• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why The Obsession With Electric cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EM2

Established Member
Electric cars are nowhere near viable for a journey like yesterdays (including over kirkstone to 1500').
It's 130 miles round trip. Well within the capabilities of a number of electric cars.
If you look at https://www.zap-map.com/live/ you can see all the public chargers available. I count about two dozen on on near your route. There's even one in Glenridding itself.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ken H

On Moderation
It's 130 miles round trip. Well within the capabilities of a number of electric cars.
even hilly? Its a long long drag from Windermere to the top. Has anyone actually ever driven an electric car on the lakeland passes?

I did consider coming home through Penrith, A66 to kirky Stephen and over Mallerstang/Aisgill, down to Garsdale head, up and over to hawes, then over Newby Moss to Settle then home. Would my battery have lasted?

or would I need a hybrid and drag 1/2 ton of useless battery up all those hills?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
There's no doubt that easy access to cars has enabled a lot of activities in the last 50-70 years which weren't possible when people had to rely on trains and buses. It's also hit rural buses in particular very hard, so that the public transport in rural areas that don't happen to have a railway is generally far worse than in the heyday of the bus in the mid-20th century. And it's undoubtedly true that many people suffer from the mass use of cars, particularly those who live in urban areas and suffer from accidents, congestion and pollution while often not needing to run a car themselves as urban public transport may still be good enough to meet their needs.

But for reasons including CO2, local emissions and shortage of fossil fuels the petrol or diesel car will be largely extinct by the middle of this century. There will be some mix of battery and hydrogen replacements, but on their own these do not solve the congestion problem and only partly solve the pollution problem (still particulates from tyres). I hope also there will be things like better cycling facilities and integrated public transport with greater capacity and frequency, along with land use planning that connects housing and employment better to those faciilities, and that together these will cater for most people's mobility needs. However, particularly if the cars happen and the other measures don't, some may find their lifestyle choices are no longer viable or at least much more costly.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
even hilly?
Yes. On the downward bits, you retard the vehicle almost entirely using regeneration (rather than wasting heat in brakes) and so, give or take system efficiency losses, you get back the excess you use when going upwards. I guess that it's in excess of 80%. Last year when I drove across the dales from Lancaster to York via Settle (and up the stupidly steep hill at the back of that town), Pateley Bridge and so on - my "fuel" consumption was around average for my general use of the vehicle in more "normal" terrain in summer - about 5 miles per kWh.

Last edited:

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
Has anyone ever come up with a viable clockwork car ? The winding mechanism could be designed to provide valuable exercise and combat the obesity crisis and for those unable to wind up their own mainsprings winding points could be provided where people could be gainfully employed as wind up merchants.

Ken H

On Moderation
Has anyone ever come up with a viable clockwork car ? The winding mechanism could be designed to provide valuable exercise and combat the obesity crisis and for those unable to wind up their own mainsprings winding points could be provided where people could be gainfully employed as wind up merchants.
used to be a guy near here had welded a big yellow key on the back of his 2cv!

dgl

Established Member
Well there were the French prototypes that ran on compressed air, you just need a good foot pump :D

ninja-lewis

even hilly? Its a long long drag from Windermere to the top. Has anyone actually ever driven an electric car on the lakeland passes?

I did consider coming home through Penrith, A66 to kirky Stephen and over Mallerstang/Aisgill, down to Garsdale head, up and over to hawes, then over Newby Moss to Settle then home. Would my battery have lasted?

or would I need a hybrid and drag 1/2 ton of useless battery up all those hills?
Tesla Model S over Kirkstone Pass in winter with 5 adults and a dog

Nissan Leaf over Hardknott

Further afield many EV owners in Norway and the Alps routinely drive up mountain passes. Tesla themselves have their prototype Semi tractors pulling goods over the 7,200 ft Donner Pass between their factories. The regen brakes on the way down recharge the batteries again.

The VW ID R currently holds the outright record at Pike's Peak. Unlike ICE vehicles, EVs don't lose performance as the air thins with altitude

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

As others have said, hills are largely irrelevant in power consumption for electric cars.

In a Tesla S, you could have got from Skipton, through Settle to the M6, over Shap, over Beattock, over Drumochter, and parked in the Macdonald hotel in Aviemore on one charge. Then a nice lunch there, and 75mins later you’d be charged up and ready for the drive home. That’s if you wanted to drive over 600 miles in a day with only one break. (Something I have done a number of times - it’s not recommended).

Status
Not open for further replies.