• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why is it Called Wellington SALOP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
This similar theme seems to surface on here now and again - I still haven't managed to buy my Whitchurch to Whitchurch via Whitchurch ticket yet and unsure as to which Whitchurch it will commence at, which Whitchurch will be the via point and which Whitchurch the destination will be.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
Wellington (Salop) and Wellington (Som) were both on the old Great Western, and were known as such in old times. Errors always seemed to increase when both the duplicate names were on the same railway. The porters at the two stations were well used to sending telegrams to the other that parcels (principally) had arrived at the wrong one.

paulb1973

In the Crewe area - it is really Shropshire Goods Junction, or it is known locally as 'Salop' Goods Junction ?!

Spamcan81

Okay, I get that, sorry I should have explained more.

How is "Salop" an abbreivation of Shropshire?
There's no A or L in Shropshire.

For example, as someone has pointed out above, you have Lancs for Lancashire, Leics for Leicestershire, Lincs for Lincolnshire, so why SALOP as apposed to Shrops?

Only ever seen it on the railway.

The abbreviation for Oxfordshire is Oxon but no N in Oxfordshire.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Preston Lancs is there so people can't turn it into Preston Park or Prestonpans by buying a ticket to Preston and then printing over it ;)

It's the same reason that Shipley is Shipley Yorks, because the P in SHIPLEY could very easily become an R for SHIRLEY.
Some locations used to end in a full stop for similar reasons.n appear on tickets.

But Chester is not Chester Cheshire, even though there are the similar Chesterfield, Chester Road and Chester-Le-Street.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
But Chester is not Chester Cheshire, even though there are the similar Chesterfield, Chester Road and Chester-Le-Street.

Chester is covered by being printed as 'CHESTER *' on tickets, to prevent written-in extension.

Warwick

Okay, I get that, sorry I should have explained more.

How is "Salop" an abbreivation of Shropshire?
There's no A or L in Shropshire.

For example, as someone has pointed out above, you have Lancs for Lancashire, Leics for Leicestershire, Lincs for Lincolnshire, so why SALOP as apposed to Shrops?

Only ever seen it on the railway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shropshire

nr758123

I wonder how many French speakers live in Salop.
I did a French O level, but I've since moved away. Salop was not a word I used in the French oral exam, but I was aware of its French meaning, not least because at the time there was some debate about changing the official county name back to Shropshire. Apparently our continental friends found it amusing that there was a place called Salop, and this was hampering efforts to attract inward investment.

Apparently there's a village just outside Salzburg which the English find a source of amusement, but there's probably something in the forum rules that says I shouldn't name it here.

Calthrop

Established Member
And 'Northants' has the T and the N in the wrong order, from Northamptonshire.

Mixture of knowledge, and guesswork, re the above: I suspect that "Northants" for Northamptonshire, was modelled on the earlier-existing "Hants" for Hampshire. "Hampshire" of course, contains no N: according to Wiki, "Hants" comes from the county's name about a millennium ago, as per the Domesday Book -- Hantescire. Neither "Northants" nor "Hants" are particularly logical name-forms nowadays; especially as Hampshire's county town at the present day, is Winchester -- I believe it was Southampton (giving at least the "ha" bit) in former times.

Veteran Member
Mixture of knowledge, and guesswork, re the above: I suspect that "Northants" for Northamptonshire, was modelled on the earlier-existing "Hants" for Hampshire. "Hampshire" of course, contains no N: according to Wiki, "Hants" comes from the county's name about a millennium ago, as per the Domesday Book -- Hantescire. Neither "Northants" nor "Hants" are particularly logical name-forms nowadays; especially as Hampshire's county town at the present day, is Winchester -- I believe it was Southampton (giving at least the "ha" bit) in former times.

Fairly sure -hanton is an old form in both county and town names.

Status
Not open for further replies.