mobility issues will be driving the changes now but wasn't really considered before.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Probably better in poor weather conditions as well. You're less likely to slip on gravel and as some of these places are unstaffed and very exposed it seems a sensible idea.

Yes - gravel probably helps to prevent puddles forming on uneven soil-based platform surfaces.

There are several where loose chippings show the location of the trackbed of a former bay platform. Leuchars and Montrose immediately spring to mind

Status
Not open for further replies.