• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why don't the Class 345s have toilets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBlue

When I was a a semi-frequent traveller with National Express East Anglia it was a foolish expectation that the toilet equipped late night trains even had them in service!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
Most journeys on the 345s will be roughly 20 minutes long. Besides, most stations along the route will have a toilet, so you passengers go there, freeing up space for seats/standing space on the train.

This is not true for the Western end, only for the sections to Abbey Wood and Shenfield.
These trains should have a similar interior to Thameslink for services out to Reading

CBlue

This is not true for the Western end, only for the sections to Abbey Wood and Shenfield.
These trains should have a similar interior to Thameslink for services out to Reading
How long is it out to Reading on the stopping service? Surely we should fit the S stock on the metropolitan line with toilets too given the journey times possible, with that logic?

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
How long is it out to Reading on the stopping service? Surely we should fit the S stock on the metropolitan line with toilets too given the journey times possible, with that logic?

Maidenhead to Abbey Wood would be 67 minutes. I didn't pick Reading because they'd probably take a GWR fast service and change. You can see the estimated journey times here - https://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/

TfL don't have toilets on any stock they run and which may also have been a factor in their design.

CBlue

Maidenhead to Abbey Wood would be 67 minutes. I didn't pick Reading because they'd probably take a GWR fast service and change. You can see the estimated journey times here - https://www.crossrail.co.uk/route/

TfL don't have toilets on any stock they run and which may also have been a factor in their design.
Indeed - even when they ran toilet fitted Class 317/7s I understand the toilets were locked out of use.

cactustwirly

Established Member

Just over an hour from Paddington

Energy

Established Member
They would also need somewhere to empty the toilets in the depot...

Just over an hour from Paddington
Just under an hour to be pedantic. However Ealing Broadway, Slough, Maidenhead and Twyford (at least) all have toilets open all reasonable hours on the platform side of any gates should you need to have a break.

PeterC

Established Member
I know that when Maidenhead was first proposed as the western terminus there was a lot of campaigning for an extension to Reading. Be careful what you wish for!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Not this again.

Their predecessors on the east side didn’t have toilets. Neither did their predecessors.

Neither does the Piccadilly line, for example, and you can be on that for an hour and a half from North London to Heathrow.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Not this again.

Their predecessors on the east side didn’t have toilets. Neither did their predecessors.

Neither does the Piccadilly line, for example, and you can be on that for an hour and a half from North London to Heathrow.

Nor does Merseyrail, which is basically the same idea. Nor LO, which also is.

They could probably fit them in on the class 345 trains at a later date should it prove necessary for passengers to use toilets on the train.

I completely agree. Provision of public toilet facilities generally is woeful in this country, and due to the nature of who tends to get issues requiring frequent toilet use and the practicalities thereof it is discriminatory on all three of age, gender and disabililty - does anything else at all get three in one go? Yet it is overlooked.
If I cannot find a toilet I just find a suitable place to go I’m sorry but going a toilet is a human right not a luxury! You are correct as the provision of toilet facilities are poor in this country considering how rich this country is!

Last edited:

cactustwirly

Established Member
Not this again.

But the Piccadilly line doesn't run out to Reading does it...

And it's not £15 for a single journey either.
It's like saying trains to Horsham don't need toilets

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

And it's not £15 for a single journey either.

Surely distance isn't the issue but time?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Location doesn’t have anything to do with it. It’s typical journey time. Paddington to Reading is (or will be) under an hour on these trains. That’s the same as Kings Cross to Heathrow by Piccadilly. What’s the difference?

Some trains to Horsham didn’t have them. Some SWR trains to Guildford, and dare I say Reading still don’t.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Even if there were going to be trains all the way through from Reading to Shenfield you'd have to be insane to use them for the whole thing. It would always be hugely faster to go into Paddington with Great Western and out again with Greater Anglia from Stratford (obviously with a Crossrail leg in between).

cactustwirly

Established Member
Even if there were going to be trains all the way through from Reading to Shenfield you'd have to be insane to use them for the whole thing. It would always be hugely faster to go into Paddington with Great Western and out again with Greater Anglia from Stratford (obviously with a Crossrail leg in between).

Unless you live in Maidenhead for example

Established Member

Or indeed crossed legs in between.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Unless you live in Maidenhead for example
Or indeed crossed legs in between.
Indeed...

I do think a couple of toilets would have been a good idea (preferably clearly marked on the outside and on the PEDs); the point I was making was that whether there will be direct trains all the way from Reading to Shenfield is pretty irrelevant.

Established Member
While having every sympathy with those that need to use the bathroom frequently, these trains were designed pre Covid for 1500 capacity. Toilets would be a total inconvenience during crush loading, and certainly won’t be fitted retrospectively. Even at 1000 capacity by the time you joined the queue to use the toilet you’d have passed your stop.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
While having every sympathy with those that need to use the bathroom frequently, these trains were designed pre Covid for 1500 capacity. Toilets would be a total inconvenience during crush loading, and certainly won’t be fitted retrospectively. Even at 1000 capacity by the time you joined the queue to use the toilet you’d have passed your stop.

A 12-car 700 appears to have a total capacity of about 1700 according to Wiki, and that has them.

Carntyne

There's no DDA issue as there aren't any toilets. If there was a standard or "space saver" toilet and no DDA compliant one, then you'd have a point.

On Moderation
As per the sign at Ipswich:

“Toilets closed, we apologise for the inconvenience”
"We apologise for the inconvenience of this convenience being closed. We hope you are not too inconvenienced."

Status
Not open for further replies.