• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why is the UK completely incapable of treating public transport as a whole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Llandudno

Established Member
I am not a fan of Nationalising public transport, I can remember the era before bus deregulation and British Rail privatisation.

But I can see bus franchising happening in the future as post Covid, many bus services and networks will be unsustainable.

This could be the ideal opportunity to integrate and hopefully improve public transport provision as well as through ticketing across modes. Usual sticking point though - money!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RT4038

Established Member
I am not even sure if nationalizing all transport would be the answer either.

By itself, it is unlikely to be the answer, because the answer requires considerable extra subsidies and a complete change of thinking and attitude by both the Rail and Bus industries, Local authorities and the Treasury. Likely?
Those countries (few in number) that have integrated transport will likely have strictly regulated their bus networks to be rail feeders since the invention of buses. They probably also have invested much more in the resilience of punctuality of their rail services. None of them will have minimum subsidies as the goal.

tbtc

Veteran Member
It could be that the size of the UK doesn't make co-ordination simple - it's easy to look at smaller countries like the Netherlands and Switzerland (and, it always seems to be those two - plus Germany - that people fixate on...) but it'd be much easier to organise/ co-ordinate things in a smaller country

But if people will keep focussing on the best countries then it's easy to find flaws in what the UK does - I don't see the same level of people suggesting we copy Spain/ France/ Italy - so is it more the case that one large country (Germany) seems to do public transport better than average, so that's the stick that the UK keeps being beaten with?

That said, beyond the political obsession with the NHS, the Great British Public seem fairly ambivalent about well funded public services - we treat our health service as a religion but don't seem particularly bothered about any other public services (or paying for them that highly). In some ways, the railway is one of the best bits of the UK public sector (given how well funded it is, how little it's been affected by austerity etc) - if you think our railways are bad (despite the "gold plated" bits) then see how threadbare things like Prisons are.

Another issue is that integration is often unpopular. To use an example local to me, when the Metro began to run between Gateshead and Newcastle, buses which had ran direct into Newcastle city centre (and often beyond) were curtailed at Gateshead Interchange, with passengers having to transfer for onward travel. Whilst this was more efficient and probably faster for many journeys, it was wildly unpopular and was eventually reversed.

Fair point!

It's often the same people on here that demand direct long distance rail links (whether that's everywhere in northern England to Manchester Airport each hour or everywhere on the BR "Cross Country" map to everywhere else on the BR "Cross Country" map each day - and talk about the importance of putting small places "on the map" by giving them regular train services to London) because "people don't like to change"...

...who also seem to think that passengers should be happy to lose their direct bus service into the city centre (and instead take a bus that will terminate at a suburban tram/train station, where they can change). In terms of attractive journeys, the bus into the nearest city is a journey you could make hundreds of times a year, whereas a journey like Newcastle - Manchester Airport or Brighton - Liverpool is the kind of journey you might make once a year - I know which I'd prioritise.

Comes down to political will on all sides. I do not want to union bash as it takes the thread OT - but - if I have my car with no worries about the unions disrupting things, it makes a huge difference that feeling of freedom. I just wish the Governments etc. could negotiate a no-strike/disruption deal with the unions. That would help public transport and thus the integration of the various forms.

The industrial relations one is interesting - I don't know whether British unions are more likely to threaten to strike than continental ones (and, threats of strike are probably a more significant metric than actual days lost to strikes, given the impact upon bosses and passengers who are anticipating being unable to travel), but if that is the case then I guess there's the argument that some bodies would be less willing to take on"troublesome" organisations (e.g. would a train company want to take responsibility for an apparently militant bus company, given the potential headaches and disruption that they would taking on responsibility for)?

Quite so. The number of passengers coming to town for work or shops would have greatly outnumbered those desiring interchange. Therein lies the nub of the problem replicated in so many towns and cities across the country - integration would mean loads of near empty buses travelling to railway stations (awkwardly sited for local transport networks) and running at times optimised for the railway timetable rather than local needs. (The bus to North Petherton departing 40 minutes after the shops have shut in order to connect with the express from London, whose time is governed by train pathing at Ealing Broadway....... Coupled to the fact that this train is late 3 days out of 5....)

Great points - I think that a site full of train enthusiasts often over-inflates how important trains are - you could run a local bus network so that everything served the local train station and all buses were co-ordinated with train arrivals/departures, but that's real "tail wagging the dog" stuff.

Plus there's the issue that our railways were built haphazardly by Victorian entrepreneurs, so often located far from the main shopping area that bus passengers are bothered about (compared to countries that planned their railways properly and ensured that they had better stations in the centres of towns). In a lot of places, the geography makes serving the train station a bit unattractive for bus services. Can't change that now, of course, but it may explain why it's not easy/desirable for local bus networks to be predominantly built around the whims of a train timetable.

SteveM70

Established Member
Another issue is that integration is often unpopular. To use an example local to me, when the Metro began to run between Gateshead and Newcastle, buses which had ran direct into Newcastle city centre (and often beyond) were curtailed at Gateshead Interchange, with passengers having to transfer for onward travel. Whilst this was more efficient and probably faster for many journeys, it was wildly unpopular and was eventually reversed.

How much of that do you think was a failure to “sell the benefits” rather than a failure of the system itself?

Nowadays, with a more established green lobby, Metro expansion, and IT developments that could easily support fully integrated ticketing, do you think it would be better received?

RT4038

Established Member
How much of that do you think was a failure to “sell the benefits” rather than a failure of the system itself?

Nowadays, with a more established green lobby, Metro expansion, and IT developments that could easily support fully integrated ticketing, do you think it would be better received?

It is very difficult to 'sell the benefits' of a system that was clearly worse than that which had gone before - namely through buses to Newcastle City Centre, rather than changing at Gateshead onto a metro train for the last (short) section of the journey (or probably more importantly in the opposite direction, where each bus service did not run as frequently as metro services.) There was integrated ticketing. What would an established green lobby help? What was being expected of the passengers was obviously inferior. [if the metro journey had been further maybe a different story?]

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

I think improvements in ticketing might help sell the idea, but people like the convenience of being able to head into Newcastle without changing. Changing modes, even in fairly high quality interchanges like those found across Tyne and Wear, is really rather unpopular. This applies doubly so because of the short journeys concerned - much of Gateshead town is only a couple of miles from the centre of Newcastle, so we expect to be able to travel there without any changes.

Another issue is the lack of proper integrated ticketing for journeys which cross the county boundary. For travel from most of Newcastle city centre (such as Grainger Street) to Ashington, it is faster to take a Metro to Regent Centre and change there, rather than heading to Haymarket. Despite this, almost all passengers just opt for taking the bus all the way, because it is much cheaper. There is no equivalent of the "outboundary Travelcard", and while transfer fare exist within the county you can't buy one to destinations in Northumberland or Durham. There were proposals to bring areas outside of Tyne and Wear into new zones, but these were too radical and involved full franchising, so never went anywhere.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Firstly, it’s a rather sweeping statement that the U.K. is completely incapable of treating public transport as a whole. London has a public transport network that is reasonably well integrated, and is certainly up in the top division of public transport systems world wide. Yes there could be improvements at the margins, but, frankly, not much.

Other cities / city regions are trying to head the same way; I remember buying a day tripper on a bus in west Wolverhampton 32 years ago, and travelling across the West Midlands by bus and train on a pretty seamless network.

However what does frustrate me is the lack of co-ordination outside the big cities; in particular the seeming difficulty to introduce through ticketing between rail and bus for key flows - it can be done and is, but very rarely. If some key non-rail served destinations were in the rail planning systems, with through fares, and a decent timetable, I’m convinced many would see a significant improvement in custom for essentially no outlay.

Taunton

Established Member
Just to give two contrasting overseas examples to the initial premise, in New York the well-known Subway is far worse than Britain (in fact, anything in Europe I recall) for patchy coverage, lines running close to one another both in the centre and out to the suburbs, while also leaving vast areas of the city unserved at all.

Meanwhile, the good old Soviet Union planned economy built standardised, grossly spartan bus stations in towns large and medium-sized, seemingly always far from any railway station.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Firstly, it’s a rather sweeping statement that the U.K. is completely incapable of treating public transport as a whole. London has a public transport network that is reasonably well integrated, and is certainly up in the top division of public transport systems world wide. Yes there could be improvements at the margins, but, frankly, not much.

I would say the thing about London not being well integrated is that fares are separate: If you don't have a travelcard and you need to make a journey partly by bus and partly by train, you'll have to pay separately for the bus and train portions as if they were independent journeys - which makes mixed-mode journeys pretty expensive. I can recall a number of times when I've avoid a mixed-mode journey in London for precisely that reason, even when it would've easily been the quickest route. As far as I can tell from a bit of experimenting, the TfL journey planner doesn't seem too good at identifying mixed mode journeys either - it tends to suggest entirely bus or entirely rail.

I'll give you that TfL is fairly reasonable when it comes to routing buses so they stop near the main interchange rail stations though.

SuperNova

From my experience, some PTE's have wild ideas that don't and won't work. I've heard WYCA want tram trains on the main transpennine route for example - bonkers.

route:oxford

Established Member
I can see the benefits.

All the bus and coach services that run in competition with the railways could be swiftly ended, helping to push passengers back onto the railways with their generally higher fares.

Just think of the wasted duplication that could go. The intensive M8 services between Glasgow and Edinburgh, the frequent services between Glasgow and Aberdeen.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I can see the benefits.

All the bus and coach services that run in competition with the railways could be swiftly ended, helping to push passengers back onto the railways with their generally higher fares.

Just think of the wasted duplication that could go. The intensive M8 services between Glasgow and Edinburgh, the frequent services between Glasgow and Aberdeen.

In most cases that wouldn't be possible though. Take the X39 and X40 in Oxfordshire as an example - those routes run between Oxford and Reading, but don't seriously compete with the train - they take over an hour longer. The bus routes are mostly there to serve intermediate stops, and also run direct between town centres (not quite an issue with Oxford and Reading, but some stations are less convenient for where most passengers want to be)

Spoorslag '70

But if people will keep focussing on the best countries then it's easy to find flaws in what the UK does - I don't see the same level of people suggesting we copy Spain/ France/ Italy - so is it more the case that one large country (Germany) seems to do public transport better than average, so that's the stick that the UK keeps being beaten with?
Just to be (maybe too pedantic?), public transport in Germany is quite varied with many areas (even those with a "Verkehrsverbund" (basicly a PTE)) lack any integration as per timetables etc. There are some regions where the system feels almost Dutch (e.g. Munich and it's Landkreis (but no so much the rest of the Munich region)) whilst others are comparable - if not far worse - to what I concieve as the British standard, a nice example might be the area around Wesel (quite ok-ish train service, some trunk bus routes and a lot of random bits&bobs without nice and proper connections)

TUC

Established Member
It is clear that a single network (with choices within it where this makes sense, e.g. coach vs. train for trunk journeys) would work far better to battle the car. So why do we continue to reject this?
Is it clear? Competition between rail operators has led to far better deals for many passengers than BR offered. Monopolies (and, even in competition with thr car, it would still be a public transport monopoly) have little incentive to be efficient

AlbertBeale

Established Member
AlbertBeale said:

I live somewhere where only a minority of people have access to a private car; those of us in the majority don't see cars as anything to do with freedom and liberty. We see them as symbols of a better-off minority behaving selfishly and oppressively and - in effect - "stealing" time from the rest of us, since any speeding up of their journeys [where this exists - it's often illusory] is done by slowing down travel for the rest of us. (And, besides slowing us down, it worsens our physical and mental health.)

Remember that, in many urban situations, a trip in a private car represent a lessening of mobility for society as a whole; the time saved by the car driver is more than outweighed by the total time lost by everyone else affected by that journey.

That's just not true. We live in inner London, possibly even closer to the centre, and all of us in our little square have cars. All. A few cars stay here all day of course, but really only those commuting to Zone 1 use the train (DLR in our case). Despite being surrounded by frequent bus routes, apart from the teenage kids going to school none of us use them (nor do many others it seems, looking inside at the loads). There are several car trips we do of 10 minutes that would take more than an hour, each way, by public transport. And I'm someone who would know their way about the system more than most.

I think a good number of single people may not have cars, but among families, even in London, it's definitely the majority.

Comments about us all here as a "better-off minority behaving selfishly and oppressively" really are a bit inappropriate, if not just jealousy.

Firstly, you're confusing families/households with people. In some places, even looking at households/families, a majority are car-free. (Where I live for instance.) But even in areas where a majority of households/families has a private vehicle, in most cases there are far fewer vehicles than individual people. So, for instance, if one member of a household commutes in a car, the rest of the household don't have access to it.

A tiny fraction of actual journeys in London taking place at any one moment are by car; there are far more people on foot, on buses, on bikes, in tubes, etc than those in a car. Yet the car drivers take up a disproportionate amount of resources - both physical resources and simply space. Even in places where most people have access to a car, most movement, at any time, is by other means. I don't think that calling car users in London selfish is inappropriate. In almost all cases they're putting their desires ahead of the needs of the community and of the ecosystem.

I don't understand the relevance of "jealousy" in this context.

Taunton

Established Member
So, for instance, if one member of a household commutes in a car, the rest of the household don't have access to it.

A tiny fraction of actual journeys in London taking place at any one moment are by car
Well with us, if I am going off in the car I commonly have three of us. School first (3 miles, needs 15 minute walk to station then 3 separate trains), then on the next dropoff, which I'm passing anyway, then I continue.

If you look at proper travel pattern mapping for London, not the TfL fiction (remember they are a commercial organisation trying to push their revenue-charging transport - do not confuse them with an impartial public service) then in London car is No 1 outside Zone 1, and dominates for journeys outside Zone 2.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm no Thatcherite, but it was poor before 40 years ago too. Governments which didn't follow that mantra did nothing to make it better.

Indeed. Even when there was one British Transport Commission that ran both BR and the buses, they weren't integrated. We have literally never been able to do it properly.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This got my late father livid - but Preston. About 1969-1970 the old bus station was demolished and a new one which is fairly famous (for the wrong reasons imho) was built about 300 metres away. The exact and I mean the exact opposite end of the town to the railway station. At the time Preston Railway station was being modified with the old Lancs and Yorks railway station being removed etc. That was the ideal time to build the bus station there. Currently there is a huge shopping center and car park there. That was the perfect time to rebuild the bus station next to the railway station. But no - opposite end of the town. Absolutely crazy planning and no thought or planning at all. CRAZY

Preston bus station is an odd one in that it's not only at the opposite end of the town but also in a no more convenient place for the town centre than the railway station is (so not like Taunton, as mentioned above) - most people just use the on-street stops. While I accept the present bus station is listed (which of course doesn't require it to actually be used as a bus station, just not be knocked down), it would make more sense to move it to the railway station end as at least it'd serve some purpose then, there's plenty of parking land it could be built on, with the quantity of parking retained by conversion to multi-storey.

Lancaster is another interesting one, it has a nice fancy new bus station...which is also nowhere near where anyone wants to go, what I think most people consider the "bus station" is the set of stops down the side of Primark - indeed for a long time I thought it was too! (That set of stops, going more on topic, is reasonably convenient for the railway station). To be fair the old one (now converted into an ugly block of flats) wasn't in a useful place either.

TBH, given the vintage of the Fishergate Centre I'm really rather surprised that didn't incorporate one.

Last edited:

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Well with us, if I am going off in the car I commonly have three of us. School first (3 miles, needs 15 minute walk to station then 3 separate trains), then on the next dropoff, which I'm passing anyway, then I continue.

If you look at proper travel pattern mapping for London, not the TfL fiction (remember they are a commercial organisation trying to push their revenue-charging transport - do not confuse them with an impartial public service) then in London car is No 1 outside Zone 1, and dominates for journeys outside Zone 2.

Perhaps you're only looking at powered trips and not including, eg, trips made on foot. Or perhaps you're counting something other than the number of trips, which I was referring to.

In recent years, the total number of trips made by people in London overall (classified by main mode of transport on a given trip) has been around one-third in private cars (including passengers). In central areas, the proportion by car is of course much less than this. The distances travelled by different modes are obviously not the same proportions, since some modes are typically more commonly used for different distances or periods1, and they're at different speeds.

Incidentally, a 3-mile trip to school should be easily cyclable; and in any case, it's a sign of fragmented communities [which private transport just encourages in the first place] if children aren't in a local school less than 3 miles away from their home.

And my other points remain. At any one moment, in London (especially in inner London), only a small proportion of those people out and moving around are in a private car. You just have to look! Yet space and facilities and resources are disproportionately given over to cars - massively so. (And that's without taking into account the majority of cars which are - at any time - not moving, yet many of which are consuming public space, to the detriment of all of us.) The time saving made by someone driving a car is, in many cases, balanced or even outweighed by the loss of time by others upon whom that journey impinges; in other words, much car use involves a "theft" of time, from others, by the car user. That seems to me to be reasonably described as selfish.

RT4038

Established Member
Perhaps you're only looking at powered trips and not including, eg, trips made on foot. Or perhaps you're counting something other than the number of trips, which I was referring to.

In recent years, the total number of trips made by people in London overall (classified by main mode of transport on a given trip) has been around one-third in private cars (including passengers). In central areas, the proportion by car is of course much less than this. The distances travelled by different modes are obviously not the same proportions, since some modes are typically more commonly used for different distances or periods1, and they're at different speeds.

Incidentally, a 3-mile trip to school should be easily cyclable; and in any case, it's a sign of fragmented communities [which private transport just encourages in the first place] if children aren't in a local school less than 3 miles away from their home.

And my other points remain. At any one moment, in London (especially in inner London), only a small proportion of those people out and moving around are in a private car. You just have to look! Yet space and facilities and resources are disproportionately given over to cars - massively so. (And that's without taking into account the majority of cars which are - at any time - not moving, yet many of which are consuming public space, to the detriment of all of us.) The time saving made by someone driving a car is, in many cases, balanced or even outweighed by the loss of time by others upon whom that journey impinges; in other words, much car use involves a "theft" of time, from others, by the car user. That seems to me to be reasonably described as selfish.

How does this answer or contribute to the OP 's question? [Why ...... ?]

Andyh82

Established Member
Its interesting that when talking about integrated transport most people have taken it to mean the physical location of bus and train stations, and not integrated fares or timetables

A0wen

On Moderation
It is very difficult to 'sell the benefits' of a system that was clearly worse than that which had gone before - namely through buses to Newcastle City Centre, rather than changing at Gateshead onto a metro train for the last (short) section of the journey (or probably more importantly in the opposite direction, where each bus service did not run as frequently as metro services.) There was integrated ticketing. What would an established green lobby help? What was being expected of the passengers was obviously inferior. [if the metro journey had been further maybe a different story?]

It probably shouldn't have been a surprise that such a change was met with 'consumer resistance' - London had tried something similar about 10 years earlier with shorter bus routes which then put passengers onto the tube and ended up reversing it.

It's the age old problem of experts who want to make a name for themselves, being able to demonstrate models and concepts which simply don't translate into reality. The main reason being a massive over-optimism where changing human behaviour is concerned.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Its interesting that when talking about integrated transport most people have taken it to mean the physical location of bus and train stations, and not integrated fares or timetables

Indeed. This discussion partly came out of discussion of the Penrith-Keswick X4/X5, which actually does stop right outside the station (and Penrith is another place where the railway station would not be a good place to put the bus station as it's a bit out of town) but isn't in the railway timetabling or ticketing system - the simple act of adding it to both would be a big improvement.

A0wen

On Moderation

Arrant nonsense - this is the kind of Dave Spart / Wolfie Smith rubbish that went out of fashion in the late 70s.

Parents choose schools for a multitude of reasons - who are you to say that they have to choose a school within 3 miles of their home just because it's "close by" - and don't go peddling the old "community cohesiveness" bollocks because there's no guarantee a local school results in community cohesiveness.

And in many non-urban areas secondary schools are more than 3 miles away and always have been. I don't mean North Yorkshire or Cornwall - how about Hertfordshire ? Take a place like Whitwell - a village in North Herts, Hitchin just over 6 miles away, Luton about 8 miles away, Welwyn Garden City or Harpenden 7 miles away, Stevenage about 8 miles (much less as the crow flies but there's no direct route) - that's where the nearest secondary schools are and always have been.

nlogax

Established Member
What is it that makes the UK terminally incapable of..

I could end that sentence a thousand different ways! We seem to have lost the knack of doing -so- much to any degree of real competency.

..getting the idea that public transport should be seen as a whole, and not as a set of distinct and competing operations and modes?

Our transport system was built on siloes. Even with mergers, grouping and then British Rail any drive towards integration was localised to large cities, or languid at best (parkway stations, Motorail etc). Bus deregulation and rail privatisation set things back even further. My view is that our travel habits just aligned to those siloes and to a large extent that hasn't changed too much. It's also never helped that road and rail have always been set against each other in terms of funding and perception. Want to go somewhere that's even a little bit off the beaten track? Take the car, don't faff about by train and bus if you don't have to. While there's no orchestration of fares or a nationwide alignment of bus timetables to trains services, anything but the car will continue to be a time consuming faff.

In addition to planning such a widespread and national integration, we need both carrot and stick. 'Build it and they will come' won't work on its own.

The time saving made by someone driving a car is, in many cases, balanced or even outweighed by the loss of time by others upon whom that journey impinges; in other words, much car use involves a "theft" of time, from others, by the car user. That seems to me to be reasonably described as selfish.
I have no idea of how you worked out your "theft" of time theory, but might I suggest you get out of London into the areas that makes up the majority of the country, and see how the rest of us have to get around. I used to work in London finishing after midnight often at 2am regularly, and never felt selfish about having to use my car or motorcycle. When you have what is possibly the best transport system in the entire UK, it is easy to despise those of us who by necessity have to use private transport, but please don't accuse us of the theft of other people's time or of being selfish.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Indeed. Even when there was one British Transport Commission that ran both BR and the buses, they weren't integrated. We have literally never been able to do it properly.

The BTC also had road freight (BRS) and canals, but they sold off or deregulated BRS and the bus system within about 5 years.
BEA and BOAC were also government owned, but quite separate from land transport.
I think the total system was deemed unmanageable, and costs were spiralling out of control (as they continued to do with rail until Beeching).
Rail was by far the biggest sector and had the most intractable problems (high fixed costs, inflexible working practices, self-perpetuating bureaucracy etc).

Inter-war was a period when railways could own other transport modes - ships, airlines, buses.
The LMS certainly had quite a sizeable bus portfolio including Crosville, and even a small airline.
This was more along the lines of what Canadian Pacific became - a powerful transport conglomerate.
The railways were forced to divest buses before WW2 on competition grounds.

Last edited:

RT4038

Established Member

Other cities / city regions are trying to head the same way; I remember buying a day tripper on a bus in west Wolverhampton 32 years ago, and travelling across the West Midlands by bus and train on a pretty seamless network.

However what does frustrate me is the lack of co-ordination outside the big cities; in particular the seeming difficulty to introduce through ticketing between rail and bus for key flows - it can be done and is, but very rarely. If some key non-rail served destinations were in the rail planning systems, with through fares, and a decent timetable, I’m convinced many would see a significant improvement in custom for essentially no outlay.

The London public transport network is one of the best examples of ticketing and route integration in this country, although I would suggest that there is virtually no integration of timetables, and National Rail services are less integrated than those controlled by TfL. Northern Ireland is fairly good too, but actual timetable integration between bus and rail is a bit patchy (and bus/bus is not always brilliant either!)

So why doesn't through ticketing happen 'outside the big cities' ?
1. Putting your bus service into the rail journey planning system is a straightjacket - can only change once every six months (on set dates) and a long lead time for data entry. These dates may (will?) not correspond with the dates that the local bus network is revised (beginning of new school year etc), which would mean multiple schedules/rotas etc. Bus company planning horizons are just not the length of those in rail, and the financial imperatives to operate profitably in a completely different league. It is true that some bus links have been(are in) in the rail system, but many have fallen out and I would suggest that falling foul of these data requirements is one of the reasons.
2. The ticket/fare setting system of Rail is completely different to the bus industry, and through fares immediately brings this into conflict and compromises are required. Note that these compromises will always be at the bus company's expense. Fares schemes / offers (railcards/priv tickets etc) that are appropriate to Rail may not be appropriate to the bus company. The bus company is going to have to employ a fairly specialist person to negotiate this minefield. Will the extra revenue really justify this? Currently bus companies feel that they are at the poor end of the revenue share out from through tickets.
3. Delay repay. Bus companies certainly do not want to be liable for delays of connecting buses to rail services, and the whole 'industry' surrounding this is an expense that no bus company wants to be footing.

I am not sure that any through ticketing system is 'essentially no outlay' unless there is 'essentially no revenue'. Quite what you mean by a 'decent timetable' [if the current one is not decent then here is outlay in making it decent] and the administration of data to the rail timetable system and fares database is no small job. This may be petty cash in the rail industry, but this just highlights the huge gulf between the rail and bus financials !

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Take a place like Whitwell - a village in North Herts, Hitchin just over 6 miles away, Luton about 8 miles away, Welwyn Garden City or Harpenden 7 miles away, Stevenage about 8 miles (much less as the crow flies but there's no direct route) - that's where the nearest secondary schools are and always have been.

Easily cyclable ;) I do it every week! Albeit the hills out at a bit, err, steep.

urbophile

Established Member
Yes. And part of the answer to 'why' is the Thatcherite deregulation of bus services. Here in Merseyside the PTE (is it still called that?) attempts to provide timetable information and integrated ticketing ... slowly, incredibly slowly, moving towards an Oyster-style system. But although there are some region-wide, all modes tickets, the individual bus companies and even the local-authority controlled Merseyrail persist with their own company-only tickets. The occasional user of public transport is likely to be so confused, and probably fleeced, that they are not likely to return in a hurry. As for timetables, there is a vast difference between the profitable routes with a frequent and sometimes 24-hr service, and the subsidised ones where you are lucky to find any bus at all after about 19.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.