• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why does it take so long to get passengers off broken down trains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jozhua

Established Member
400-450 passengers were stranded on a Greater Anglia train for 5 hours today, before eventually being able to walk down the tracks to another train.

Last year, high temperatures affected power systems and many passengers were left stranded for hours in essentially greenhouses during high temperature days, with no air conditioning or opportunity to leave for fresh air.

Then, possibly the most well known incident were the passengers self evacuating at North Pole Junction last year. The RAIB report essentially points to poor planning, communication and response.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...e-junction-15-july-2019#cause-of-the-incident

I think these issues should be taken more seriously, I don't think I know many people who like the idea of being stranded on a train for a long period of time, especially not a busy one with no facilities! If responses aren't carried out in a timely way, the chance of passengers self-evacuating increases. This often results in even more delays and can require power and other lines be shut down. There is also a significant risk to the safety of all persons involved.

Personally, I think there should be a strict time limit for how long trains are stranded before passengers are moved off. Sometimes there is such an emphasis on getting the train moving again, they forget about the people trapped on board. Two hours seems reasonable to have everyone moved onto a rescue train and either taken onwards towards their destination, or back to the point of origin.

Anyways, I wonder what other people think, or happen to know about situations like this. If anyone knows if the RAIB have released recommendations yet for these incidents that would be interesting to find out too.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
We have discussed this many times before so please have a thorough read of past threads. Various people have explained why and how sometimes it is easy for delay to accumulate. It is always safer to keep people onboard up to a certain point so evacuation should never be considered unless as a last resort.

It is unworkable stipulating an absolute maximum time unless it is substantial in length, which defeats the objective of having one in the first place anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.