• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why don't the TOCS create accounts on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Economist

I haven't seen this question asked before on RailUK Forums, so I thought I'd ask. How come the TOCs themselves don't create accounts in the Railway Jobs and Careers section?

The reason I ask this is that I also use PPRuNe, which is a pilot's forum. Both the RAF and HR staff at BA have used accounts to occasionally answer questions relating to their application processes and training and to confirm/deny the occasional rumour. Their input is generally very well received and they don't get any grief from the forum members.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ComUtoR

Established Member
Probably because they have no need to. They have their own bespoke websites with bespoke application processes.

There are many staff members on this forum and many regularly post in the jobs and careers section. They are just not always clearly identified as staff.

Jonfun

Established Member
It's also important to remember that TOC recruitment teams are often woefully understaffed, without being expected to trawl forums for occasional relevant posts. The recruitment team at our place is one full time member of staff and one part time, and I genuinely have sympathy for them considering the workload they're expected to attend to.

Andy-mc

you'd be surprised, I seem to remember in one of the threads for a driver job a couple years ago someone joined in who sounded like they were involved with the recruitment process, they could have just been someone posing as as an insider but they answered a few questions which no one els could have known.
so it can happen its just probably very rare

Gemz91

I'd guess the majority of TOC's recruitment departments are ran by people who have no idea that this website exists.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
If they did, the mainline staff input on this forum would dry up immediately.
We all have to be careful of social media policies; it's sensible not to identify who you work for, etc, so as not to be picked up by the software many companies use to monitor the web.

teslatech

If they did, the mainline staff input on this forum would dry up immediately.
We all have to be careful of social media policies; it's sensible not to identify who you work for, etc, so as not to be picked up by the software many companies use to monitor the web.
Coming from the outside its been my impression the train companies are more sensitive to social media and really don't want there staff talking. I wonder why that is?

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

ooo

Coming from the outside its been my impression the train companies are more sensitive to social media and really don't want there staff talking. I wonder why that is?

To Stop their companies being portrayed negatively?

teslatech

To Stop their companies being portrayed negatively?
Yeah I guess, but I work for a big retail company and they don't go to the effort that TOCs seem to. But they to obviously have an image and reputation to protect.

theironroad

Established Member

Probably because the media, especially some of the print media, seem to have a unrelenting desire to jump on each and every negative item of railway news they can find.

Surreytraveller

On Moderation
And people in the recruitment department generally haven't got a clue about the railway or the jobs they are recruiting to.

Established Member
Haha, there's at least two railway managers (of mild importance) on here... was messaged by one on FB some time ago, winding me up 'guess who's watching your posts...?' :)

Saltire

I'm pretty sure that Freightliner HR had an account (can't remember if it was HH or Intermodal) but they did post occasional updates on their recruitment process

red2005

Can't see why they'd need to. There's plenty of information on the company websites......and very often the FAQ sections of the websites answer most queries relating to recruitment etc anyway.

And hey don't go putting ideas like that forward! this is the one place we can air our moaning freely without being watched that much lol!!!!!!! ;)

Lou92

It's also important to remember that TOC recruitment teams are often woefully understaffed, without being expected to trawl forums for occasional relevant posts. The recruitment team at our place is one full time member of staff and one part time, and I genuinely have sympathy for them considering the workload they're expected to attend to.

They ought to recruit more staff so that they can recruit more staff! :)

richw

Veteran Member
It could be good or bad PR, wouldn't hurt to have the social media team using forums as after all they are social media.
First Southwest (bus) are here and interact well on the bus thread answering enthusiast queries.

BestWestern

Established Member
It could be good or bad PR, wouldn't hurt to have the social media team using forums as after all they are social media.
First Southwest (bus) are here and interact well on the bus thread answering enthusiast queries.

Most who come here are enthusaists though, the general public tend only to appear on the Prosecutions & Disputes page when they've fallen foul. There is very limited value in joining in with discussions with railfans, because they tend either to know the score already, be asking technical questions the TOCs don't have time to answer, or to be peddling froth & wibble! For those who have genuine, 'travelling public' type questions, there are the Twitter/Facebook etc routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.