• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why is the French name for Brussel-Zuid not Bruxelles-Sud?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireless

Exact, Henri Van De Velde. And we have also been the only ones allowed to use our logo in EVNs.
According to the ERA (https://www.era.europa.eu/registers_en#vkm), the official Vehicle Keeper Marking of the NMBS/SNCB/NGBE (nationalr railway company of belgium) is just the letter "B".
The NMBS/SNCB/NGBE (National Railway Company of Belgium) just happens to use a font that makes the letter "B" look like their logo.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
It might also be relevant that French is the default foreign language taught in most UK schools, being both the nearest neighbour and a country where, when travelling there, some effort is appreciated. Whereas learning Dutch can be a challenge because they won't let you speak it, they will insist on English! :)
It annoys me that!! I was in a Manchester bar on Thursday and a group of Brugge fans were in before the game so I managed to greet them in Dutch and ask where were they staying...and the little sods replied in perfect English. Give - us - a -chance, we might be crap but we can only get better if we practice!!

Struner

I’ve always tried to use Dutch when speaking to “non-natives” as soon as they had the very basics. It’s the best way to learn! Though I must admit that I have used (& still use at times) our local dialect with a colleague from Ostfriesland, as it is fairly similar.

sheff1

Established Member
When visiting the Netherlands I soon found that any attempt to converse in Dutch invariably resulted in a response in English, usually of better standard than I often encountered in the UK.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.