• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do you want to become a train driver?

Status
Not open for further replies.

S19

I actually know how to do it, too much playing on Railworks, BVE and Microsoft Train Simulator imo. I think I actually wouldn't take as much training to get there as others would. Also, I think it was only me, the train manager and driver on the 09:55 STP to Sheffield service (14/01) that knew about the signal failure outside the Market Harborough area before anything was announced, ground to a halt and I had the thought "that couldn't be a red signal as the other train was about 15-20mins ahead" and I was right.

I think the above also points to playing too much Railworks too

That's gotta be tongue in cheek, right?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sultanofswing

I turned up in jeans to my interview. I told them I wouldnt need as much training as I spent all my time playing on simulators and did lots of trains spotting in my spare time. I didn't get the job. Maybe I should try a different approach next time :o

:lol::lol: This makes me laugh everytime, you crack me up dude........

Minilad

Established Member
I vote NathanProir as post of the month.

In my case I have always been interested in railways and trains and tried to get on BR when I left school in 79. Couldn't get on then and life took a different path but eventually I managed it in 98. While I always quite liked the idea of being a driver I was quite happy in a ticket office but then a few cases of being in the right place at the right time and here I am.
I realise the job isn't for everyone, and indeed not everyone would be cut out to do it but I would say if you have an interest in the railway then there would be no bigger thrill than getting in the seat of your favourite traction and giving it the beans. I have done that with two out of three of my favourite traction types and trust me it is a feeling you never forget (87 and HST if you were wondering, the one missing is a Deltic)

David Dunning

Nathan doesnt say how old he though.
At 13 I was doing what's known in the broadcasting trade as Bedroom FM , i dreamed of being a radio presenter and made up shows with two cassette players and jingles taken off the radio.
I got there in the end , after discovering that there was a lot learn and learning it.
But I also dreamed of being a train driver .. is it too late for me or shall i get a copy of BVE

wessex

I wanted to become a train driver as I needed a change of career, I cant do a 9-5 office job and this offered variety, good money and responsibility.

I love what I do now and hope I am lucky enough to do it till I retire :)

Status
Not open for further replies.